• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heymatthew

• chad.trent

• hardyb

• DanF

I have not had the leakage problem with the two I own. I think the nib is the type that screws into the grip, could it just be a little loose? Maybe a little silicon grease on the nib unit threads might help?

The Danitrio Fellowship

I haven't had any leakage problem with mine, nor have I heard of that happening with others. I suspect you either got a bad one from the start, or it didn't like being in your pants pocket, which is really a pretty harsh environment for a standard sized pen, especially a cheap one. Given where the leak occurred, it looks like it flexed some at the cap and barrel junction, and bent a little instead of breaking. It may have done some permanent damage, or maybe just a one time leak. Would be interesting to know if it would leak if filled again and left to sit for a while, perhaps with an ink that cleans up more easily.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I have not had the leakage problem with the two I own. I think the nib is the type that screws into the grip, could it just be a little loose? Maybe a little silicon grease on the nib unit threads might help?

I'll check the nib to see if it's loose. Thanks for the tip.

I haven't had any leakage problem with mine, nor have I heard of that happening with others. I suspect you either got a bad one from the start, or it didn't like being in your pants pocket, which is really a pretty harsh environment for a standard sized pen, especially a cheap one. Given where the leak occurred, it looks like it flexed some at the cap and barrel junction, and bent a little instead of breaking. It may have done some permanent damage, or maybe just a one time leak. Would be interesting to know if it would leak if filled again and left to sit for a while, perhaps with an ink that cleans up more easily.

Dan

I can only report on my own findings and share my experiences with others. I have carried almost all of my pens in my jeans pocket without a single incident. I guess cheap pens just need to be left on a desk or carefully tucked away in a pen roll so they don't get damaged from daily use, which sort of defeats the purpose of buying a cheap pen. Most people buy them so they don't have to carry their more expensive pens and risk damaging them. I've carried my Edison Hudson and Morgan; TWSBI 540, 700 and Micarta; Lamy Safari, Al-Star, Studio and 2000; Pilot Custom Heritage 74 and 91; and a host of other pens that I've had (or still have) and none of them have ever leaked a drop or been damaged in any way. I've had them with me at work, at the bar, at dinner, walking around big cities, in the summer, in the winter, at the farm, at the shooting range... You name it, my pens have been there. I have little use for a pen that has to be coddled as I can only afford a certain number of pens and none of mine are "case queens" (just like I enjoy firearms, but they're all users... I don't buy limited edition guns or custom guns that I can't shoot because I can't afford to own something that I don't use).

I suspect you're right, though, that this pen doesn't like being carried in a pocket which makes it useless to me as that is where I carry my pens (I keep a 3-pen case in my messenger bag, but I don't always have that with me).

As for the ink cleaning up easily, Liberty's Elysium comes right out of all of my pens. I'm letting it sit for a while, though, to see what it does, but I'm guessing it's fine just sitting, which, again, doesn't do me any good as a real-world test of a pen for me is in my front pants pocket.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

Dan

Mine was in a pen case. It went from my desk at home to the front seat of my car to my desk at work. Cap was halfway filled with ink by the time I got there. The four other pens in the case were fine.

It is too early to tell, since I have purchased Nemosine Singularity Demonstrator Fountain Pen (German Fine Nib) only about a month ago, but I have had no problems with ink leakage. While I am on the move, I keep it inside my pen/pencil pouch, which is stashed inside my backpack.

• 1 year later...

I just ordered one and I'm hoping for good things. Personally, I'm looking to collect all the pink pens.

I'm sure you'll have good luck. I have read lots of glowing reviews of the Singularity. I'm sure I got a bad one, but I know from other reviews that I'm not the only one so just give yours a good once over and make sure it's good to go. Best of luck with it and I hope you enjoy it.

:)

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

• 6 months later...

I also recently bought the Singularity, X-Fine nib.

There were no problems while using one of the blue ink cartages that came with it. The pen was used only at my desk. The X-Fine nib seems to need a break in period, it was a bit scratchy.

However, when that ink was used up, I wanted to try Noodlers Polor Black. So I filled the converter with that ink, and it wasted no time giving trouble. First of all, it did not want to write. It had a very dry nib, and I had washed it out very well before filling the converter.

Then I tried Noodlers Walnut. Same thing. I had also ordered a Fine nib just in case. So I swapped them out.

Both of these inks dropped large blobs on my work. I thought maybe it was because while filling the converter, I held it in the bottle, pulling the ink in with the screw at the back. I also checked the seating of the nib, and it is correct. Yet the ink will still blob out.

I now think that maybe a tiny bit of air void at the top of the filled converter could be the problem? The next test is to fill the converter with a syringe, all the way to the top.

I'll use it that way till I can get some good feedback, and then I'll post my results.

Edited by Grave

Caveat emptor, especially with the Nemosine Singularity. I don't think the seller can spell QC. The pen is made so cheaply that, even selling for less than $20, it might be overpriced. Having said that, I use both of mine regularly. My demonstrator, filled with Noodler's Baystate Blue in ED mode, is in my shirt pocket right now. If leaks or other inky mishaps were the only considerations I would never fear leaving the house with either one clipped to my pocket. But, alas, appearances matter. I assume I might bump into one of the other nobs of society, and so I clip a decent pen to my pocket.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.