Reymand 117: Indian Eyedropper Demonstrator (Photo Heavy)

Mesu

Inspired by fellow FPNer amk’s Indian Odyssey, I set out to find pens manufactured in India. Below is the review of one of the pen.

The first cache of pens was by a brand called Reymand. On further enquiry, I found that the brand is owned by Khatri Corporation, Mumbai. I found an eyedropper demonstrator and a (piston fill + eyedropper demonstrator) models. The review below is of the eyedropper demonstrator.

Reymand 117 (Eyedropper Demonstrator)

This is an ultra low-cost demonstrator pen. The cost of a 10 pen box is about $1. Given the price, I didn’t have many expectations from this pen and purchased just one. I was pleasantly surprised and went back and got the box :D

Appearance & Design – A classic demonstrator design
The pen has a classic eyedropper demonstrator design with clear transparent barrel and colored cap, section and the tip of the barrel. The clip design is similar to Parker’s. The cap has a thin metal jewel on top of it.

Construction & Quality - Just about okay
Not a toughie, not a weak one either. Dropped it from a height of about 5 feet when it was capped and it didn’t break. A sharp blow or too much pressure can break it. For it’s price, it is well built. Compared to my daily users (Lamy Safari, Swarna ebonite), it feels light and plasticky.

Weight & Dimensions – Small, slender, and lightweight pen
The pen is 5” capped, 4.6” uncapped and 6” posted. The section is 0.3” wide and feels rather thin. Okay for a quick note or two but definitely not for taking long notes.

The pen is as light as a disposable ballpoint without ink. With a barrel full of ink, you can feel something but still feels too light for me.

Nib & Performance - Wet and slightly scratchy
It has a gold toned stiff nib which lays down a wet F line. The nib was scratchy in the beginning but not to the extent of catching the paper. I didn’t flush or clean the pen before inking it. As I continued to write, the scratchiness was almost gone. Now it feels more like feedback than scratchiness. For smooth writing, it requires few laps on the emery board.

Filling System - Eyedropper
It is an eyedropper and holds about 2 ml of ink.

Cost & Value
It is an ultra low-cost pen which I purchased to practice nib grinding. This pen is cheaper than the nibs. But in the few days i used this, I came to like it, faults and all. Would definitely miss it if I lose it. But no worries, I have a box full of these waiting to be inked.

Conclusion

A decent pen which performs beyond what is expected from it. Nice to play around with but would not be used as a daily writer.

The Pen

post-104386-0-49554100-1375551290_thumb.jpg

Cap

post-104386-0-30186700-1375551311_thumb.jpg

Uncapped

post-104386-0-19621900-1375551338_thumb.jpg

Nib

post-104386-0-50721200-1375551362_thumb.jpg

Feed

post-104386-0-16573200-1375551377_thumb.jpg

Writing Sample

post-104386-0-80938700-1375551428_thumb.jpg

The box

post-104386-0-15634900-1375551449_thumb.jpg

Colors

post-104386-0-87440200-1375551466_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mesu

• Wolverine1

• hari317

• mohan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:)

they have come out with ED clones of the Parker Beta as well?

Regardless that the nib says tipped, it is a folded tip nib. :)

Thanks for reviewing the pen, had never heard of it.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I recently saw one of these pens, which was brought back by a friend visiting his parents in Pune. I tried writing with it, and it is quite OK, the writing experience is unlike that of say, a Parker Sonnet pen, but, it is OK.

had never heard of it.

Me neither. After starting to look for Indian made pens came across 3 new brands.

Will be reviewing them as well.

Edited by Mesu

I recently saw one of these pens, which was brought back by a friend visiting his parents in Pune. I tried writing with it, and it is quite OK, the writing experience is unlike that of say, a Parker Sonnet pen, but, it is OK.

You are spot-on. Its light weight and thin section weigh against it.

But comparing Reymand to Parker is like comparing apples to peanuts.

Mesu- what I meant was that one can appreciate the quality of a Parker, yet, in a sense, the Reymand pen is OK, it is no Parker, but, it still is a functional pen.

Mesu- what I meant was that one can appreciate the quality of a Parker, yet, in a sense, the Reymand pen is OK, it is no Parker, but, it still is a functional pen.

Totally agree with your view. In India, the priority of the majority FP users is more on a low-cost, functional and long lasting pen.

I will be reviewing more indian pens in the following weeks. Would like your views on those reviews too.

I think this is only the second pen with a Platinum (India, not Japan) nib. I've been pleased with most of the Indian pens I bought but one was terrible except for the Platinum nib, which I yanked out and installed in a Serwex.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

I suppose 'Reymand' hoping the inattentive will confuse it with 'Reynolds'?

Incidentally, Reynolds is a brand I find interesting - see a lot of it in India and also France. Who owned/owns it? Anyone know anything about the history?

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I suppose 'Reymand' hoping the inattentive will confuse it with 'Reynolds'?

I think it is designed to confuse with "Raymond".a very well regarded brand in India belonging to the JK group.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Mesu- I have ordered a Ranga Model 5 eyedropper pen from Peyton Street Pens. It is the same model that is also known by the name Varuna Gajendra pen. Once it has arrived, I will do a review of it.

Dear amk

Reynolds was introduced in India around ( more than )20 years back. Now I think Newell Rubbermaid are the owners. They make inky, ministere, accent, feathersoftand a noname fountain pens apart from some rebranded chinese pens! They also made a cheaper 30 rs fountain pen but having good quality arond 15 years back but now the same pen is comnig under Rotring brand for 200 rs!

Edited by mohan