Just Used A Ballpoint

smiorgan

About 20 years ago someone on a newsgroup was using the sig "If we all went barefoot, the world would be a softer place"

Today I've used three fountain pens (TWSBI mini 1.1mm, Pelikan M200 F, Lamy Safari Broad). They were all different, but I can confidently say I have enjoyed them all.

Then I had to write on printed card with a ballpoint. I used my "emergency" bp (a Lamy CP1). I can confidently say I didn't enjoy it one bit. In fact because I had to write the same thing out three times on three cards, I resented it.

The best thing I can say about this bp is it looks cool in the pen loop. AND IT WILL STAY THERE. Until I need another reminder of why I write with a fountain pen.

Glad I only paid about 1/4 of the RRP for it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elysee

• Dillo

• GClef

• Elizabeth in NJ

Me too! I used a BIC Clic Stic this morning. It seems to have had a hard starting and skipping problem. I guess that's why I use a fountain pen. I can just uncap it, and I know it will write.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Maybe you need to get a decent backup biro? I don't use my MB Starwalker ballpoint very often but as I love the pens design and have a broad evil in it, it is a pleasure to use.

i agree though that bic biros are not a pleasure to write with partly due to the poor quality ink/flow and secondly the very narrow hexagonal barrel.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

My favorite ball-point pens are the Pilot G-2 [10] and the Parker Jotter. I like the Parker for it's modern design and it's long lasting ink. I like the Pilot because even though it looks cheap and plasticy, it writes perfectly and the ink just flows out upon even the lightest touch without ever skipping or running.

I have a Tombow AirPress clipped to the pocket of my bag. Rarely used, but when I do have to use it I would probably get better results by stabbing my arm with a rusty nail and scratching my bloody signature into whatever I'm signing.

Edited by Namru

My go to bp when needed is a ST DuPont Defi or the Porshe Design. Still writmg with a quality instrument.

Ugh! I forgot to put the fountain pen I'm using this week back into my purse this morning, and I've been going through withdrawal all day. I thought I had a backup Pilot Varsity in my purse, and that's MIA as well.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0731131642-1_zps0383e501.jpg

FYI: This is a "franken-pen" of sort...I removed the medium point innards, and with surgical precision, successfully transplanted a 1.6mm BiC Cristal bold point. The barrel of a Round Stic is softer, and more flexible than the rigid hexagonal Cristal.

Edited by GClef

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0731131642-1_zps0383e501.jpg

FYI: This is a "franken-pen" of sort...I removed the medium point innards, and with surgical precision, successfully transplanted a 1.6mm BiC Cristal bold point. The barrel of a Round Stic is softer, and more flexible than the rigid hexagonal Cristal.

Thanks for adding some common sense to the discussion, GClef. It takes practice, skill, and a bit of luck to get beautiful writing from a ballpoint. But it can be done -- and should, for there will always be times when your favorite pen isn't handy.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Today has been all FP's - I think. If I have used anything else at all it was my Waterman Hemisphere RB with a Pilot G-2 refill in it (F-.7 mm)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Got a Parker Jotter, 45, Classic and a Sheaffer Prelude Mini as my back up ball pens.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

Parker Vector for me when I'm filling out forms with carbon copy and such, no sense in torturing any nibs with that process.

They do make a cp1 fountain, I enjoy mine quite a bit.

Maybe you need to get a decent backup biro? I don't use my MB Starwalker ballpoint very often but as I love the pens design and have a broad evil in it, it is a pleasure to use.

i agree though that bic biros are not a pleasure to write with partly due to the poor quality ink/flow and secondly the very narrow hexagonal barrel.

I have a cool blue star walker bp, and I agree, it is a pleasure to use. I usually bring a bp or rb along with 2 fps in a 3 pen case. there are times when the bps or tbs are useful.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

I have an odd Chinese rollerball for such occasions. It's no ordinary one though, since I took apart the refill and put Baystate Blue in it.

Calculating.

Today at work was a running around, semi-panic, scribbling quick notes on a piece of paper held against a wall sort of day. I was glad I had my Fisher Space Pen.

I actually find that the lessons taught by fountain pens have made it more enjoyable to use some ballpoints when I need to. I no longer automatically press down hard, and some ballpoints will respond to a lighter touch.

Still prefer fountain pens, and failing those, rollerballs, but ballpoints aren't necessarily miserable to use.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

If you use a bad bp, you'll have a bad feeling. Try a good bp, and you'll have a much better experience.

While we all appreciate the pleasures of fps, bps are the more practical and versatile tool.

Jotters do have their place (I will wash my mouth out with soap and water), but I have reached a stage where I only use Parker, Cross, Waterman, Mont Blanc and Caran d'Ache. The Caran d'Ache I think has the blackest black ink, all of this selection however are smooth writers. I will not use roller balls, they do the same job as jotters , but the refills last a fraction of the time. A Bic however is good for a quick signature or to pass to a client to write instructions, and if he knocks it off it is not a loss but a tax deduction.

When the occasion calls for it I use one of my dozen Cross Century ball points. Two are gold filled and are parts of BP/MP sets. One belonged to my father and the other to my father-in-law. I have three chrome, one of which is part of a BP/MP set that belonged to my wife and she no longer wanted it. Another is part of a set that I do not recall where it came from. The remaining are various colors, which I try to match to my fountain pen carry of the day. I also have a few Parker Jotter BP/MP sets. I have one Parker Insignia BP/MP set. I have a few Parker Vector BPs and MPs that match Parker Vector FPs I have. I have one white Sheaffer No Nonsense BP that matches a NN FP. And I have a two stray Cross non-Century BPs that I picked up somewhere.

All of them write well. Unlike the OP, none have startup issues, but some of my FPs do.

The last count of my writing instrument accumulation was something like: ~125 FPs, ~93 MPs, ~20 BPs, 6 rollerballs and 2 gel pens. I plan on lowering the count of FPs and MPs and keeping the rest about constant.

Thanks for adding some common sense to the discussion, GClef. It takes practice, skill, and a bit of luck to get beautiful writing from a ballpoint. But it can be done -- and should, for there will always be times when your favorite pen isn't handy.

Enjoy,

Man, that's not common sense... GClef's writing is accomplished (hats off, sir), but it's the other extreme from ballpoint hate. Saying that "it can be done -- and should" is like someone complaining to me that they can't juggle 3 balls, and me saying if they practice and have a bit of luck and talent they can juggle five, and should.

Edit: of course that could be sarcasm. Poe's law means I can't tell.

All of them write well. Unlike the OP, none have startup issues, but some of my FPs do.

You imagined me talking about startup issues -- maybe you inferred that from me saying I had to write three times (on three separate cards).

Anyway the pen's fine writing on rhodia paper, but coated card will always be a problem to write on and need more pressure. Only thing you can do is use a more ergonomic pen. Since I write on shiny card once in 6 months I can live with the experience, I just didn't like it as much as the other writing I did that day.

Also Lamy's bp refills have a poor reputation -- nothing a Monteverde refill can't cure.

Edited by smiorgan