Black Pen - Ink Combo...? Need Help!

Mkim

Hello FPN!

I firmly believe that to enjoy your new pen, you have to have a good range of approved inks for coupling. There are certain inks that I believe "works" and "not-work" through a purely aesthetic judgement...

With that said, new to my stable is a Sailor KOP - black ebonite.

I am having a very difficult time finding an ink colour that goes well with this big black pen!

I want to ask you...What ink(s) do you have in your black pen?

(pictures with both the ink/pen combo will give you bonus brownies points!)

Thanks everyone!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mkim

• The Good Captain

• senzen

• RJJ

My black pen are my black Preppy and my MB 146. My Preppy has Platinum black in it. My MB has Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.

My father has a black Pelikan Souveran, and he currently has Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao in it.

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

In my black pen (was a Parker I.M, now I use a Sheaffer 100) I use Waterman Purple. A lovely combo. :)

Long reign the House of Belmont.

I've been writing a lot in black for the last few weeks and have three pens inked: Lamy Safari charcoal, Vanishing Point, and this Lamy Al-Star:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9217258031_f842702e7b_z.jpg

All loaded with waterproof Sailor Kiwa Guro, one of my favorite inks ever.

Doug

My black pen are my black Preppy and my MB 146. My Preppy has Platinum black in it. My MB has Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.

My father has a black Pelikan Souveran, and he currently has Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao in it.

Hm...black and blue very professional.... I tried Asa-GAO, for some reason I can't seem to get along with it too much, I feel like I need a bit more spunk!

In my black pen (was a Parker I.M, now I use a Sheaffer 100) I use Waterman Purple. A lovely combo. :)

Black and purple, now THAT is more my style....

I've been writing a lot in black for the last few weeks and have three pens inked: Lamy Safari charcoal, Vanishing Point, and this Lamy Al-Star:

All loaded with waterproof Sailor Kiwa Guro, one of my favorite inks ever.

Doug

I've been toying with the idea of black on black bullet proof...I have no black inks as of yet lol! Maybe it's time?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9217258031_f842702e7b_z.jpg

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh558/Pammzer/images_zps868dfed8.jpg

Very nice writing by the way ;)

Black pen = every color of the rainbow! Grab what you like and go for it. No need to stick with just plain black in a black pen!

Fair winds and following seas.

I think my preference comes from a Pelikan or MB catalog I saw when I was wee. The cover photo was black velvet, with a fountain pen nib zoomed in, and it had royal blue nib creep. I think it said something like "[brand name]... express yourself" in silver. I found the picture beautiful, with brilliant blue on silver and white and black.

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

My 405 has 4001 Blue-Black in - that's its home. 805 - empty at the moment. The three 215s have my three Akkermans in - Blue, Shocking Blue and Blue-Green. One 205 has Prime of the Commons in as that is its home. The other 205 along with the black 200 is empty.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

If you like black and purple Diamine Ecclipse might be one to try, as would any number of the gorgeous purple inks out there. Thankfully we have samples and Goulet Pens Swab Shop.

I don't own a stealth pen, but when I do, I know I'll be putting a bright turquoise in it (a la Lamy Turquoise, or WSSB).

I enjoyed Diamine Steel Blue (it's more of a green) in a black P75.

Currently I only have one black pen, an Estie that I bought thinking I'd fix that turned out to be just fine as found. I've been enjoying putting really BRIGHT colors in it, I enjoy the contrast of the staid, black pen and the really wild colors coming out. Right now it has Private Reserve Foam Green in it that I got as a sample. The last color I had in it was Diamine Apple Glory, and before that I think it was Dragon's Napalm. Of course, as usual YMMV, not everyone likes popping colors. I'd give you a pic if I wasn't still trying to figure out my new-to-me camera. :blush:

My black M1000 usually -- but not always -- has a MB blue (old or new) in it, hardly ever a black ink. We (the pen and I) just have the feeling that that's the best fitting combo we've yet experienced. The red NN always has a red in it (usually and practically always) Poppy, Pumpkin or Wild Strawberry. Green in a green pen (but not the green, striated M800) and so on.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

If you like black and purple Diamine Ecclipse might be one to try, as would any number of the gorgeous purple inks out there. Thankfully we have samples and Goulet Pens Swab Shop.

hmmm... I have been meaning to grab the Diamine Eclipse for awhile... maybe this is my chance!

I forgot about the black 600. Now that's got ESSRI in it!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

My ink deployment in black pens at the momnet is:-

• M1000 inked with MB Midnight
  • OMAS Extra inked with Asa-goa
  • Onoto Magna inked with Tsuki-yo
  • M800 inked with MB Royal Blue
  • Safari inked with R&K's Salix
  • Namiki Falcon inked with Sailor's Sky High Blue
  • MB149 inked with MB Irish Green

Right now my stand outs in Black FPs' are the two MB blues, Royal and Midnight, with the Irish Green not far behind.

Falcon