101N Short Cap Top

pmn

Hi,

Recently I’ve managed to pick up this short cap-top 101N you see in the picture.

fpn_1375866448__3tortoise_1.jpg

fpn_1375866506__3tortoise_2.jpg

The piston knob and cap top are in red HR, 2 child logo, and the piston has a cork seal.

The Binde is integrated in the body, like those form the Italian production.

And it has the Emege marking on the cap.

It is a nice pen but I guess there is a major issue in it.

The nib and the 3 vane feeder are correct but there is no collar or “screw in” ability, nib and feeder must be punched out from the other end to remove. The section seems shorter and is welded to the body.

Is this a creative Emege variation? I’m more inclined to think this was a repair done at some point in its life.

Also I’d say the “Danzig” style clip seems like a replacement.

What do you think?

I’d very much appreciate your comments and maybe a picture to compare.

This is not one of the easiest ones to find reference on.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pmn

• Rafael Macia

• Soot

• Barutti

Top Posters In This Topic

From your pictures it seems that the section of the short cap pen doesn't have that flare like the other two pens. It's always possible that the pen you have is a mix of two pens, cap from one, and the barrel from another.

Attached is my Italian made 100N -- see the section is flared and has that step between the barrel.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7351/9253452325_146ffc83ae_b.jpg

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Good point, indeed probable that this was built from bits and pieces out of a parts box.

Thanks for the foto, that is precisely what I imagine the section of this 101n should look like.

I'm assuming yours has the usual "screw-in" nib, right?

That is a very beautiful pen!

Well, I guess we have the first entry on the "to do" list of this pen- replace section.

Edited by pmn

Hi.. Thanks for sharing the photos of your wonderful pens.. If you don't mind sharing, it that emerge pen, especially the Magnum, can be easily found in Portugal? Will the pen fetch a premium price there?

Hi daenghafez,

I guess you know that Emegê was a marking from the Pelikan Portuguese distributor in those days so, one would say it is more likely to find one over here.

However I don´t know how many people in Portugal could afford expensive pens then, and how many were actually sold.

Magnums are not a common sighting, even over here, eventually one might discover one in the wild, in a flea market or such.

I'd say that if such lucky event happens, most likely, price will not be the problem.

I do consider myself reallly lucky having found the one pictured above.

I'm assuming yours has the usual "screw-in" nib, right?

Well, I guess we have the first entry on the "to do" list of this pen- replace section.

Yes, it's a screw-in nib unit. As for section replacement-- is that possible? I didn't know the section can be taken off...

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Thank you for sharing the info. Rare pen indeed.. :)

Hi daenghafez,

I guess you know that Emegê was a marking from the Pelikan Portuguese distributor in those days so, one would say it is more likely to find one over here.

However I don´t know how many people in Portugal could afford expensive pens then, and how many were actually sold.

Magnums are not a common sighting, even over here, eventually one might discover one in the wild, in a flea market or such.

I'd say that if such lucky event happens, most likely, price will not be the problem.

I do consider myself reallly lucky having found the one pictured above.

Hi Soot,

I'm sure it is easier said than done. I can foresee two major dificult steps in that:

- sourcing a proper section to install,

- removing the present section, causing no damage to the body.

I can imagine a lathe may be needed for both...

Nevertheless, as you see, I am sitll maturing my thoughts on this pen and what to do with it.

To mess with a pen that has survived this long must never be an urgent matter.

(I keep repeating this to myself ;) )

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Recently I’ve managed to pick up this short cap-top 101N you see in the picture.

fpn_1375866448__3tortoise_1.jpg

fpn_1375866506__3tortoise_2.jpg

The piston knob and cap top are in red HR, 2 child logo, and the piston has a cork seal.

The Binde is integrated in the body, like those form the Italian production.

And it has the Emege marking on the cap.

It is a nice pen but I guess there is a major issue in it.

The nib and the 3 vane feeder are correct but there is no collar or “screw in” ability, nib and feeder must be punched out from the other end to remove. The section seems shorter and is welded to the body.

Is this a creative Emege variation? I’m more inclined to think this was a repair done at some point in its life.

Also I’d say the “Danzig” style clip seems like a replacement.

What do you think?

I’d very much appreciate your comments and maybe a picture to compare.

This is not one of the easiest ones to find reference on.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

My idea is that The section is not from Pelikan. It lacks the fluted front. And Pelikan nib/feeds are screw in.

The Danzig clips are all over. I was told a seperate supply than Pelikan in Poland supplied those clips (Danzig style) for many pens as a replacement clip. My guess is it is not original to the pen.

But remember, these pens were expensive. If a customer took his Magnum back,and said he did not like the clip, or it was bent, etc. ... the store replaced it. The same with nibs and feeds.

It is impossible to say this or that is original.

The Danzig clip looks out of place, ..... who knows more. quien sabe ?

but again I think the front section was major surgery.

rafael

Edited by Rafael Macia

"Beautiful is that which happens without interest"

Kant

My idea is that The section is not from Pelikan. It lacks the fluted front. And Pelikan nib/feeds are screw in.

The Danzig clips are all over. I was told a seperate supply than Pelikan in Poland supplied those clips (Danzig style) for many pens as a replacement clip. My guess is it is not original to the pen.

But remember, these pens were expensive. If a customer took his Magnum back,and said he did not like the clip, or it was bent, etc. ... the store replaced it. The same with nibs and feeds.

It is impossible to say this or that is original.

The Danzig clip looks out of place, ..... who knows more. quien sabe ?

Kant

Hello PMC,

Nice finds you have there

The Pelikan 101N / 100N short cap top will take a Pelikan Ibis clip, or Pelikan 130 clip, Rappen also.

If you need a section let me know.

All the best

Victor

Victor Barrocas

Oficina das Canetas

Sorry PMC, I don't know how .... I edited you post. This site sometimes is difficult.

Kant

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I thought it would be a long time before I could make this post, but here it is:

The 101N short cap with new section, screw in nib unit, a fesh cork and a borrowed IBIS clip.

fpn_1380228585__101nsc_1.jpg

fpn_1380227605__101nsc_2.jpg

I thank all for the inputs, making a special reference to piscov, for his precious help in completing this.