Exchange Nibs At Chartpak

DrCodfish

I am in the running on an acution for a Pelikan M800 tortoise. The pen I am bidding on comes with an M nib. I understand that ChartPak offers nib exchanges but also read here that Pel is discontinuing production of broader nibs. How can I find out if Chartpak has a BB nib that I could exchange for an M nib?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrCodfish

• PaperQueen

• AndrewC

• MarkTrain

Chartpak Inc.
1 River Road
Leeds, MA 01053

Tel.: 1.800.628.1910, 1.413.584.6781

or, see here;

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US.Pelikan.displayContactForm.136353.form.customerService./contact-consumer-service

This oughta do it for you...

BTW, if they don't have it, try posting a WTT on the board and perhaps someone will come though with one.

Edited by AndrewC

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

I am in the running on an acution for a Pelikan M800 tortoise. The pen I am bidding on comes with an M nib. I understand that ChartPak offers nib exchanges but also read here that Pel is discontinuing production of broader nibs. How can I find out if Chartpak has a BB nib that I could exchange for an M nib? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think the conclusion was that only obliques were being discontiuned, not BB and 3B. Also you should note that ChartPak only does nib exchanges for pens purchased from authorized dealers in the USA (not sure if that applies to your case or not).

OK, thanks for the scoop. This is a retail seller in Fla selling on Ebay. I will contact them to find out if they are an 'authorized dealer'. Perhaps I will also check with ChartPak.

Thanks again for all your help.

I contacted the seller via Ebay messages and they responded quickly (like that). They said they don't buy directly from Pelikan and didn't know who or what ChartPak was. At this point, no big deal, I am a long way from being a happy new owner. I'll worry about a replacement nib in the off chance that I win the pen.

Good luck bidding. If you win you might contact Rick Propas ("The Penguin"). He seems to deal in all things Pelikan, also posts frequently on FPN.

OK;

Now I am pretty excited and well ....... let's just leave it at that, REALLY excited! I did win the auction for that Pelikan M800 Tortoise! It is about as far away from me as a pen could be and still be in the continental US. Even so, if things go as they shoud I expect to have this pen in hand sometime next week.

When these came out I salivated: When you all started posting your pics and praises as you received them, I went to full on drooling. I would not say I was jealous, but assuming I would never own one, it was more like appreciating a new Ferrari than anything 'possible'.

Because I am fairly new to fountan pens I thought new stock of these pens would have been sold off by now. I also thought those which popped up second hand (little or no use) would be at or possibly slightly above the newstock price. I guess my novice-ness is showing. There still seems to be plenty of these availabe new. Does this pattern comform with past experience? Is there any way to know how many of these pens have been produced?

I have reviewed the ChartPak site and the nib exchange procedure does not appear to be crystal clear. I'll dive into that once I have the pen in hand. But tell me: is it best to call to make this arrangement or better to email to get the details? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

By about Wednesday, the post mistress in our little rural P O will know that I am looking for something special, (she's seen this before). We don't get weekend delivey and the P O closes promptly at 5:00 pm, but once she went so far as to give me a calll at home when a package came in that I was jonesing for. It's still like that in (my) small town America.

As a kid, my mom was forever telling me to "be PATIENT!" As I got a little older my response was: "Making me wait does not make me patient!"

I would contact chartpak. They were great with dealing with my IB that was not correct. It was not purchased from the US and had no issues.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Excellent news Tarheel, thanks for the advice. When you contacted them, did you call (phone) or Email? Wanting to get off on the right foot.

• 1 year later...

So glad to find this thread; my Pelikan M805 engraved demonstrator just cleared U.S. Customs (purchased on eBay from a seller in Singapore...for a lovely price). Am hopeful the F nib will fit my needs, but if not, I'm relieved to know there are options.

(P.S. to DrCodfish: I sooooo understand your excitement. By Monday---estimated delivery day---I'll be bouncing at the front door like an over-anxious puppy.)

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

So glad to find this thread; my Pelikan M805 engraved demonstrator just cleared U.S. Customs (purchased on eBay from a seller in Singapore...for a lovely price). Am hopeful the F nib will fit my needs, but if not, I'm relieved to know there are options.

(P.S. to DrCodfish: I sooooo understand your excitement. By Monday---estimated delivery day---I'll be bouncing at the front door like an over-anxious puppy.)

My Experience with Abi at Chartpak has been wonderful on every occasion. But you may have trouble with a nib exchange for your pen. In order to qualify for a nib exchange through Char pak you must meet several conditions:

1. Your pan must have been purchased from an authorized Pelikan dealer. Abi may be able to help determine if you met this criteria.

2.There is a limited tie window, I think I recall it being 30 days.

3. I Think you must have purchased your pen in the United States. I can't recall if this is for certain or not, but again, Abi will help you know this.

If you go to the Pelikan forum and ask the question the members there will be able to help you learn all the ins and outs of nib exchange. It may be that you have to return your pen to Hannover for a nib exchange. Let us hope that your new F nib pen meets your needs. Buy the way I envy you your new pen I think those engraved demonstrators are really neat and that plum ink of your choice will really pop. One word of caution however; In my experience, most inks in the red section of the color wheel will stain your demonstrator, (don't ask me how I know this).

3. I Think you must have purchased your pen in the United States. I can't recall if this is for certain or not, but again, Abi will help you know this.

I talked with Abi in February and she said that as long as the the seller is an authorized dealer Chartpak will honor the warranty, even if the pen was bought abroad.

Thanks for the info, DrCodfish and Lam1. Could have sworn the seller was an authorized dealer, but just doubled back to his website...not an a.d.

If not for the fact he's a Top Rated Plus seller with 100% positive feedback, my nerves would be jangling right now.

One word of caution however; In my experience, most inks in the red section of the color wheel will stain your demonstrator, (don't ask me how I know this).

Thanks for the reminder---completely slipped my mind. Something tells me, from those last few words, I might not be the only one who forgot...? ;)

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

Well that is a bit of good news (about foreign based sellers).

I was able to get my new style M200 clean, very clean but there is just the slightest hint of pink at the junction of the feed and the body of the pen, and then again in the threads where the nib threads in. But that Diamine Red Dragon, sloshing around inside the pen was nearly mesmerizing. I think a big part of my problem is that I prefer highly saturated inks, I like the vivid color and shading on the page.

I think inks that are a little more tame such as the older Pelikan 4001 range are probably better suited to demonstrators if you don't want to stain the pen. Of course all the standard hygiene practices are absolutely necessary no matter the brand or color of ink.

This was the case for a while and seems to have gotten pretty firmly planted into the mind set of Pelikan aficionados. A nice reversal of policy as stated is that Chartpak is servicing all pens purchased from authorized dealers, regardless of the country of origin. That's info is coming straight from Abi at Chartpak; http://wp.me/p4XMw3-tP

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Well I have not had occasion to use this service in the last two years so either things change or this is another case of my memory being a little better than the actual circumstances. In any event it is surely good news and one obstacle avoided for the OP.

But that Diamine Red Dragon, sloshing around inside the pen was nearly mesmerizing. I think a big part of my problem is that I prefer highly saturated inks, I like the vivid color and shading on the page.

Ooooooh...gorgeous. Would definitely have been a "looker."