The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Staples New "fine Writing Instruments" Section. Starts To Sell Good Fps Again.

parker sheaffer cross

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Stewart Gibson

Stewart Gibson

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2013 - 23:25

Hi I have been in three Staples in my home town this week, and they have one model of  Cross FP, and Waterman cartridges (black)  Here's hoping that  this new fine writing display finds its way into at least one of the local stores.

Stu

I am new here, know nothing, but love writing with a fountain pen.

Sponsored Content

#42 harlequin-RIH

harlequin-RIH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:09

The Targets here have a huge stock of Trapper Keepers.  I almost bought several myself, just out of nostalgia ^_~.

#43 oldmatekev

oldmatekev

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:43

Well I'll be!

The Staples Australia website has what appears to be a silver coloured Pilot Metropolitan, but they call it a 'Mr'.

They want $36 for it, and it says it comes with black ink, no mention of a converter.

http://www.staples.c...ver-barrel?r=se

I they also have some Pilot 'Knight' pens in a few colours for $64.

I can't find any ink at all though. Not much choice here then.

#44 bleair

bleair

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:50

The Targets here have a huge stock of Trapper Keepers.  I almost bought several myself, just out of nostalgia ^_~.

Whoa, hehe, I'll have to tell my fiancee...hmm, maybe I shouldn't as I know she will have to go a get a couple... That is so cool.

I didn't think they still made those..  Way way back, like in middle school, I used them, though they would always be destroyed by the end of the semster (I was not nice to my locker/desk supplies back then :).

I'm old enough that I remember when mead came out with "5 star" notebooks and it was the first time that a notebook held up to my abuse. 

I wish I had known about nice paper and notebooks back then.

#45 harlequin-RIH

harlequin-RIH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:44

Well I'll be!

The Staples Australia website has what appears to be a silver coloured Pilot Metropolitan, but they call it a 'Mr'.

They want $36 for it, and it says it comes with black ink, no mention of a converter.

<snip>

The Metropolitan had the name of MR internationally, just not in the US.  Same pen though.  I think Pilot actually has a different pen available in other countries called a Metropolitan, one which isn't available in the States.

#46 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:53

Harlequin, I'd thought of heading down there yesterday but thought perhaps they'd be out because school starts next week. Maybe I should've gone. I ended up ordering a couple from Amazon and they should be here the day school starts.

Bleair, I'm old enough to not remember the Five Star line. My husband said the only Trappers he knew worked in the woods and his notebooks were cloth covered three ring binders. Congratulations on your impending nuptials!

#47 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:44

Having read Sean's report of Staples website, I eagerly went to the Staples UK website.

What a disappointment. :crybaby:  A few Parker fountain pens and no bottled ink at all that I can find. 

True, but there are Parker cartridges, and Waterman/International cartridges for other pen types.

Not a good choice, I agree. However the WH Smith website isn't quite so bad even if the shops are pretty ropey for good pens.

Regards,

Richard.

#48 Senecabud

Senecabud

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2013 - 14:56

After reading this thread the other day, I went to my local Staples.  They had the fine writing instruments display as shown at the beginning of this thread, but neither the shelf tags beneath the fountain pens nor the little cards which you would carry to the cashier indicated the nib size of any of the pens I saw in that display.  (I hadn't intended to purchase one, as I went there to buy other items and was merely curious.) I asked a clerk if they sold any bottled ink, but he didn't know and referred me to the manager.  So I asked the manager--probably in his mid-thirties--whether they carry bottled ink, and he seemed unaware that bottled ink is still sold.  He said pens these days use cartridges, although I saw none near that display except for non-fountain pens.  I pointed out to him that many pens use both cartridges and bottled ink via a converter.

Hmmm.  I wonder what happens if someone new to fountain pens buys a pen from that display and then discovers that they neither have ink nor can buy any when the pen runs dry, assuming it came with a cartridge.  

