Levenger True Writer Sale

jonro

I'm not selling this pen. Levenger is having a sale on the periwinkle version of their True Writer with a fine nib, only $14.95. It's a very smooth-writing pen and the fine nib feels more like a medium to me. The resin is striking, with a lot of depth. The URL is below:

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PROD...d=5578|Link=Txt

Many people feel these pens are an excellent value at retail (about $55). It's a steal at $14.95. The photo below (which doesn't do justice to the pen) is from their Website.

post-10-1170980613_thumb.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonro

• rasmussen

• JRodriguez

• sonia_simone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

does anyone know if you can use paypal at levengers site :)

Wyatt Earp--Wyatt Earp

brave,courageous and bold

long live his fame & long live his glory

and long may his story be told

I think that if it went through and they processed your payment, they probably had them in stock when they placed your order.

I'll be hoping so Jonro. The reason I'm ify though is that it said "call for availability" next to the pen ... I guess we'll see!

Yeah, J, that's why I called 'em right away. After they told me they were sold out, I called 4 Levenger stores hoping they'd have one or two left. Oddly, all of them were surprised HQ had any; apparently they'd been out for months.....

You guys certainly did jump on this deal pretty fast. You're right CoolPenz, I was actually quite surprised that we still had these in our warehouse.

- I want to disclose that I work for Levenger. I've been online for a few months working with productivity communities. FPN is fairly new for me. -

My experiences on Douglas Johnston's DIYPlanner.com and Merlin Mann's 43Folders.com have shown me that open discussions with customers about our products can be just as valuable to the community as it can be to our company. This was most notably the case when we started opening up our new product development to the creative collaboration that takes place every day between those community members. Who better to tell us what works and [often more importantly] what doesn't than the very people we hope to serve. [re - Co-Creation]

link to FPN reference : paper quality | feathering

Levenger's recent decision to focus entirely on the Truewriter line made for some great deals on our other-brand pens. I also know that it disappointed many customers that routinely visited our stores for the primary reason of exploring the pen cases. For me, I'll miss how exciting it was when our vendors would stop by to show us their new lines. This has left us with a pretty big job to do - re: How do we build this line into a compelling pen brand.

I can't think of a more valuable way to learn what needs to be fixed, and what directions you'd like us to pursue, than by listening and responding directly to all of you folks here in the FPN.

From some of the threads I've read, I think I might have a long road ahead of "making things right" with some of the quality issues that have been voiced and the customer experiences that resulted. Nonetheless, I hope this can be a starting point. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions, or just post a question to keep threads organized and drop me an email [that's why it isn't hidden] if you think I should get involved.

I also welcome any thoughts on how you think my affiliated participation should be handled. Every community is different, and I want to be sure that my activity is adding value to the whole site. I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

Ryan Rasmussen

Ryan,

It is great to have someone from the other side of the counter in the forum.

One of the issues that have come up a number of times with Levenger is the policy of giving support only to the products sold through their stores or online. As it is, I have bought two TrueWriters from other forum members, found that the nib was too wide for me, got in touch with Levenger and been told that they will neither exchange the nib nor sell me a new nib unless I show my bill... The comparison with Chartpack, the company that runs Pelikan's customer service in the States, is very favorable to them.

Just my USD 2%.

Julio

Edited by julikko

The problem with ideas is that good ideas and bad ideas look about the same until you put them into practice.

Hi Rasmussen,

Well, you wouldn't be the first person from a pen company/store to participate in this forum. There are a couple of other's like James from the Pear Tree Pen Company, Winedoc (Kevin) from internet pens, Richard Binder from Richardspens.com, Corniche which is the maker of Colfer's Imperial inks and few others.

They participa by giving us information, sometimes annoncing promotions from their store, and many times correcting or informating us in a rationnal non partisan way. As long as you are not pushing your product or bashing on others there shouldn't be any problems. Some only post in the marketplace, other are important contributor to the wealth of information on different pens, history, and pen property, care......

Welcome aboard

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

well, if feedback is wanted on the True Writers...

I ordered three of the periwinkles, two showed up with parts fallen off the pen and laying there in the box next to the pen--actually, of such a nature that it's hard to believe it could happen in transit and they must have just been shipped that way. On one the central larger metal band that says Levenger on it was laying there in the box next to the pen. On one the metal band that should go around the converter was similarly laying there in the box next to the pen. So one out of three showed up fully intact, basically, which isn't so impressive.

