Fountain Pen Revolutions' Dilli

zoniguana

First Impressions
Eager to see it arrive. Very light, compared to my usual preferences. About as narrow as most pens, a little more so than some.
Overall appearance is a little rough, but, it wears that roughness well.
Appearance
This pen is a translucent red, with black jewel and black piston knob, and a chromed steel clip & band on the cap. The piston knob is knurled at the edge, which makes it even more obvious that the knob was never meant to sit flush with the barrel. The jewel at the top of the cap also doesn’t sit flush, but has no such knurling. Where the nib rests in the cap has an angular insert (or an angular cut) that refracts the light nicely.
Design/Size/Weight
This pen is slim, and light. It’s an easy one to clip in a shirt pocket or neckband, and not feel like it’s tearing one’s clothes off.
It’s a simple, plain pen. The only thing that makes it “flashy” at all is the color, which is quite pleasant. I see many other pens in similar colors, that are not nearly so pleasant to use...
Nib
The nib is unadorned, plain shiny steel. I don’t see the stubbiness of it until the ink actually hits the paper. It has a couple of slight rough spots that could be smoothed, but, overall is quite satisfactory.
The stubbiness of the nib, itself, is quite subtle. It is firm, solid, yet still gives subtle line variation - a nice experience.
Filling System
This is a simple piston. Operation is smooth and easy. Capacity is a little less than some pens, but still more than adequate for a couple days’ writing.
Cost and Value
Getting the stub nib with this pen sent the price up to an astronomical $17. Including shipping. And, when Fountain Pen Revolution opted to throw in a Serwex to the order, well, golly... I think it would have to be about the skippiest, driest-writing godawful nail on a chunk of plastic to be at all disappointing. This pen is a little gem. It’s a little rough, but, with a little polishing, it will shine for folks looking to branch out from the more typical F/M/B entry group.
Conclusion
This is a nice little pen. The biggest gripe I have with it will probably disappear in time - that is, when posting the cap, the barrel scrapes the threads. If I smooth the edge of the barrel down a bit, either intentionally or just through wear, that, I am sure, will settle down. Likewise, the nib could use a little smoothing in a couple of spots, but, still, very much worth the price of admission, and one I would recommend to anybody looking to start experimenting with other nib styles.

fpn_1374845063__fpr-dilli.jpg

fpn_1374845322__fpr-dilli-f-stub-nib.jpg

fpn_1374846553__dscf0052.jpg

Edited by zoniguana

Be forewarned... I will eye-bang the bejeezus out of your pens...
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zoniguana

• Mesu

• Jamerelbe

• akafridi3

Nice thoughtful, detailed review. Thanks!

I agree that this is a really nice little pen for the money.

ron

This review, BTW, is what is generated by the Pen Review feature of the Fountain Pen database, from this site. I just pasted and added the pics!

I've been very pleased with my three Dillis. They are not fancy, but they are well-designed, comfortable in the hand, and good writers.

Thank you so much for reviewing the pen. I saw it when I was online widow fountain pen shopping.

It's a nice little pen - the stub nib is great...

The pen is perfect for testing things like baystate blue.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Can you please post a close up pic of your writing? Planning to order some fine stubs from Kevin. Would like to see the line variation.

Here you go, Mesu! Hope this is helpful!

fpn_1375191490__dscf0067.jpg

fpn_1375191542__dscf0066.jpg

• 7 months later...

First Impressions
Eager to see it arrive. Very light, compared to my usual preferences. About as narrow as most pens, a little more so than some.
Overall appearance is a little rough, but, it wears that roughness well.
Appearance
This pen is a translucent red, with black jewel and black piston knob, and a chromed steel clip & band on the cap. The piston knob is knurled at the edge, which makes it even more obvious that the knob was never meant to sit flush with the barrel. The jewel at the top of the cap also doesn’t sit flush, but has no such knurling. Where the nib rests in the cap has an angular insert (or an angular cut) that refracts the light nicely.
Design/Size/Weight
This pen is slim, and light. It’s an easy one to clip in a shirt pocket or neckband, and not feel like it’s tearing one’s clothes off.
It’s a simple, plain pen. The only thing that makes it “flashy” at all is the color, which is quite pleasant. I see many other pens in similar colors, that are not nearly so pleasant to use...
Nib
The nib is unadorned, plain shiny steel. I don’t see the stubbiness of it until the ink actually hits the paper. It has a couple of slight rough spots that could be smoothed, but, overall is quite satisfactory.
The stubbiness of the nib, itself, is quite subtle. It is firm, solid, yet still gives subtle line variation - a nice experience.
Filling System
This is a simple piston. Operation is smooth and easy. Capacity is a little less than some pens, but still more than adequate for a couple days’ writing.
Cost and Value
Getting the stub nib with this pen sent the price up to an astronomical $17. Including shipping. And, when Fountain Pen Revolution opted to throw in a Serwex to the order, well, golly... I think it would have to be about the skippiest, driest-writing godawful nail on a chunk of plastic to be at all disappointing. This pen is a little gem. It’s a little rough, but, with a little polishing, it will shine for folks looking to branch out from the more typical F/M/B entry group.
Conclusion
This is a nice little pen. The biggest gripe I have with it will probably disappear in time - that is, when posting the cap, the barrel scrapes the threads. If I smooth the edge of the barrel down a bit, either intentionally or just through wear, that, I am sure, will settle down. Likewise, the nib could use a little smoothing in a couple of spots, but, still, very much worth the price of admission, and one I would recommend to anybody looking to start experimenting with other nib styles.

