Staples New "fine Writing Instruments" Section. Starts To Sell Good Fps Again.

Florida Blue

Wow, thanks Sean, I didn't know Staples sold such great products on their website. I wonder how they would do to start stocking a few bottles of Iroshizuku in some of their stores as a test run?

I would probably buy a bottle. Their prices are very competitive, only $2 more than Goulet.

It would be neat if they started selling the Pilot VP in their new fine writing instruments section.

Hello FB,

No problem! I know it blew my mind when I came across their selection- they were the last place I expected to find Iroshizuku inks! Yes- I'd love to see them expand the selection, too - everyone start buying something there and they probably will. ;)

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Florida Blue

• KBeezie

• corniche

• Harlequin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Staples in Memphis, TN both have this display. If I have the time next visit, I'll ask if I can handle one of the Sonnets.

--flatline

....In fact, I've purchased all of my Metropolitans and all of my Iroshizuku inks through Staple's website. I've been known to buy a Metropolitan just to bump up the order and get the free shipping.

Is there a reason I'm missing why you'd buy Iroshizuku inks from Staples for $30/bottle rather than Amazon at $21 - $22/bottle including free shipping?

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

I got down to my nearest Staples as soon as I had the chance, excited about the possibilities... but alas, the Fine Writing instruments display contained only ballpoints and rollerballs, no FPs. Oh, well... its a start. At least I have an excuse to stop by Staples more regularly.

Is there a reason I'm missing why you'd buy Iroshizuku inks from Staples for $30/bottle rather than Amazon at $21 - $22/bottle including free shipping?

It's a numbers game, Felix- at Amazon, I'd have to buy TWO bottles to get the free shipping. If I were ever buying multiple bottles at the same time, I'd get them from Amazon.

- Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

I got down to my nearest Staples as soon as I had the chance, excited about the possibilities... but alas, the Fine Writing instruments display contained only ballpoints and rollerballs, no FPs. Oh, well... its a start. At least I have an excuse to stop by Staples more regularly.

Hey Jess, that's a shame. :(

- Sean :)

When Staples first opened, Staples sold many high-end pens including Montblanc (the full line of black and burgundy Montblanc's) and Pelikan (the 800 series) as well as a wide variety of pen refills. The variety paper products was diverse as well. However, over the years, the paper selection has been greatly reduced, and the sale of high-end pens was eliminated completely. It is too bad that the initial wonderland of pens and papers that Staples used to be was reduced to the limited-selection box store that frequently feels like a wasteland devoid of choices.

Edited by elysee

My staples has the same display and if you want to buy something you have to pick up an empty box that the pen would normally come in because all the real ones are behind the counter. There is only one high quality pen you can actually see in a real box and it's a ballpoint and pencil Parker set in gold for like $50. But you can see an exploding ink pack through the box window to stop you from taking them (unless you open the box and take the pen out and put it in your pocket). But that big display they have with the pens in it, there's like 6 fountain pens but people actually found out how to steal the pens from the theif proof display (i dont have a clue how they do it) and they stole a bunch of thin Cross pens. So now my local staples has to bend the nibs of the fountain pens before putting them on display and remove the ink from the ball points.

And the staples near me sells the Pens, cartridges, and converters for Cross pens but not the bottles of ink.

Having read Sean's report of Staples website, I eagerly went to the Staples UK website.

What a disappointment. :crybaby: A few Parker fountain pens and no bottled ink at all that I can find.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Would you all mind saying where you're from if you're reporting on whether your Staples has these? It would be interesting to see if there is any regional variation.

Wow, thanks Sean, I didn't know Staples sold such great products on their website. I wonder how they would do to start stocking a few bottles of Iroshizuku in some of their stores as a test run?

If they did Iroshizuku, they would HAVE to have something cheaper as well. You don't want to give people the idea that it costs that much to run a fountain pen. Private Reserve is only $9 per bottle. Diamine 30ml would be fantastic. Regardless, the variety in color choice is one of the biggest inducements toward fountain pen use for many people and if they want to sell FPs, they should be incorporating that selling point into their strategy. (ETA: I doubt it would pay off for them to have a good selection of ink, but they need to do better than one dusty bottle of Quink black on a bottom shelf somewhere)

The lack of support that refillable products get at big-box stores is laughable anyway. Who would even think of looking in the dingy and disorganized refill ghetto instead of just buying a new pen? And they don't even have refills for a lot of products they sell. I saw some highlighter there that had "refillable" emblazoned all over the package and included an extra refill too. Did Staples have more refills for it? Nope. I suspect that they just make a lot less per SF on refills than they do selling new pens. Maybe there's a way to change that.

