#22 JessR45

JessR45

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 18:36

Always loved the Pelikans with the green tinted windows. Sadly they never loved me back :(, I just could not deal with the parsimonious ink flow on all the nibs I've tried.     

#23 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 18:56

I'm of two minds (I know, there is medication for that ...) about ink windows. On one hand, they are, as you describe beautifully, very attractive. And they are useful if I have trouble remembering when I last filled my pen. But they also introduce one or two additional cemented joints in the pen barrel, a challenge with which certain unnamed German manufacturers seem to struggle continuously. And they tend to grow opaque over time. But maybe that's just nature's way of telling me I'm using over-saturated inks.

ron

#24 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 1,830 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:16

pelican P1 has round "portholes".

gary

ps-really don't like them

Edited by gary, 31 July 2013 - 22:18.

#25 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,530 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 23:12

...snip...

They remind me of those balance-measuring things used by construction companies...forgot what they were called, but they have 3 "ink windows" with bubbles in them to see if the ground is level...

I think you're referring to spirit levels - that's what we call them in the UK.

IMHO, you already have the best ink window? The striped Montblanc windows are lovely.

Nice thread.

I also like and appreciate ink windows on my pens. As well as their aesthetic qualities, they are extremely useful.

I once had a desk by a window overlooking a river. At certain times of day, the reflected light caused shadows on the page. Very black and white, of course, except for the amber tint of my ink window. It was wonderful to be able to see how much ink I had left via the colourful shadow.

Can't really add any suggestions to further your quest. Saw a lovely rhomboid pattern on a vintage 'no name' pen once - other than that, I'd vote for the vintage Montblanc pens with their amber stripes.

Good luck

#26 hot cocoa

hot cocoa

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:04

Monteverde Napa

Franklin-Christoph's Piper Prism

Monteverde Mega

I like ink windows too, but it really depends on the pen. I've always thought someone ought to put an ink window at the bottom of the barrel for an eye dropper, just for a change of pace.

#27 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:13

wahl ever sharp doric with plunger filler, sheaffer snorkel demonstrator, conklin nozac word gauge and chilton wing flow pneumatic filler are also worth a sight

Edited by georges zaslavsky, 01 August 2013 - 06:14.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink windows, montblanc 146, aurora 88, pelikan

[Sponsored Content]