What's Your Most Recent Addition To The Flock?

camoandconcrete

And I've sent off the M1000 to get pendletonized ... he did a wonderful job on my 805.

Pendleton did a BB on my M1000. You'll love it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrCodfish

• sargetalon

• christof

• konis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Green striated M800 with a fine nib from a fellow FPN-er. Perfect writer.

And I've sent off the M1000 to get pendletonized ... he did a wonderful job on my 805.

-k

Pendleton did a BB on my M1000. You'll love it.

"I give it as my fixed opinion, that but for butterline stubbification from Pendleton Brown, my Pelikans might, and probably would have been great writers, but not the wünderpens of panache that have really endeared them to me." General Penfield Scott

But seriously folks ... Pendleton's BLS really can take a ho-hum nib and add a lot of fun to the mix. The Dude knows nibs.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

I'm in a good mood. :)

I've lusted after an M1000 for some time but the price - even second-hand - has been well beyond my present reach. I'd spotted one on eBay and watched it for a while. As it came to the last 20 minutes, it was only at £100. It was just described as having a pf nib. Very little other description. I put in a bid of £130 expecting to be significantly outbid and won it for £104 (about $163). I couldn't believe it. In fact, I was worried that I'd bought one of the smaller Souverans and asked the seller about it. He didn't really know but had supplied dimensions to another enquirer who he said 'Seemed happy with them).

It arrived today. M1000 it definitely is. Broad nib. Lovely. The cap has a couple of small nicks and it clearly hasn't been used for a while, but I've given it a good clean and I'm very pleased. I haven't written with it yet but the nib looks perfect.

As I say - I'm in a good mood. :)

That is flipping practically beyond belief!

Thanks. Now I have to watch Ebay like a hawk in hopes of finding a similar epic find ;)

"I have nixed all Noodler's inks in large part because of their feel, but also their behavior, etc. When I put Iroshizuku or Sailor ink into my pens, it's like the ink, pen, and paper are having a 3-some with smooth 'n sultry 70's jazz playing in the background." ~ Betweenthelines

As promised, here are pix of my new jade 101LE -- thank you, Mr. Propas! It writes beautifully.

These pix show additionally an early (1930s) Ibis; 100; 100N; 400; 400NN; lapis 101LE and there have crept into the picture my Soennecken 222 Extra and a MB 342...(Anyone want to buy the MB? Flexy 14kt nib, too!)

BTW: <all> these are used regularly! No museum pieces here.

post-104292-0-38920300-1440684444_thumb.jpg

post-104292-0-30606600-1440684666.jpg

post-104292-0-12356900-1440684687_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

I just went for one of those Jinhao 159s in Broad. under 10 bucks shipped from China. We'll see..

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

As promised, here are pix of my new jade 101LE -- thank you, Mr. Propas! It writes beautifully.

These pix show additionally an early (1930s) Ibis; 100; 100N; 400; 400NN; lapis 101LE and there have crept into the picture my Soennecken 222 Extra and a MB 342...(Anyone want to buy the MB? Flexy 14kt nib, too!)

BTW: <all> these are used regularly! No museum pieces here.

Nice pens there, congrats!

As I see and understand right, Mr. Propas did fit the 101LE with a 1931 barrel and section, right?

Looks very authenitic but is probably not correct. As far as I know the 101 Green, came in 1935...?

May I ask you what's the story behind?

C.

Christof,

<...As I see and understand right, Mr. Propas did fit the 101LE with a 1931 barrel and section, right?

Looks very authentic but is probably not correct...>

That is exactly as I understand it, too. A unique pen using a modern cap, but with old internals. It works perfectly, too. The nib is a vintage semi-flex (not an Olsen nail and yet not a wet noodle!) I do not know <why> this was done like this -- perhaps a damaged modern one?

Christof,

<...As I see and understand right, Mr. Propas did fit the 101LE with a 1931 barrel and section, right?

Looks very authentic but is probably not correct...>

That is exactly as I understand it, too. A unique pen using a modern cap, but with old internals. It works perfectly, too. The nib is a vintage semi-flex (not an Olsen nail and yet not a wet noodle!) I do not know <why> this was done like this -- perhaps a damaged modern one?

Thank you Christopher.

I like the idea of a Replica which is closer to the original than the 1931/35 LE pens are. I was just wondering why Mr. Propas has choosen such an early (and rare) barrel and section for this project. As already mentioned, the 101 Green came in 1935 to the market. At this time, the section looked different already.

Christof

PS: a couple of years ago, I did a detailled comparison of a 1935LE and a Pelikan 100 from 1935 here on FPN: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/208784-l-e-pelikan-1935-or-pelikan-101/?hl=%2Bpelikan+%2B1935

Edited by christof

Ah, wonderful comparison, Christof: thank you for the link!

