The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Italic Nib Grinds

photo nibmeister italic stub

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 itsrainingpens

itsrainingpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:18

Here are some short writing samples from pens ground into some form of italic nib. Unfortunately, one of my pens, ground by Greg Minuskin, is still in Italy for repair.

I have to say, the colours aren't as vibrant as they are in real life.

I hope you like it! 

001_zpsf0d7144d.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 barleycorn

barleycorn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:42

That's quite the collection of pens.  Since there has been some discussion of late about Cursive Italic nibs.  Do you have a favourite pen or a top three maybe?

#3 oknrabata

oknrabata

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:45

This is really nice as I have recently developed a growing affection for stubs and italics (waiting for my Lamy 1.1 nib to arrive today).

Love your colour choice too!

Judging from the pic, I like the Waterman a lot. I was tempted to buy the factory stub but I haven't heard so much good about the Carène itself. How is yours behaving?

#4 itsrainingpens

itsrainingpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:26

That's quite the collection of pens.  Since there has been some discussion of late about Cursive Italic nibs.  Do you have a favourite pen or a top three maybe?

From those, I'd have to say my top three include the Elegancia, Olympio/Orpheo, and either the Magellan or the Carène. I just got the Pelikan CI nib, and I'm liking it more and more. It might be in my top three at some point.

This is really nice as I have recently developed a growing affection for stubs and italics (waiting for my Lamy 1.1 nib to arrive today).

Love your colour choice too!

Judging from the pic, I like the Waterman a lot. I was tempted to buy the factory stub but I haven't heard so much good about the Carène itself. How is yours behaving 

I got the Carène second hand, and it had slight skipping issues. I decided to get it ground, and I have been very happy with it!

Edited by lovementos, 01 August 2013 - 07:30.

#5 itsrainingpens

itsrainingpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:27

Whoops. Double post 

Edited by lovementos, 01 August 2013 - 07:31.

#6 adyf

adyf

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:50

Here are some short writing samples from pens ground into some form of italic nib. Unfortunately, one of my pens, ground by Greg Minuskin, is still in Italy for repair.

I hope you like it! 

001_zpsf0d7144d.jpg

I recognise all the nibmeisters in your post with the exception of Daniel Smith. Does he work for himself?

#7 itsrainingpens

itsrainingpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 14:33

I recognise all the nibmeisters in your post with the exception of Daniel Smith. Does he work for himself?

Daniel/Dan Smith (from FPG) offers his services on his site. Just search for Dannzemann 

#8 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 15:10

I hope you like it! 

Really nice comparison, thanks for posting. I'm also a fan of cursive italics and its nice to know we have some good choices. And just an FYI , last time I talked with Greg Minuskin earlier this summer, he told me he no longer does cursive italic grinds, that now he does only stub or italic but nothing in between.

#9 itsrainingpens

itsrainingpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2013 - 20:49

My OMAS came back today! I Inked it up, and here's a sample:

0012_zpsd346d143.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, nibmeister, italic, stub

Sponsored Content