Visconti Homo Sapiens Questions

rhodialover

Hi All,

After much internal debate, I've decided to buy myself a rather expensive pen. But you see, I can't decide which one. I know that I want an Italian pen. I wanted to know which one you guys think is better, the Visconti Homo Sapiens or the OMAS Arte Italina Noir.

I also wondered if you guys could provide pictures of these pens for size comparison. This is a large purchase for me, so I want to do it right the first time. I have the option of getting the Maxi or the Midi in the Visconti, and I am a bit worried about the nib size in the Midi as it is a number 4. The Arte Italina Noir is the Milord size, but I can't seem to find pictures of it anywhere at all. I know that they only made 331 of the Milord, but someone has to have one. Thanks!

http://www.venganza.org/images/fsm.png

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raging.dragon

• Chopper88

• rhodialover

• camoandconcrete

Well i dont have both... but I had a midi steel and still have the full size bronze

Nib comparison of them. The #4 is smaller for sure but it is a wonderful nib.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/viscontinibs_zps0edfc1e2.png

I did a video review on the midi steel and so you dont have to watch the whole thing at 9:55 in I compare the midi and full size.

As far as the stunning Omas I know PenTime has some great pics.

https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/omas-arte-italiana-noir-milord-fountain-pen/

Hope it helps and good luck. Bottom line is no matter which of the 3 pens you decide on you will be getting a stunning pen!

Edited by Earthdawn

I have the Maxi Homo Sapiens and one of the older Paragons which is roughly the Milord size. Both are full size pens but I don't consider the HS oversize at least not compared to the new style Paragon. I would say go for whichever of the three you like the most, they will not disappoint. But, I will say the HS is built like a tank which makes it great for everyday carry. I've dropped it by accident from a floor about 8 meters above the ground and tossed it across a 30 meter long room and not a chip, break, scratch, etc.. I wouldn't recommend you to toss it but I was curious to see how durable it was since Visconti claimed it unbreakable or something like that.

I have the fullsize homo sapiens FP and a Noir Rollerball and they are roughly the same size. The HS is a little bit wider, but the length is equal..

The full size Paragon is wider than both and a bit longer..

About the HS durability, well... I remember an unfortunate close encounter with ( rather, against) a very well polished glass wall. Apart from pain and deep embarrassment, I watched in horror my pen tossed away by the impact hit the ground several times ( I lived the whole scene in slow motion, I promise). It had no scratch afterwards.

Anyway I own both pens, I personally prefer the HS by far due to its unique peculiarity (lava!) and the feel I get while holding it (and has the best nib among the ones i have).

I might be biased though cause I reckon it's my favorite so far.

The Omas is more classic and a fine writer too for sure, the one I have is a flexible EF nib, pleasant to write with.

Edited by Raskolnikov

So it looks like the HS has won! I remember that exactly a year ago I had the opportunity to get the HS full size over the M600. I got the M600 and have been kicking myself for almost a year for not getting the HS. I don't like the Pelikan much at all, and had it reground by Richard Binder at a pen show, and I still don't like it as much as pens that cost half as much. *Pulls out helmet and body armor * The question now is which size. I am leaning towards the Maxi just because the nib is bigger, and that I can only find the Midi in a Medium. I did watch the whole video- you've earned a new subscriber- and I thought that the pen was a broad before you mentioned that it was a medium.

The HS nibs have a tendency to be very wet writers. Mine originally had a fine that wrote like a broad on most papers.

I have a fine fine, though I seem to be an exception around here so I'd suggest you to go as fine as you can :)

Talking about sizes, I guess it's personal preference. For me the maxi just does it!

Also, I prefer the power filler over the piston filler but that's personal preference too, you'll get the ink anyway :)

I am looking for a smooth pen that lays down a ton of ink. I have the lamy safari and I like it but it feels a little rough on the paper. I haven't tried it on quality paper yet but I have been thinking about getting the HS too. However, are there other pens I should get first to get more acquainted with fountain pens or should I just dive in and pick this guy up?

EDIT* can you get multiple nibs for the hs? m, f ect..

Edited by lamynoob

Sure you can! EF, F, M, B, BB, Stub are which are available I believe.

But if you mean, to swap them yourself, I wouldn't recommend that. It's easy to wreck something or misalign the tines.

I am looking for a smooth pen that lays down a ton of ink. I have the lamy safari and I like it but it feels a little rough on the paper. I haven't tried it on quality paper yet but I have been thinking about getting the HS too. However, are there other pens I should get first to get more acquainted with fountain pens or should I just dive in and pick this guy up?

EDIT* can you get multiple nibs for the hs? m, f ect..