fpn_1374845063__fpr-dilli.jpg

fpn_1374845322__fpr-dilli-f-stub-nib.jpg

fpn_1374846553__dscf0052.jpg

Can you double check that the nib is no. 6 (maybe compare it with some other #6)? I'm considering putting an FPR nib in my Ahab.

Thanks!

Can you double check that the nib is no. 6 (maybe compare it with some other #6)? I'm considering putting an FPR nib in my Ahab.

Thanks!

FPR nib is #5 and will not fit in an Ahab, which is #6.

Hope this helps.

Like the original reviewer, I'm really impressed with these pens (though I'm waiting to see how the FPR 'Guru' compares!). My one gripe relates to cleaning: you can't get into the barrel from the rear of the pen, as the piston is not removable; and though you can remove the nib and feed, that leaves only a fairly narrow aperture at the front. Don't know exactly how to describe this, but ink / water tends to collect at the top of the barrel, between the wall of the barrel and the wall of the plastic moulding that holds the nib and feed in place - and it's very awkward to flush the whole thing thoroughly.

Not a deal-breaker, it just means a complete flush-out takes forever - so this is not a pen you'll want to use for sampling a variety of different inks. It is, though, a very inexpensive piston-filler that works really well with the FPR flex nib and/or any of the other nibs FPR manufacture - and not prone to dry out - so I'm still very happy to recommend it!

How does this compare to it's Noodler's Ahab/Konrad rivals? I see them occupying a pretty similar space but bought a Konrad and was not very impressed. I'm curious if these are much better.

How does this compare to it's Noodler's Ahab/Konrad rivals? I see them occupying a pretty similar space but bought a Konrad and was not very impressed. I'm curious if these are much better.

Dilli holds less ink and is smaller. Dilli workmanship is less exact. Dilli nibs are a bit more flexible. And Noodler's does not offer stubs (although Goulet does for the Noodler's pens, at $15 per nib -- almost the cost of the pen). I have both the Dilli and the Konrad. The Konrad is a better made pen (and much more attractive), but the Dilli has required less tinkering. I bought my Dilli on sale; I find its quality just reaches its price.

As the previous post says, the Ahab and Konrad probably have the better looking finish - and are much easier to pull apart and clean! - while the Dilli has a smaller ink capacity. On the flip side of the equation, the Dilli is (in my experience) less prone to ink dry-out / evaporation than the Noodler's pens, so if your ink usage (for this one pen) is lower / slower, the Dilli has a built-in advantage. Also in its favour is the fact that Fountain Pen Revolution offers a range of nib options - extra fine, fine, 'fine stub', medium, broad (?), as well as flex - and you can buy more than one nib to go with the pen. These nibs can be swapped into most of the pens FPR sell - and pretty well any other pen that takes a #5 nib, if you want to try it out.

• 3 weeks later...

My one gripe relates to cleaning: you can't get into the barrel from the rear of the pen, as the piston is not removable; and though you can remove the nib and feed, that leaves only a fairly narrow aperture at the front.

After ordering FPR Dilli i received a pen with problematic nib. After inquiring about what to do Kevin immediately shipped me a new Dilli which made me very happy.

As i now had one extra Dilli body i tried this

and it worked fine. Though i must admit i don't know if i would have done that to the original pen if it would have been fully functional..

Non notisi signi.

I also have the Dilli. I find it too small for my hand. About the size of the Shaeffer VFM.

I find that a small 1/4 twist actually makes it post and stay in place. I'm not sure if that is what it was meant to do, but it works and doesn't move the piston.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, a nice little pen for a nice price. I got mine with a flex nib. I have modded the nib (look at ease-my-flex mod post). and it flexes much easier now.