How To Recognize Old Formula J Herbin 1670 Rouge?

cybaea

Well, Lapis, YOU KNOW I LOVE that pen!!!

Amber, I can't get over it. You are the fastest woman I have ever met!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• lapis

• cybaea

• ForeverStained

Amber, I can't get over it. You are the fastest woman I have ever met!

Of course, I'm from Vegas, baby!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh, and here is just the fish....

http://sheismylawyer.com/2013-FADE/slides/2013-FADE_119.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Stunning... although I still see no gold/green... but that is okay since I have now given up....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Stunning... although I still see no gold/green... but that is okay since I have now given up....

Look at the eye of the smallest fish.

Here was from another sample.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/jherbin_ann_ink0.png

I bought two bottles last fall, though not on purpose. I thought the ink was pretty, especially with the sheen. However, it was useless in a fountain pen. It didn't clog the pen, but the pen did get an ugly, crusty build up on the nib, and cleaning out the pen took forever. This ink also didn't behave well except on certain paper. In the end, the ink was only good with my glass pen.

As it turns out, I don't really use the ink for much of anything. I'm starting to do more systematic ink record keeping, so I may play with it again.

Honestly, though, the ink is pretty but not usable.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I bought a bottle last summer, after trying a sample. I don't use it much, but I'm happy I got it. I must have the old formulation, because there's definitely flecks of gold (whether real or not I can't say) in the bottle. Sounds as if I should maybe start hoarding it? I know that for a while it didn't seem to be available at all, and I basically did a Google search trying to find every stockist that carried it and comparison shopping the costs (including shipping). But then the Goulets got it back in again, so all was good....

I've been a bit incommunicado the past few weeks. When did the formulation change?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have just flat given up trying to find any of the old formula. if i happen to run across it i will count myself lucky.

i have one bottle that does have some of the green gold sheen but not alot.

when i use it.... i dont put it in my pen.... i use an inexpensive pen as a dip pen and write with it.

i did try filling a pen with it once and the gold sheen just disappeared.

so... when i want to use it.....i only use a dip pen.... and then sheen comes out.

one of these days i hope i'll come across a bottle of original formula.... i am sure they are out there.

since the ink is in a sealed box... there is no way to tell if the gold is in there.... you cant see the bottle.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I sent an email to J. Herbin asking about the original formula. Here is the reply I received:

-----

Yes, we are working with the manufacturer to re-introduced this ink formula

(with the gold metallic component) but in a different collection, one which

would be very clearly not recommended for fountain pens, or if so,

explaining the special care needed to protect one's reservoir and mechanism.

I do not have a fixed date at this time but we will announce it as soon as

we do.

Thank you for writing and bringing this issue.

Best regards,

Christine

Edited by nomadhacker

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

I sent an email to J. Herbin asking about the original formula. Here is the reply I received:

-----

we do.

Best regards,

Christine

HEY ! thats GREAT news ! i look forward to seeing that when it comes out.

thanks for sharing.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I bought two bottles of this ink *very* early on, pretty much within two months of its being announced. Both of mine showed, after a few weeks, a sediment layer on the bottom that looked like dull, gold, fine sand.

A few months ago I traded one of my bottles with the sediment layer for a newer bottle. After a few months the old one has the sediment layer and the new one does not. So it would appear that looking for the sediment layer is one way to identify the old batch. But it does take a few weeks to settle.

Unfortunately the person with whom I swapped the ink was rather disappointed with the old formulation because the sheen, she felt, was negligible.

This is similar to my own experience. With a broad nib, you can get an interesting sheen some of the time. With a fine nib, I never see it. My further experiences are that:

1. the ink takes days to dry fully

2. in those days the ink easily smears and the sheen can be rubbed off

3. the ink can be difficult, for example it really clogged in my Parker 100

I hope that may be of some value to someone.

David.

• 8 months later...

-----

we do.

Best regards,

Christine

For anyone interested, I contacted J. Herbin to follow up on this, here is the reply I just received:

The release should take place at the beginning of May. We do not have an exact date as yet.

Best regards,

Christine

Thanks zombywoof!

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Wow. So glad i saw this. I have a bottle of the old sheeny formulation. I dont mind it considering that when i do use the ink its for special use and fill, use, then clean the pen right after. I wouldnt leave this in a pen, but at the same time i couldnt live without it in my collection.

Was going to buy another bottle, but the one i have should last me decades.... if i didnt see the gold on the bottom, id think i got a bad batch if i didnt read this!!

Thanks for the info all!!

-Stefan

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/SnailBadge.png

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/unnamed.jpg

For anyone interested, I contacted J. Herbin to follow up on this, here is the reply I just received:

The release should take place at the beginning of May. We do not have an exact date as yet.

Best regards,

Christine

So this will be a different color and have warnings that it shouldnt be used in fountain pens?!?

If i couldnt use it in my fp i wouldnt want it....

But thanks for passing this on to us.

-Stefan

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/SnailBadge.png

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/unnamed.jpg

FWIW, I mentioned this in another thread. I ordered a sample from Goulet in the past month or so and it had the gold sheen upon drying. I don't know there process for providing samples wether they had an old bottle or plucked a new one. YMMV.

Here's my bottle which does have the sheen.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Ink_Companies/Herbin/JH-1670/slides/2013-08-08_ink_30.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Ink_Companies/Herbin/JH-1670/slides/2013-08-08_ink_34.jpg