The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kaweco Rollerballs (Could Someone Explain?)

kaweco fountain rollerball ink type converter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AnUprightMan

AnUprightMan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:06

Hey guys

I am relatively new to the fountain pen hobby (about 5 months) and I wanted to see if someone might be able to explain to me how Kaweco Rollerballs work. I've HEARD that they can be used with fountain pen ink cartridges/converter, but I've also seen them with regular rollerball refills. It might not be a lot of money, but I don't want to go ahead and buy a $20 pen if I'm not going to get what I want to expect. I bought a Noodler's Nib Creeper Rollerball, and I like it (I really do), but, the first tip lasted me about a month and the second tip lasted less than a week. 

If the Kaweco rollerballs CAN use fountain pen ink, I think they might be a better long term option than the Noodler's Nib Creeper. But, if they only take rollerball refills, that might just be money down the drain for me.

Any advice/tips/suggestions?

:)

Sponsored Content

#2 whych

whych

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 19:02

They use plain international/Pelikan style ink carts. You can either fill your own used cartridges or use new ones.

Presumably the new Kaweco squeeze converter will work as well.

Don't have a Kaweco ink roller, but have one from Online. They work OK and can be cleaned/washed if needed like a normal pen. Just takes longer to clear the old ink and to dry out afterwards.

Only criticism is that you are stuck with one thickness and don't have the choice of thicknesses you have with a fountain pen.

Generally, they work well.

#3 View from the Loft

View from the Loft

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:00

I also have one of the Kaweco Sport rollerballs as it gives me the RB tip when needed and the convenience of using cheap cartridges.

I find it works better with free flowing inks, but other than that, it's not fussy.

Great little RB for leaving in my handbag.

#4 rockydoggy

rockydoggy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:50

I think you came across reference to Kaweco Sport rollerballs that take ink catridges and some that don't because there are two different models.  One is the "ink roller" and it takes international-size fountain pen cartridges.  I've had a few for several years and haven't worn out a tip yet.  One of them clogged but rinsing it out fixed the issue and I've been using one of the Noodlers eel inks in it with good luck since.  The other Kaweco model is a "capless roller" and it takes rollerball refills.  I have a couple--they're fine but I don't use them much.  For what it's worth, I've had problems with the nibs on the Noodlers pens and got tired of them leaking or stalling out after only a short time.  In contrast, I'd recommend the Kaweco ink rollers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kaweco, fountain, rollerball, ink type, converter

Sponsored Content

|