Newbie in the house

ggenovez

Hi all,

I have fallen in love with FP's all over again. I purchased a few 10 years ago and didn't get much use out of them.

Recently I picked up 2 Pelikans, a Cross ATX, and a Sheaffer snorkie that needs some tlc.

I'm new to pen repair so I'll be enoying you with my what, when, where, why's and how's.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• ggenovez

• Keith with a capital K

• Titivillus

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ggenovez,

Welcome to this house, this Fountain Pen Nut house :D.

Hi all,

I have fallen in love with FP's all over again. I purchased a few 10 years ago and didn't get much use out of them.

Sounds like what happened to me, too. Used pens for a long time, until about 30 years ago :D. Then about 7 years ago I bought a pen, and got terribly disappointed. And 2 years ago I got one as a present, that set of my current accumulation of over 20 fountain pens :D.

Recently I picked up 2 Pelikans, a Cross ATX, and a Sheaffer snorkie that needs some tlc.
Sounds like you're having good taste, and that you're going at an accelerated rate :D.

I'm new to pen repair so I'll be enoying you with my what, when, where, why's and how's.
How do you mean, annoying? :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I had a 'return to the bottle' myself here, and noticed that quite a few others do, too. In this highly technological age (an age I participate in), it's nice to kick back with a quiet pen and bottle of ink that is totally not connected to anything digital.

Welcome to the group.

Nice to meet you ggenovez, I hope you feel as welcome as I did when I arrrived with my solitary FP :D

Regards

Joe.

Nice to meet you! I did the same thing as you - years in between my first purchase and rediscovering them recently - don't you have that "what took me so long?" feeling?? :lol:

Vanessa

Hi there.

This seems to be the most common way that most of us here got into FPs. Rather *back* into FPs. We have a Profiles thread somewhere (i think in the Chatter thread) and you'll read a lot of stories similar to yours.

"snorkie" - I like that. I've never heard them referred to that way but it's appealing.

Welcome to the group and look forward to reading your adventures in pen repair and enjoyment.

best,

kcat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Welcome to FPN... it's a wonderful place to come to where you'll find so much more than pens, ink, and chatter.

"Snorkie"... heh heh heh ... reminds me of the elephant sketch on the Carol Burnett show...

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Guest Denis Richard

Welcome to FPN ggenovez !

Make yourself at home. We usually meet in the coffee room to stare at each others pens... and sometimes Wim is considerate enough to leave some coffee for the rest of us :D

Enjoy the site and the community !

Denis.

Hi all,

If you are looking into pen repair I suggest you find a copy of Da Book by Frank Dubeil. It's a good reference for pen repair.

Welcome also!

Kurt H

You can also search the Repair Forum or post repair related questions there as it has an abundant archive of repair information on many topics including Snorkels.

When I have some free time (insert hysterical laughter) I hope to post some online repair manuals (with pics) so people can refer to them when they are under-taking their own repairs.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

"Snorkie"... heh heh heh ... reminds me of the elephant sketch on the Carol Burnett show...

thread drift...

I still laugh uncontrollably when I see that.

gnnnnork!

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thanks for the warm welcome.

This is one of the few places where "returning to the bottle" is a good thing :)

Yeah I am also in the high tech field. I have been in it so long that when people see my handwriting they say "doctor?". i spent a good part of today lurking in the penmanship part of the forum.

As for all the convinience of modern day, I sometimes prefer the old fashion ways of doing things. Recently I rediscovered straight razors. Yes. for shaving ;)

I have heard of "Da Book". I have also heard it is incomplete and people tend to outgrow it very quickly. I'm also one of those people that needs very little to get things done. I opened my first pen with a pair of pliars and a drive belt from a Kirby vaccum cleaner, and took the feed and nib off with a deep socket. Now all I need is to find a way to build my own vac wrench.

So, I'm looking forward to getting involved with this forum.

BTW anybody has any feedback on a 1934 Sheaffer '350'? I'm thinking of purchassing one.