Pat Trent - The photo is my dog, Seneca

#49 ISW_Kaputnik

ISW_Kaputnik

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 19:40

My staples has the same display and if you want to buy something you have to pick up an empty box that the pen would normally come in because all the real ones are behind the counter. There is only one high quality pen you can actually see in a real box and it's a ballpoint and pencil Parker set in gold for like $50. But you can see an exploding ink pack through the box window to stop you from taking them (unless you open the box and take the pen out and put it in your pocket). But that big display they have with the pens in it, there's like 6 fountain pens but people actually found out how to steal the pens from the theif proof display (i dont have a clue how they do it) and they stole a bunch of thin Cross pens. So now my local staples has to bend the nibs of the fountain pens before putting them on display and remove the ink from the ball points.

And the staples near me sells the Pens, cartridges, and converters for Cross pens but not the bottles of ink.

I was in our local Staples this afternoon, and noticed the bent nibs.  There were 6 fountain pens in that display, ranging from a $44 Cross Aventura to a $120 Parker Sonnet.  Four had the nibs bent up at a 90º angle, one had one of the tines bent sharply downward, but the remaining one, the low end Cross, didn't seem to be damaged.  I was wondering if the store had done it to discourage thieves, or if some frustrated thief had done it to protest not being able to steal the pens.  Since others have noticed it, it must be the former.

As an anti-theft measure, taking the ink out of the ballpoints or rollerballs doesn't seem like much of a deterrent.  The crooks could always steal the refills separately (and probably do). 

On second thought, though, they could take the springs out of them too.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik, 12 April 2014 - 19:47.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do." - Benjamin Franklin

#50 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 21:39

My Staples has been like this long as I remember, but nothing really of interest to me on there. 

#51 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 00:23

I'm glad this thread got brought back up again. I was actually in my local Staples today and did go over to their "Fine Writing Instruments" section to check out what they have.

• They now stock the Parker IM Premium fountain pen. They also have the Premium Jotters in blister packs.
  • They had a bigger selection of ink cartridges including Cross in blue and black and boxes of Waterman Intense Black ink cartridges.

I was in our local Staples this afternoon, and noticed the bent nibs.  There were 6 fountain pens in that display, ranging from a $44 Cross Aventura to a $120 Parker Sonnet.  Four had the nibs bent up at a 90º angle, one had one of the tines bent sharply downward, but the remaining one, the low end Cross, didn't seem to be damaged.  I was wondering if the store had done it to discourage thieves, or if some frustrated thief had done it to protest not being able to steal the pens.  Since others have noticed it, it must be the former.

I've noticed this as well. Most of the fountain pens on display had bent nibs. I'm assuming this is a result of lots of people everyday touching them and not really knowing how to handle a fountain pen.

Edited by Florida Blue, 13 April 2014 - 00:25.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

#52 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 00:48

I'm glad this thread got brought back up again. I was actually in my local Staples today and did go over to their "Fine Writing Instruments" section to check out what they have.

• They now stock the Parker IM Premium fountain pen. They also have the Premium Jotters in blister packs.
  • They had a bigger selection of ink cartridges including Cross in blue and black and boxes of Waterman Intense Black ink cartridges.

I've noticed this as well. Most of the fountain pens on display had bent nibs. I'm assuming this is a result of lots of people everyday touching them and not really knowing how to handle a fountain pen.

:P All that and they don't even have blotting paper on their website let alone in the store. (but how many of us use them?)

#53 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:00

Crane's retail stores carried a wide range of fps, including high end,  but the stores have mostly disappeared.      Very sad.

The offerings of Staples are basically utilitarian, but like all chain stores, they lack charm, mystery, serendipity, or interest for me.      And many of their wares are overpriced compared to other chains like Target.  

Edited by Blade Runner, 13 April 2014 - 01:05.

#54 DaveBj

DaveBj

Viking Pen Wielder

• Member - Gold

• 806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:04

I wonder if OfficeMax would take the hint.  Probably not.  Especially in small towns like mine :(

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick.  --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

#55 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:08

I wonder if OfficeMax would take the hint.  Probably not.  Especially in small towns like mine :(

I think they're only going to carry what sells. Even first, I've yet to actually buy a fountain pen locally. All the ones that interest me and are of decent prices are online, outside of my city. Though I can still get Waterman Large Intense Black cartridges from the local staples. 

