Montblanc No. 22 Disassembly

dictatorofmyownworld

I recently found a Montblanc No. 22 on ebay and it is an excellent pen but in need of a thorough cleaning, more than just a flushing. I have seen across the web photos of these pens taken apart, but I can't figure out how the piston comes apart. This is my first Montblanc and I am very excited and I don't want to break it.

Could someone could give me instructions on how to take the piston apart on this pen please.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CS388

• siamackz

• penhand

• EH86055

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Congratulations on your 22.

Fellow member VirtuThe3rd has posted videos on pen disassembly, including the 22. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSEXOzSAJx8

But be aware that you are watching an experienced craftsman, who is making the job look easier than it actually is. I had a 32 with a broken piston (similar to 22) and I never managed to get it apart!

Also be cautious when applying heat to any pen.

Have you actually got the pen, or are you still waiting for it to arrive?

I ask because a good flush out and clean may do the trick - these are very hardy pens. If the piston is working, I'd leave it in place. I believe you can lube it (on this model) without removing it, by removing the section?

Not fully sure about that - other more knowledgeable members may chime in soon.

Good luck.

Edited to add - VirtuThe3rd, hope you don't mind me reposting your stuff here.

And thanks again for those excellent videos. Just watched some of them again. Great stuff!

Edited by CS388

Thanks for the fast response,

I have seen that video before, but it's hard to follow him as he takes the piston apart.

I do have the pen. I have inked it and it does work. When I got it I took it apart as much as I could, which was everything but he piston. I found a lot of old ink in the pen. I spent some time scrubbing each piece with a q-tip and water. I was just hoping that I could get the piston apart to scrub it down too.

I love this pen and plan on using it as a daily writer. I suppose that it will be fine as I use it and clean it regularly.

I've popped the piston out of a MB 32 by heating it with a hairdryer until pretty hot and then popping it out with a flat tool (I used a torx) that was padded and pushed into the barrel against the piston and banging the tool on a hard surface; I've heard others have used a chopstick.

BE WARNED THAT THIS CAN DAMAGE THE SEALING END OF THE PISTON!! (been there done that)

In my opinion, not worth doing unless you have a particular reason to remove the piston (in my case I was replacing the barrel so I was forced to pop the piston out). A thorough flushing with the section unscrewed will typically clean the barrel thoroughly (maybe use an ear syringe if you want to really flush the barrel).

I've never done it, but it may even be possible to lubricate the piston from the end with the section removed -- I defer to more experienced folks on this forum to say if that is a good or bad idea. It seems to me it is better than popping the piston out if the piston is in dire need of lubrication. But lube and ink DO NOT MIX -- so maybe a just rubbing some silicon grease around the inside of the barrel with a cotton swab and making sure the excess is removed?

TWSBI 530/540/580/Mini, Montblanc 146, Pelikan M800, Tomoe River paper, Noodlers inks ... "these are a few of my favorite things"

Good thinking, penhand. I guess you could put a small wad of lint (or similar) on the end of the tool/chopstick, to protect the seal at the point of contact.

These piston mechanisms are friction fit, if my memory serves me well.

I went in from the other end.

I pulled the piston out of a 34 (similar) by using a steel washer with a section cut out of it. I fitted this under the turning knob (so I had something to grip) and tightened the knob down to hold the washer in place, applied some heat (hair dryer) and gave it a sharp pull. Maybe I just got lucky, but it came out nice and easy.

This was on a parts pen (I was making one good 34 from 2 broken 34s), so I had nothing to lose.

As I said, tried a similar technique on an old 32 and got nowhere.

Let us know how you get on with your 22.

Good luck.

For completeness, when I was working on my pen, entropydave kindly gave me a lot of assistance in this thread https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/246229-montblanc-12-and-32-barrel-swap-is-it-possible/

He also pointed me to a copy of what the real montblanc tool looked like here http://www.penboard.de/shop/hlist/MB/ACTO/0?setla=en

If you click on the picture, you can see clearly how it works.

It is a similar idea to what CS388 describes and I think if I tried it again I might try his approach. Ideally, if you had 2 thin slotted tools, then one could pull the piston while the other pushed the barrel (both inserted in the gap with the piston unscrewed).

Just like inserting a nib and feed into a section, the piston goes back in fairly easily (friction fit) although heating the plastic (not the piston) does help on the re-insertion (if I recall).

TWSBI 530/540/580/Mini, Montblanc 146, Pelikan M800, Tomoe River paper, Noodlers inks ... "these are a few of my favorite things"

• 6 years later...

Here’s how I did it today. I won’t be surprised if it’s not best practice, I don’t claim it to be so. This is simply how I did it...

fpn_1568902495__5dce0bec-aacf-4309-bf0c-

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• 3 months later...

Here’s how I did it today. I won’t be surprised if it’s not best practice, I don’t claim it to be so. This is simply how I did it...

fpn_1568902495__5dce0bec-aacf-4309-bf0c-

Hello. If I may ask, how did you remove the piston rod from the blind cap? I am attempting to transplant one and cannot remove it.

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
— Douglas Adams

Hello. If I may ask, how did you remove the piston rod from the blind cap? I am attempting to transplant one and cannot remove it.

Hi, in step 2 I showed that I knocked out the star from the back. I placed the blind cap and rod on a vice and knocked it out. Im not sure if its the safest way but thats how I did it. All the best!

Hi, in step 2 I showed that I knocked out the star from the back. I placed the blind cap and rod on a vice and knocked it out. Im not sure if its the safest way but thats how I did it. All the best!

I see. I have had no luck reomving the star, even after a lot of heat I guess I'll have to keep trying. Thanks!

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
— Douglas Adams

I see. I have had no luck reomving the star, even after a lot of heat I guess I'll have to keep trying. Thanks!

The star didnt require any heat, just a few sharp/solid taps

What temperature did it take to remove the friction filler unit?

I've had no luck with dry heat, but maybe I'm too careful...

So far it only worked with hot water but I'm not sure about (long-time) ill effects on the plastic by doing this.

Cheers

Michael

He also pointed me to a copy of what the real montblanc tool looked like here http://www.penboard.de/shop/hlist/MB/ACTO/0?setla=en

Beautiful tool, but I can't understand how it works? If the botttom flange goes over the lip of the friction-fit flange, it would hold it in place, rather than pull way from it?

Maybe I've misunderstood it?

Thanks.

What temperature did it take to remove the friction filler unit?

I've had no luck with dry heat, but maybe I'm too careful...

So far it only worked with hot water but I'm not sure about (long-time) ill effects on the plastic by doing this.

Cheers

Michael

I used the same amount of heat I use on celluloid pens. I dont know the temp precisely, but I measure with the insides of my fingers. But you have experience with opening celluloid pens so the best reference I can give is that I used the same amount of heat I would for celluloid pens. Then I gently but quite fearlessly (because it was a junker pen) extended the piston till it popped out from the back. I dont think this is the safest way to remove the piston because it relies on the shaft inside pushing against the barrel top. Instead, pulling the filler out from the back seems safer. But, the way I did it made it quite easy, to be honest. The star and insides of the piston took rather sharp taps to come out - that was the harder part for me. Edited by siamackz