Pilot Deskpens: Flagship Dp-500 And Subordinate Dpn-200

hari317

Thanks for clarifying :happy:

If you find a compatible stand do share it. I wold like to get a DP500 but not without a base.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• ac12

• Nonsensical

• Ahiko

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for clarifying :happy:

If you find a compatible stand do share it. I wold like to get a DP500 but not without a base.

You will have to make a base yourself, that is all I can say. No idea why Pilot does not make stands compatible to their FP desk pens... Once i have made my base for the Pilot desk pens, i will share a "how to" thread here.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent, I have been wanting a desk pen at work for a while now. I like the fact that you can get varying nib sizes but the lack of a base for this pen makes it off the list for now (until you show us the "how to" thread ;)) .

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

Excellent, I have been wanting a desk pen at work for a while now. I like the fact that you can get varying nib sizes but the lack of a base for this pen makes it off the list for now (until you show us the "how to" thread ;)) .

I discovered that the pilot desk pens fit beautifully in the Platinum desk stands. so that saves me the trouble of getting a stand made :)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/251450-platinum-desk-14k-pens-and-desk-base/

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I discovered that the pilot desk pens fit beautifully in the Platinum desk stands. so that saves me the trouble of getting a stand made :)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/251450-platinum-desk-14k-pens-and-desk-base/

I read the review and managed to miss that piece. :headsmack: Thank you.

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

• 7 months later...

I just got a DPN-200 with a Medium nib.

It is a NICE pen.

The length brings back memories of using a similar long desk pen when I was back in school. And it balances well.

The pen did not come with a converter, but I had a Con-50 converter that I got for my Pilot Metroplitan, and it fit just fine.

The pen writes really smooth with Cross/Pelikan black ink.

But the Cross black ink did not come out BLACK, it was a VERY dark gray (almost black). I think the ink flow of the Cross ink in the 200 is just slow enough to prevent the pen from putting down enough ink to make the ink line BLACK. I did an ink comparison with a Parker Classic with a F nib and Cross ink, and the ink line from the Parker was BLACK. This backs up my theory that the ink flow in the 200 is not sufficient for the dryer Cross/Pelikan ink.

I will be switching my pen over to Waterman black ink, which is a wetter ink, in hopes of getting a BLACK ink line.

My next task is to get a Platinum base for the pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I just got a DPN-200 with a Medium nib.

It is a NICE pen.

The length brings back memories of using a similar long desk pen when I was back in school. And it balances well.

The pen did not come with a converter, but I had a Con-50 converter that I got for my Pilot Metroplitan, and it fit just fine.

The pen writes really smooth with Cross/Pelikan black ink.

But the Cross black ink did not come out BLACK, it was a VERY dark gray (almost black). I think the ink flow of the Cross ink in the 200 is just slow enough to prevent the pen from putting down enough ink to make the ink line BLACK. I did an ink comparison with a Parker Classic with a F nib and Cross ink, and the ink line from the Parker was BLACK. This backs up my theory that the ink flow in the 200 is not sufficient for the dryer Cross/Pelikan ink.

I will be switching my pen over to Waterman black ink, which is a wetter ink, in hopes of getting a BLACK ink line.

My next task is to get a Platinum base for the pen.

thanks for the review. As a followup to my initial review, for the last many months, my go to pen is a DPN-200 loaded with Montblanc blue-black old ferrogallic formulation in a old con20 with pli glass sac. Platinum Single pen stand. Wonderful performance.

Well the Waterman ink did not make it much BLACKer.

Very odd as switching from Cross to Waterman normally makes a difference.

So there appears to be a flow restriction that I need to look for.

I was hoping to avoid tinkering with the nib, as it does not look like I can remove the nib. So now I have to try to adjust the nib on the pen.

If I can increase the ink flow, I might switch back to Cross ink, as it has better tip lubrication.

www.SFPenShow.com

• 3 months later...

Update

I had to slightly widen the slit in the nib using a thin sheet of brass. I think it was .001 or .002 inch thick.