#56 Sallent

Sallent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:36

I could care less what Staples or another big box store sells in the way of FPs. I will never buy another from them ever again. FPs are supposed to be a very personal tool, but these big box stores make the experience very impersonal and very frustrating. In most cases you can't touch or feel what you are buying before you buy it, and in all cases you can never test it before you buy it. Plus waiting for the store manager to come with a key to open a display, and then looking at you as a potential criminal as you hold the product before paying for it, that is not a good experience. And frankly, none of the staff at these big box stores know anything about FPs and will not take the time to answer any questions you may have, or bother to find out for you. When I was a new FP person, if it hadn't been for the Miami FP show that comes to town once a year, I would have given up on FP. After several bad experiences with big box stores, I was about to give up on FPs until I attended the FP show one year. After one day there testing all kinds of pens and actually learning about them, I was hooked. I never went back to a big box store with the express purpose of buying a FP.

Edited by Sallent, 13 April 2014 - 04:38.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

#57 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:39

I could care less what Staples or another big box store sells in the way of FPs. I will never buy another from them ever again. FPs are supposed to be a very personal tool, but these big box stores make the experience very impersonal and very frustrating. In most cases you can't touch or feel what you are buying before you buy it, and in all cases you can never test it before you buy it. Plus waiting for the store manager to come with a key to open a display, and then looking at you as a potential criminal as you hold the product before paying for it, that is not a good experience. And frankly, none of the staff at these big box stores know anything about FPs and will not take the time to answer any questions you may have, or bother to find out for you. When I was a new FP person, if it hadn't been for the Miami FP show that comes to town once a year, I would have given up on FP. After several bad experiences with big box stores, I was about to give up on FPs until I attended the FP show one year. After one day there testing all kinds of pens and actually learning about them, I was hooked. I never went back to a big box store with the express purpose of buying a FP.

In my area there's not a single place I can go to actually 'touch and feel' a FP other than a staples locked up in those vertical displays. Have to rely on what's said online. 

#58 BT-7274

BT-7274

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Location:Thread[0] (Suspended: Signal 'SIGINT' received. Description: Interrupt.)
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 21:11

Surprisingly, for a college town, Amherst, MA has quite a selection at the local stationer's, AJ Hastings. Sadly, most of it is behind a glass counter, but they do stock a full selection of Safaris, Al-stars, various Sheaffer pens including an odd holiday pen, low end Parkers, Cross FP's, and a bunch of Pelikan M205s. All topped off with a decent, behind-the-counter selection of Waterman, Parker, Sheaffer, and Pelikan inks behind the counter.

For the Pelikans though, I was sorely tempted to just impulse buy the Toledo M205 they had today.

Calculating.

#59 highlander1307

highlander1307

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 23:07

More vendors selling Fountain Pens has to be a good thing. 

#60 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 00:24

:P All that and they don't even have blotting paper on their website let alone in the store. (but how many of us use them?)

Well, they are no Goulet Pens  :P. I actually never used blotting paper until I bought my first bottle of Lamy ink. It is useful for cleaning off the nib after filling with ink, even though that is not the intended purpose. 

More vendors selling Fountain Pens has to be a good thing. 

I wholeheartedly agree. Staples may not be a dedicated, independently-owned pen shop with knowledgable staff, but it gives people who don't have access to B&M pen shops the opportunity to at least examine and touch a few different fountain pens. They have several now for sale, only Parker and Cross, but many people who were brand new to the hobby reported they bought their first fountain pen from Staples. Many FPNers were introduced to fountain pens when they purchased a Cross Aventura or Bailey for $20 on a whim at Staples and realized how wonderful using a fountain pen was.

They should really think about stocking a few Lamy Safaris and some less expensive Parkers and Sheaffers like the Vector and VFM.

Edited by Florida Blue, 14 April 2014 - 00:26.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, sheaffer, cross

Sponsored Content

|