Lady Duofold Lucky Curve With Ring Top

betweenthelens

I found this today at the local antique mall. It was marked $45 and the seller, who was present, told me she'd take 20% off so I got the pen for $36! I'm very happy. It will need some work but I believe it can be done fairly easily. Thank you to my FPN friend, Tim, for his expertise and patience when discussing the handful of pens I came across today.

Thanks for looking!

post-105006-0-85288200-1375728584_thumb.jpg

post-105006-0-23574900-1375728605_thumb.jpg

post-105006-0-16400700-1375728613_thumb.jpg

post-105006-0-63296700-1375728664_thumb.jpg

Edited by betweenthelens

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• betweenthelens

• rpk1204

• Matth13

• tmenyc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy to have been able to help! It is a pretty one, should fix up easily into a beauty!

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Thank you, Tim! I couldn't have done it without your help and I don't think I'll be able to restore it without your help, either. ;)

Thirty-six bucks? I'm feeling somewhat jealous right now :blush:

Great looking pen, betweenthelens, congrats!

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

Paul, it was a lucky find. Really lucky. I guess the name "Lucky Curve" is apropos. I believe, though, I've bought out all of the good fountain pen stock in the local consignment and antique shops. Hopefully, they'll be more.

You read about the bag of pens I procured for $8, right? In it were a first generation Vacumatic (filler, nib, and two parts of the barrel- a parts pen, clearly), a working Parker 51 in burgundy, an early Sheaffer desk pen, a pretty third tier gold tone pen, and an Osmiroid calligraphic pen with nibs. Come to Hyde Park!

It is, Matth13. Will you be buying a nib/feed for it?

I will probably try to find a new nib and feed sometime in the future. :)

Just scored one of these myself at an antique store for about $40. Maybe in a little nicer shape but it has initials engraved on the cap band. Very easy restore with pressure bar intact and in good shape. Congrats!

Let's see yours, rpk1204. Are you going to restore it on your own? I'm waiting on my kit from Richard Binder and am going to tackle it then along with my Mabie Todd Swan and my Moores.

Here are the pics. Kinda dainty for my hand, so I'll likely be selling - but a very nice example. I did restore the pen myself and love the restoration process. Thanks for asking! Also acquired a nice Lady's Duofold streamline in the same acquisition - another nice pen. Enjoy and thanks for asking!

Randy

post-75618-0-43519900-1375924971_thumb.jpgpost-75618-0-45773500-1375924980_thumb.jpgpost-75618-0-80326900-1375924984_thumb.jpg

Very nice, Randy. Thanks so much for sharing. Was it a difficult restoration? I think the initials add to the charm of the pen, especially if you can find out a bit about the provenance, but I imagine it's easier with a full name rather than just with initials unless you know from whom the pen came.

Yeah, I like that part too - thinking of who may have owned it. I have a big orange Keene from 1929 with a Paine Webber imprint on it. I have fun thinking about who may have owned that right before the big market crash! Anyway, restoration was easy - flushed the nib after disassembly, new sac, the pressure bar and button were in great shape. No big nicks to get out, so a good polish on my buffing wheel and re-assemble. Good luck with yours - post some pics when you are done!

Now that's interesting, Randy. I love orange pens, too. You should post more photos of your collection. I am glad to hear restoration was easy for the Lady Duofold. I will start on the Mabie Todd Swan or perhaps one of the Moores I procured this week, I think, and then move on to the Lady Duofold. I will certainly post pics.

I'll have to find the pics of the Keene. I posted pics of some of my many Esterbrooks over on that forum on your post. My next project is to tear into about 6 vacs I have. I also have one last BCHR Lucky Cuve pen to finish that needed some special work but is turning out nice. My challenge.. what to keep in my "permanent collection" - like the Keene, and what to sell. Have some great Sheaffers and a Parker Duofold pencil in immaculate shape (pic attached). Enjoy!

post-75618-0-49237400-1376017509_thumb.jpgpost-75618-0-48794500-1376017523_thumb.jpg

Randy, we were traveling so I'm just now able to respond to your post. The Duofold pencil is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

You sound like a seasoned restorer, working on Vacs. I have yet to begin my first project and am eager and a bit nervous, too. My repair kit came the day before we left so I will either begin today or tomorrow on a pen.

How many pens do you want to have in your permanent collection?

I suppose around 30, but it will expand. I keep buying, fixing, and selling so I can fund a bigger permanent collection. I'm not a seasoned restorer yet - started with easier, less valuable lever fillers, worked up to better lever fillers, now on to vacs. Then to Sheaffers... snorkels..etc.

A few of my favorites... The Keene of course, a gorgeous Sheaffer Imperial Sovereign set (some real bling), my expanding Sheaffer Jade collection, including a very nice combo with no discoloration. The Duofold pencil, some really nice Skylines (I love their shape).

I have about 5 vacs to restore and at least one will make it in the collection because I like the blue color.

I'll keep posting pics in some of the categorized forums.