Yes, my nib and feed are original -- I had already noted the feed vanes, with middle one cut-away, just as in your photo, and -- also like yours -- the writing is perfect! Plenty of line-variation and good, moist ink-flow...

Thanks again!

A 400 with a somewhat flexible OBB nib, bought from Rick Propas at the San Francisco Pen Show. This is my first oblique nib. I'm having to learn how to get the most out of it. Suggestions/advice?

David

I picked up two. The troublesome one is an all black 30's that needs to be recorded. But at that age it's most likely very brittle.

The other, if memory serves, Rick said was an older 400nn, but with the binde being a named 400nn - so he said it wasn't all matching... Sigh...

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Recorded, is it a typo? maybe re-corked... ;) If not excuse my intrusion in your post

Even from the 30´s and made of celluloid Pelikans 100 are not super fragile ( after al they are 80 years old) so you may be able to install a new cork. Put it in water for a few days before trying to open the piston left threaded mechanism.

Yesterday I was able to open one that was in water for about 2 months, it had been glued with what I thing was Superglue. I had given hope, but was trying to check if super-glue is really soluble in water, looks that at least will loose strength. I was surprised to see that the celluloid in the left thread is perfect

Best regards
Vasco

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Avatar/simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

Do you mean "left threaded" to be to turn clockwise, nib pointed away from your eye?

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Do you mean "left threaded" to be to turn clockwise, nib pointed away from your eye?

Yes, precisely. The thread is a left one so to take the filling mechanism out unscrew to the opposite way. Unscrews clockwise while having the nib pointing away from you and the blind cap to you.

Do not force to much or it will break, be patient; leave the pen in water for at last 2 days and if you have a US machine use it. It is usually the dried ink remains in the threads that make unscrewing hard. Gentle heat just before unscrewing will also help protect the celluloid from breaking. If it does not move, just put it in water longer and keep trying later, it will unscrew eventually.

Send PM if you need more help to prevent us from hijacking more this thread :)

Best

Vasco

Edited by piscov

Best regards
Vasco

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Avatar/simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

A curious journey for drei Pelikane. This can't be normal.

Christof introduced me to Pelikan pens with a clutch that included a 140, an M150, and an M400. Each had its own personality.

But one tine on the M150 was a smidgen longer than the other, in a way that only a left-handed overwriter, like me, might notice. So I asked Pendleton Brown to stub 'em up for me. He asked how they were, and then, based on my description, he asked me to send 'em back for an adjustment. I reckon a righty is a righty, but every southpaw paws southly in his own way. The man's a wizard with extra-sensory perception.

In the end, my clutch of Pelikans got the butterline stub ("BLS") treatment for left-handed overwriters ("LHO"?). The 140 had its BLS-Medium (actually my favorite of the three). The M150 and the M400 each had their BLS-Fine nibs. Each pen still had it's own personality. And now even a left-handed overwriter could enjoy page after page of writing – without tripping over a tine that dug into the paper (while flying into an over-flamboyant descender). But still, there was something missing.

So I reached out to John Mottishaw for a nib stubbed from a Pelikan M400 broad nib. And now I had the BLS-F in the M150 it came to me from Christof, a BLS-M in the 140 – also with the nib it brought, and a Mottishaw stubbed broad in the M400. That should make sense, right? An M400 nib in an M400 pen?

But something was still not quite right. The Souverän should have been a favorite, but the 140 was seeing all the action. And poor little M150 was sitting forlorn and alone – it's BLS-F is a singing nib, and that's a novelty – but that's it. The others were butterline stubs as well.

On a whim, or maybe a hunch, I swapped the nibs between the Souverän and the 140.

Suddenly, all three are singers. And each on a different note. And now, it seems that I choose the particular pen for a particular task based on what I want to hear when I write.

All three of my Pelikans get fair time in the game now. And there is an entirely new dimension to my visceral writing experience.

Like I said, this can't be normal.

And I reckon I'll have to get another Pelikan to find a home for the displaced BLS-F.

post-88993-0-95851000-1441460994_thumb.png

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

" Like I said, this can't be normal" ... My friend, your were born outside the parameters of normal, but as a member of the 'societe' de southpaw' I am sure you already know that.

Great story, as we all know the path to success is rarely wide, straight, or short. as Lefty Ovewriters (LOW writers) our path is not only crooked and narrow, it runs counter to the spin of the earth (the clock, whatever). So happy you discovered Messrs. PBrown and Mottishaw, both have brought sanity to a world written whose operator manual is written backwards for me.

A select group populated with 'different thinkers'; Tiberius, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Leo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Paul McCartney, Bill Gates, Jon Stewart, Bill Clinton, Barach Obama and an Olympic Medalist named Bruce Jenner. Take note, Ronald Reagan was a born lefty but converted to 'normal handedness'.

Glad to hear you found pen and nib combinations which sing to your heart.

Edited by DrCodfish