Actual performance wise, the fine nib as mentioned is too wide, more like a medium at best, it sometimes balks a bit starting out. Once it is actually writing it does ok. The caps sometimes are a bit balky screwing on and off as well, the barrel sometimes comes unscrewed, however, to make up for it...

The Kyoto is actually quite a nice looking pen if you get that color. The periwinkle is less striking (and is even LESS appealing with parts missing...). Seems like they need to work on the ol quality control a bit or just carry various brands like they used to.

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

Like Scubie02, I've had a couple of pens shipped to me from Levenger that should never have left the store. Specifically, the problems were: a loose cap band, a mangled nib, and a mangled sac. Not to mention the nibs that were caked in ink.

All my pen purchases (over half a dozen orders) occurred end of last year. None of the pens were secured/wrapped beyond the little elastic bands in their original boxes... which means that most of my pens were left to tumble around in their boxes. To be honest, I came away from this thinking that their salespeople know absolutely nothing about fountain pens. I'll probably never buy anything that's even remotely fragile through their website or phone order.

To be fair, the rest of my orders came through just fine. Their shipping has always been prompt, and the cost reasonable.

Ryan, great to have you here! I think it's a fine idea.

I think if you just add a signature to your account with your title and Levenger's name, you'll be in great shape. This place is quite friendly to businesspeople as long as they don't try to hide their affiliations, which you certainly have not.

While I'm here I'll add a few cents of my own--The TW series looks, from the outside, to be in a slightly awkward space right now, as there are only a few colors currently available and then no other pens in the catalog. So expanding the product line seems like a good starting point.

Also, I'm considering a TW rollerball, but the refill colors are boring. More interesting RB and ballpoint refill colors would complement the pens better. I'm not even suggesting really exotic colors, but a brown or purple refill would get me off the fence and prompt me to order a Kyoto TW rollerball. Reproducing your full set of FP ink colors would be pretty nice.

Also, information would be nice about whether the TW series can accept refills from other brands.

And given the consistent quality of pens like the Waterman Phileas, the Lamy Safari, and other not-too-expensive pens, the TW fountain pens really need to be right each and every time. People do seem to love them when they get a good one.

Honoring a warranty for pens sold on the secondary market is an excellent idea. You're the only ones selling this pen. If a customer has a TW, you know *someone* bought it from you. You owe it to the brand to make a commitment to the TW whether you sold it to this particular customer or not. That's the kind of long sight that builds great brands.

You have so many little goodies for us FP-addicts to try out (just with paper refills alone!)--there is a real opportunity there to make a meaningful connection with a customer for the price of a simple repair. Someone in your marketing department knows what your cost per acquisition of a new customer is--that's your minimum benchmark for how much you should spend making a "stranger" to Levenger happy. (Not to mention the word of mouth and referrals that person will generate.)

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

yep, in this day and age a company that stands behind their product comes to mean more than you'd think. Sure, there are tons of places you can get things at bargain prices on the internet, but it's also very easy to get burned. But a company can earn loyalty by making a customer know that if they buy from THEM, they will be taken care of. I know I will pay more for the same product for that sort of piece of mind. The Kyoto really is a striking pen. In the FP, it needs a true fine point, or come out with an EF if that's what it takes. I liked the Kyoto enough to buy both the FP and rollerball, and both showed up intact. It wasn't until I ordered the multiple periwinkles that I ran into the "issues".

Levenger also has a great shipping deal with the $6 for any number of pens and free shipping on refills--that's definitely something in their favor. But you do still need the quality in the items.

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

Ryan,

Nice to see you here! I bought my second, third, and fourth fountain pens from Levenger's on-line. I also had a problem with a True Writer; again, a loose cap band. Levenger replaced the pen for me, but I got a slightly different color.

If this hasn't been looked at recently, the method for attaching the cap bands really needs to be checked.

I generally like the pen's look, feel, and writing. But I do wish the section wouldn't get ink stains. My pen is marbled yellow, so it really shows. I had a tangerine--I really liked that color better.

TTFN,

Grem

Bruce Grembowski

Well, as of 3:15 pm EST on Tuesday Feb. 13, they have Tangerine versions, but only broad nib for that price.

John

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files