Inked with Waterman black and the pen is doing just fine. :D

Still have not bought a base for it.

The pen is stored cap down in my pen cup.

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 year later...

Wonderful! thanks for the update.

Hi Hari,

I noticed the DP-200 has plastic threads. Do you think it would be possible to convert it into an eyedropper?

Imagine the ink capacity on that if it could! :wub:

post-125401-0-09420300-1446113593_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ahiko

Hi Ahiko,

Actually my black DP-200 is continuously in use since the day I got it. I use it everyday. Yes, the threads are plastic but I am not sure if the barrel is sealed completely. Let me go home and have a look. However, do you want to risk so much ink in a pen which is kept mostly in nib down position in the pen stand?

Hi Ahiko,

Actually my black DP-200 is continuously in use since the day I got it. I use it everyday. Yes, the threads are plastic but I am not sure if the barrel is sealed completely. Let me go home and have a look. However, do you want to risk so much ink in a pen which is kept mostly in nib down position in the pen stand?

I actually carry my desk pens with me, so it's always face up in my purse.

I'm currently using a Platinum Desk pen w/ the converter for school. I usually have to refill every day because I write a lot of notes in class, which can be a hassle if I forget to re-ink the night before.

If I could eyedropper it, that would be great so that I don't have to re-ink so often. :)

Edited by Ahiko

I actually carry my desk pens with me, so it's always face up in my purse.

I'm currently using a Platinum Desk pen w/ the converter for school. I usually have to refill every day because I write a lot of notes in class, which can be a hassle if I forget to re-ink the night before.

If I could eyedropper it, that would be great so that I don't have to re-ink so often. :)

I just checked the DP-200, I filled the barrel with water and there was no leak, This indicates that the barrel is sealed without any vent hole etc. so I feel it is fit for an ED experiment, pls let us know the outcome and carry the pen in a ziplock bag the first few days to be safe.

Best

Hari

I just checked the DP-200, I filled the barrel with water and there was no leak, This indicates that the barrel is sealed without any vent hole etc. so I feel it is fit for an ED experiment, pls let us know the outcome and carry the pen in a ziplock bag the first few days to be safe.

Best

Hari

Thank you! I will consider purchasing one in the near future to experiment.

I recently treated myself to an Elite 95S EF and was wondering if your EF Desk Pens are much thinner than your 95S EF?

Maybe it's the flex on the 14K gold nib that varies the line a lot more than the stiff steel pens on the desk pens.

TIA!

• 2 months later...

I have been using a Platinum Carbon desk pen on my desk at work for some time now, but I found that the EF Japanese nib was far to fine for me to write comfortably with.

So, after browsing Engeika's website (for far too long than was good for me...) I settled on a Pilot DPN-200 in Medium.

Both pens can exchange caps, so the ends are pretty much the same dimensions. Consequently the Pilot pen should fit a Platinum Desk Pen stand, and vice versa.

Pictured is the 'generic' desk pen stand on my desk. It was designed to use with a dip pen, with dip pen ink in the little ink well. However the ink well cap doesn't fit properly, so I have my dip pen ink in the MB Shoe bottle.

Anyway, the point of the story is that the Platinum DP has been living in the desk pen holder for weeks now, including over weekends, without drying out.

I have just put the Pilot DPN there, and hope for similar results.

Most importantly, the Medium nibbed DPN-200 is a much, much nicer pen to write with than the Carbon pen, which was the point of the exercise in the first place.

fpn_1455065273__deskpens-1b.jpg

The inks are, from left to right - Noodler's Black in a 5 ml vial, Faux Penman Sapphire in a 15 ml vial, and Thistle Blue-Black dip pen ink in the MB Shoe.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Both pens can exchange caps, so the ends are pretty much the same dimensions. Consequently the Pilot pen should fit a Platinum Desk Pen stand, and vice versa.

Hi, thanks for the feedback, yes, I happily use my pilot desk pens with the air tight desk bases offered by Platinum as i reported in the following post.