Edited by Elizabeth in NJ

If they did Iroshizuku, they would HAVE to have something cheaper as well. You don't want to give people the idea that it costs that much to run a fountain pen. Private Reserve is only $9 per bottle. Diamine 30ml would be fantastic. Regardless, the variety in color choice is one of the biggest inducements toward fountain pen use for many people and if they want to sell FPs, they should be incorporating that selling point into their strategy. (ETA: I doubt it would pay off for them to have a good selection of ink, but they need to do better than one dusty bottle of Quink black on a bottom shelf somewhere)

The lack of support that refillable products get at big-box stores is laughable anyway. Who would even think of looking in the dingy and disorganized refill ghetto instead of just buying a new pen? And they don't even have refills for a lot of products they sell. I saw some highlighter there that had "refillable" emblazoned all over the package and included an extra refill too. Did Staples have more refills for it? Nope. I suspect that they just make a lot less per SF on refills than they do selling new pens. Maybe there's a way to change that.

That is a good point. A selling point for fountain pens could be the seemingly endless choice of bottled ink color. The only problem I could foresee (which is what I think you alluded to) with offering dozens of ink colors is that Staples would have to devote a considerable amount of shelf space for it and inventory in stores. That's why I think it would be best to offer only the basics first (blue, black, blue/black, red). Maybe they could have a catalog of all the Iroshizuku colors in a booklet on a wire near the pen display (with color samples), like when you buy paint. The catalog could mention that you can order the inks online or in store and have it shipped to the store for free.

My staples has the same display and if you want to buy something you have to pick up an empty box that the pen would normally come in because all the real ones are behind the counter. There is only one high quality pen you can actually see in a real box and it's a ballpoint and pencil Parker set in gold for like $50. But you can see an exploding ink pack through the box window to stop you from taking them (unless you open the box and take the pen out and put it in your pocket). But that big display they have with the pens in it, there's like 6 fountain pens but people actually found out how to steal the pens from the theif proof display (i dont have a clue how they do it) and they stole a bunch of thin Cross pens. So now my local staples has to bend the nibs of the fountain pens before putting them on display and remove the ink from the ball points.

What a shame! I guess this would prevent Staples from ever allowing people to test the pens or even hold them before you buy.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

What a shame! I guess this would prevent Staples from ever allowing people to test the pens or even hold them before you buy.

They might let you test them if you walk over to the counter and ask to test it in their presence but i dont imagine the people in line behind you would be very happy with that distraction. I know i was getting annoyed when i was there the other day and there was a teacher in line ahead of me buying $200 worth of paper with like 20 coupons. It took forever. Edited by Dj Shift

I sincerely doubt they will let you test anything. First, if they did, they couldn't sell it as new anymore and they don't sell used items. Second, they wouldn't have anything to test it with, not even water. If you want to test a pen, you go to a pen store, not an office supply store that happens to carry pens.

• 2 weeks later...

In all, this is a good sign. My local Staples, 184th and Broadway, NYC, does not have the fountain pen and ink selection, but it would be nice to have Diamine inks and Parker Sonnet, and the less expensive Sheaffer pens.

Lately, my Staples seems to have reduced their pens of all sorts -- including throw-aways -- but added expenive journals. Maybe fountain pens will make a comeback as the pen that "everyone" uses when writing in a Moleskine-equivalent?

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I took my son school supply shopping at Staples today and they had a large selection of not only Moleskine notebooks but planners, too, and notepads as well as other Moleskine products. I am going to switch from my Filofax to a Moleskine planner for 2014. I really like them!

Of course, no one has Trapper Keepers and my son needs two for 6th grade so I ended up ordering them on Amazon. I know the teachers don't check stores to see if what they put on their supply lists is in stock or even being made anymore! I was saying to a friend that I've not seen a Trapper Keeper since the 70s!

I took my son school supply shopping at Staples today and they had a large selection of not only Moleskine notebooks but planners, too, and notepads as well as other Moleskine products. I am going to switch from my Filofax to a Moleskine planner for 2014. I really like them!

Of course, no one has Trapper Keepers and my son needs two for 6th grade so I ended up ordering them on Amazon. I know the teachers don't check stores to see if what they put on their supply lists is in stock or even being made anymore! I was saying to a friend that I've not seen a Trapper Keeper since the 70s!

Now I'm curious. What is a Trapper Keeper?

Now I'm curious. What is a Trapper Keeper?

They're essentially just binders, but with an extra flap that has velcro so you can sort of bind it.

Kinda works similar to a zippered binder, IMO.