New From Edison - The Menlo Pump Filler!

bgray

Hi Pen Fans!

We are very excited to introduce a new pen and new filling system to the Signature Line!  This is a Pump Filler.  Unless I'm mistaken, we are the only modern pen company offering this filling system.

Please see details in the video below

(if you can't see this video, please click here)

Highlights from the video....

0:17 Intro

1:05 Photos

1:21 Why called a Pump Filler?

3:44 Special Thanks

4:31 Specifications

6:55 How it Works

9:41 How to Fill

11:55 Maintenance, How to Switch Nibs

16:21 Price

The Menlos that are in stock and ready to ship can be found here.

Let me know if there are any questions!

Brian at Edison

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/Menlo1.jpg

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/Menlo2.jpg

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/Menlo3.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• Sridhar

• kroywen1982

• drgoretex

Should have posted here instead of starting a thread... Mr Gray, I lve the design of the pen - the grip section looks longer than usual? And that vacumatic hmhum... pump filler system is just wonderful!

Where dos the name come from?

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

You're not just paying $350 for a steel nib pen. You're paying for that filling system, which took a lot of time to design, and then the time it takes to make each one. You're getting quite the bang for your buck.

And as a user of these steel nibs, they're really quite great.

This is about ten flavors of awesome!

@Namo - Thomas Edison had a laboratory in Menlo Park.

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Beautiful pen, Brian. Like that you brought back this filling system, but also the design of the pen itself. The very minor step, clip, ability to do a large ink view, and lovely tapered cigar shape makes this a neat new addition to your Signature lineup. Congrats.

I am so excited about this. It just topped a Nakaya as my next purchase! That filling system is amazing, and I'm thrilled that it's available - and in brass! I'll pay premium for something this special, and for being able to choose my finish. I'll even pay extra for the gold nib :)

Thank you Brian and Edison Pen Co. :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Tamara

You're not just paying $350 for a steel nib pen. You're paying for that filling system, which took a lot of time to design, and then the time it takes to make each one. You're getting quite the bang for your buck.

And as a user of these steel nibs, they're really quite great.

Ditto that. $350 is not a bad price at all for a pen like this. It is certainly on my list now!

Ken

• 10 months later...

For $350, I could get an original Parker 51 Vacumatic pen, even with double jewel! And after I got tired with the pen, I can still sell it and get my $350 back!

• 3 weeks later...

For $350, I could get an original Parker 51 Vacumatic pen, even with double jewel! And after I got tired with the pen, I can still sell it and get my $350 back!

That is the problem, isn't it? These new pens may be great but for the price we can buy a vintage pen with an awesome nib. But if everyone went for vintage pens, the prices would go up and the folks making these wonderful new pens would go under, killing off the rebirth of fountain pen manufacture.

But I do LOVE my vintage pens!

Am I in a Geico Commercial? Everyone knows that, but did you know nobody likes a troll?

I think people often forget with the price of a pen made 'by hand' or by a 'turner' you are getting an item that has taken up a lot of an individuals time, both in crafting and designing the pen. When you break most of these pens down, besides all the bits of metal and plastic debris you end up with, the 'hourly rate' of creating one of these pens is often on par with what the turner is asking, sans the price of the blank, the machine maintenance, the nib, the filling system etc. (I think I covered everything...)

E.g Fountainbel's hand crafted pens take over 50 hours to make, and they sell for 1000 or round about. so that's only 20 bucks an hour for the turner, and then (essentially) the pen is free. (actual values may be a bit out, i've been off here a while)

By all means, think that the price is a lot for a pen, but don't pass it off as an overpriced steel nibbed item. Or do, but don't post it:) everyone wins then :)

My mother recently sold a hand-knitted shawl for $150. It is made of a few dollars worth of yarn, and the pattern maybe cost a few dollars.

The high cost came from all the time she put into making the thing. Even at that, she's making less than minimum wage. Luckily, knitting is something she does for fun, not to make a living.

The handmade pen from Edison is the same idea. Mr. Grey has to put time and craftsmanship into the pen. Hopefully he does better than minimum wage!

Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

My mother recently sold a hand-knitted shawl for $150. It is made of a few dollars worth of yarn, and the pattern maybe cost a few dollars.

The high cost came from all the time she put into making the thing. Even at that, she's making less than minimum wage. Luckily, knitting is something she does for fun, not to make a living.

The handmade pen from Edison is the same idea. Mr. Grey has to put time and craftsmanship into the pen. Hopefully he does better than minimum wage!

Oh he will make more than minimum wage!! I am also sure like your mother, Brian would have had lots of fun designing the filling system and must derive immense satisfaction from the finished product

Lots of debate on $350 being too much. I am sure Brian would have researched well before pricing. But I am having an inkling that one more look at demand elasticity on the vintage side ( getting a restored parker vac in different avatars anywhere between $70 to $450) and the modern pen side (getting an absolutely excellent condition Mont Blanc 146 from Rick Propas for $325 or a new Pelikan) would throw a lot of light on how much a little disruption can cause shift in volumes on either sides. The experience with Gate City Pens would also help.

Also note that Parker, Mont Blanc, Pelikan, Mr.Propas, Mr.Binder and Edison Pen Co. have their own distinctive brand positioning and associated values.

Having said that, I might end up getting the Menlo at some point in time!!!

Lots of kudos to Brian for innovation and fascinating adaptation of the vac filler. What I love is how he has replaced the plastic with brass (a nice touch) given that we don't have a war going on!

Edited by Sridhar

Having not held the pen, but familiar with pen balance. Using a plastic pump mechanism helps to keep the balance point from going too far to the back of the pen. I have use a few pens that are designed for posting, but the balance point moves a bit too far to the back of the pen when posted. These pens feel unbalanced/tail heavy when posted and become uncomfortable to write with. As long as the balance of the pen is not compromised, brass or plastic in the pump does not matter. The key for a pen that you write with is maintaining that balance and not being tail heavy.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I love it! I can't afford it right now, but one of these would be on my wish list. I have two P51 vacs (one that needs a full restoration) but I would love a modern iteration of this filling system.

Kudos, Brian; great job.

Regards,

Brian

Edited by Brian K

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.