A List Of Well-Behaved Inks

cadfael_tex

I have had bad luck with one specific Diamine ink on one specific issue. Onyx Black leaves a red residue in all my pens that I have used it in. It is a drag to flush it out. It writes fairly well on Rhodia paper, however. I'm torn between trying Aurora or Heart of Darkness next.

Edited by ralderson

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• torstar

• iamchum

• Freedomcoach

• chromantic

I think by "well behaved" he means an ink that if you happen to have forgotten the pen was inked and it sat for a few weeks/months, it wouldn't harm the pen in any way shape or form. There are some inks, iron gall inks in particular, or highly saturated or with chemicals, that can damage pens if left for too long. Most of those are fine if using the pen regularly and cleaning every few refills, but if left in the pen will cause damage in some form or another.

That's what I get from "well behaved" at least.

• 2 months later...

How well behaved is Noodler's black?

Could I use it on:

1. Copy paper?

2. 50 cent a book notebook paper?

3. Newspaper?

4.Toilet paper?

As mentioned above, pretty much everything by Iroshizuku. I can put it in whichever pen i want and know that any aberrant behavior is likely the pen. And that the ink isnt going to stain the pen, clog the feeds or cause it to spontaneously explode in my hand.

Maybe not, but I have found some Iroshihzuku inks to be very drippy in some pens. So YMMV, but big splotches of ink on a page because the ink is too runny/wet for the pen it's in counts as "aberrant behavior" in my book.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Maybe not, but I have found some Iroshihzuku inks to be very drippy in some pens. So YMMV, but big splotches of ink on a page because the ink is too runny/wet for the pen it's in counts as "aberrant behavior" in my book.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I have terrible bleed and feathering problems with Asa-gao, I'm not sure if I have a dodgy one. Of the ten or so others I have I don't have any issues.

Waterman inks seem well behaved, but the blue and the purple are the only colours I really like.

I can't think of a MB ink which is badly behaved in their current line up, or the recent LEs. The new Midnight Blue is considerably less well behaved than the old though :(

I think everyone's definition of 'well behaved' will vary, for me it is good flow with no feathering, no bleed-through, little to no show through on cheap papers, and does not smudge when 'dry'. Others don't mind some of the aforementioned.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

• 3 years later...

Hi Everyone. I have a current challenge that seems related to this topic. I have a TWSBI mini with medium nib that is challenged with ink flow using Diamine Majestic Blue and previously Noodler's Blue. The pen will write very nicely, wet and smooth for a period and then for no apparent reason go dry despite having pleny of ink in the cylinder. i can coax it to get started again with tapping or water, whatever but if I the cycle will simply repeat itself, wet good writing, then dry. It is frustrating because I REALLY like how this pen feels and writes and would love to use it in everyday meetings and business events.

The TWSBI mini is virtually a new pen, purchased just about a month ago. I've tried cleaning and had a pen expert adjust the feed on it but the pattern persists. I know that Majestic Blue is highly saturated but not sure this is the issue. I'm considering trying PR American Blue which I have or something else. I'd love to get some recommendations.

Since the vast majority of my writing (as I suspect is true of many here) is on cheap paper, my criteria for what constitutes "well-behaved" is pretty much consists of "minimal show/bleed through".

The corollary to this is, of course, is how the ink "looks" on cheap paper, i.e. that the color is reasonably close to what you see on good paper or at least still looks pretty decent.

If these two conditions are met, I can overlook minor faults like dryness.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.