Thanks again

G

I have heard of "Da Book". I have also heard it is incomplete and people tend to outgrow it very quickly. I'm also one of those people that needs very little to get things done.

well, i think that's an overstatement (i realize it's not your opinion but that of others.)

I suppose it depends a lot on how much repair you do and what pens you come across. There are certain things that will become old hat very quickly (sac replacement on lever-fillers) but I still find nuggets in there now and then that are helpful. It isn't *the* reference for pen repair. But thus far I don't think there is such a thing. Frank's sentence structure can sometimes be confusing. Basically - i would buy it again if i lost my copy. But I would supplement also. Father Terry's pen parts (contact Victor Chen with Penopoly) has very helpful info for snorkel and touchdown repair mixed in with the descriptions and prices of his parts (also from Victor.) And of course there are articles in the Pentrace archives that can be extremely helpful. And last but not least - the experts here who can walk you through a lot of different processes. So..having multiple sources is important IMO - Frank's not being the least of them. There are often vastly differing opinions on those processes as well. Take what works for you from the various sources and of course, you'll probably discover your own methods on many things as time goes on.

my first section removal was that non-slip stuff you can get at Walmart, wrapped around the section, another wad of it around the barrel, and a Sear's robo-grip. :) Not recommended but it did work. :)

KCat

Hey KCat,

Yes, not my opinion, just hearsay.

yeah I'm a google-aholic and I've pretty much read as much as i could on fp. One of these days I'll probably break down and buy "da book", But until that day comes I'll be buying pens :)

Robo-grip hunh? Sounds like you McGuyvered your way around that one too ;)

Robo-grip hunh? Sounds like you McGuyvered your way around that one too ;)

heh... i like your term.

But truth is, it translates in this household to "too cheap to buy the proper tools."

:)

Have you stumbled on any of Nathan's pages? or references to. I used his description more for my first snorkel repair. It wasn't that it was any better written (possibly worse) but that it had pics instead of drawings and that helped. But his pages are hard to wade through sometimes.

this isn't directly from Nathan's pages but it was taken from them (presumably with permission since the website owner cites the author.) You may have no need of this particular page but i would like to find more like it from Nathan. so if you've found any... let me know when you can.

http://www.enter-net.de/auktion/artikel/bilder/snork1.jpg

best,

K :meow:

KCat

So using overpriced spark plug pullers -ugh- I mean fountain pen pliars is the right thing to do? lol :)

Nathan? Not sure. I have seen a similar exploded but on ebay. I was going to remove the blind cap last night but my screwdriver stoped a 1/4" before the screw :(

I was going to grind off the handle but it was too late last night and today I was just too busy.

Take care & good night.

G

As for all the convinience of modern day, I sometimes prefer the old fashion ways of doing things. Recently I rediscovered straight razors. Yes. for shaving ;)

Welcome to FPN, ggenovez! :D

My husband toyed with the idea of using a straight razor instead of his electric one, but personally I think he'd be too squeamish to actually use it :lol: (he hates the sight of blood ).

Nathan? Not sure. I have seen a similar exploded but on ebay. I was going to remove the blind cap last night but my screwdriver stoped a 1/4" before the screw :(

I was going to grind off the handle but it was too late last night and today I was just too busy.

now that's cheap.... for a couple of bucks you can get a screwdriver that's long enough to work just fine.

as long as I don't let my hubby know I've appropriated one of his screwdrivers... :)

KCat

Thx Maja,

BTW using a straight does not mean you're a bloody mess every morning. :) But there is no better way to start of the morning than with a scalpel at your through. Better than coffee. LOL. If your hubby ever wants to give it a try, I have a loaner. just shoot me an email.

Thx KCat.

That means alot to me. Actualy I did break down while I was at home depot and picked up a 3" #0 phillips. Yeah. I know. Sheaffers use a flat. :( on the plus side I never opened the package so this baby is going right back. I did find my old jewlers scredriver and was able to take it apart. no griding :( Funny thing was the longest they had was a 3". I guess getting a long enough screw driver is a little harder than we thought.

That little spring was tough to get out. I wonder if it needs to be coated with anything? i'ts a little coroded.