They have a special tool to remove nibs and such given to the retailers. I really want an extra fine nib on mine. I only use Rhodia and some Clairefontaine.

rhodialover,

I have a Bronze Maxi HS in the EF nib guise, which I exchanged for a PFM I and cash with a fellow member of this forum an year ago. My experience is:

On the positive side:

It is a dream to write with especially for long writing sessions. The 23k Palladium nib is springy not flexible. The flow of EF and F nibs are just about right (Not too wet and not too dry).

It has a unique feel due to it being made of lava and definitely well built.

One filling gives a massive volume of ink by virtue of the power filler and because it is made of Titanium permanent inks such as iron gall based inks do not harm it. I wrote with a vintage batch of Parker Quink Turquoise (highly corrosive on most pens with metal parts) and it was lovely.

The nib can be swapped by yourself, just use a piece of soft rubber tubing split in the middle, wrap it around the stem of the nib and feed and turn it. You just have to be careful which I'm sure you can manage.

On the minus side:

The bronze in the pen develops a patina over time, may appeal to some may not to others even then it is only a cosmetic disadvantage.

The cap has a tendency to loosen once clipped in a shirt pocket especially if you have move around frequently not otherwise. (This can be annoying so I carry it in a pouch).

It is a bit costly for the average individual but then again it may differ from one person to another.

Cannot post the cap if you do the balance gets altered to uncomfortable proportions.

Bottomline: Would I give up the HS, not a chance.

Now for the disclaimer: I'm not in anyway connected to Visconti or any other writing instrument manufacturer, nor do I engage in promoting them.

My daily rotation pens are a Visconti Bronze HS in EF guise, A montblanc 149 in EF guise, A montblanc 146 in F guise.

By the way, if you ever decide to dispose of the M600 please let me know, I don't mind Pelikans. I have never tried a M600 before.

They have a special tool to remove nibs and such given to the retailers. I really want an extra fine nib on mine. I only use Rhodia and some Clairefontaine.

I know, but I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere anymore.

Do you have a source?

I know, but I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere anymore.

Do you have a source?

Hello,

I bought my tool here:

http://www.penbox.co.uk/visconti.pen.nibs.htm

It was very fast delivered and fits perfect into the nib of my Home Sapiens

post-96861-0-05184300-1375032383.jpg

post-96861-0-94805200-1375032402_thumb.jpg

post-96861-0-68417200-1375032445_thumb.jpg

And here, beside the many picture of HS in Fountainpennetwork, some of mine one.:

post-96861-0-09148000-1375032543.jpg

post-96861-0-29521900-1375032557.jpg

post-96861-0-96399100-1375032708.jpg

post-96861-0-84350500-1375032584.jpg

post-96861-0-42669700-1375032621.jpg

post-96861-0-91076100-1375032646.jpg

Greetings

Thomas

Edited by thott

They're fabulous pens with some quirks. My first Homo Sapiens was a firehose with a medium nib that I sold. I now have two with perfect EF nibs: one bronze and one steel. The fit and finish of the steel is spot on, but the nib and barrel band (the one that reads "HOMO SAPIENS") on the bronze one are misaligned. The top of the nib is ~90 degrees to the left of the top of the barrel band.

Anyone know if its possible to rotate the band or the nib so that they line up?

[.....]

I think this will not be possible to move the band. I guess it is forced in. Mine is not rotatable at all.

Did you check if the nib is screwed in until to the end stop?

Greetings

Thomas

Edited by thott

They're fabulous pens with some quirks. My first Homo Sapiens was a firehose with a medium nib that I sold. I now have two with perfect EF nibs: one bronze and one steel. The fit and finish of the steel is spot on, but the nib and barrel band (the one that reads "HOMO SAPIENS") on the bronze one are misaligned. The top of the nib is ~90 degrees to the left of the top of the barrel band.

If you have a regular size is possible to rotate the nib 360 degrees: first pull nib and feed out then press in right position.

The oversize has a screw in system. Use the tool to unscrew the nib half turn to align it. If you try by hand is possible to damage the nib with ease

Hello,

I bought my tool here:

http://www.penbox.co.uk/visconti.pen.nibs.htm

It was very fast delivered and fits perfect into the nib of my Home Sapiens

[...]

Thanks for that link - the only other Visconti tool I've seen for sale is the lava handled one that was included in the (discontinued several years ago?) Homo Sapiens calligraphy kit. The price of this one is *far* more reasonable.

The nib unit used in the oversized HS has a keyed collar and feed so the nib and feed cannot be rotated within the collar. Since the nib unit screws in, it would be possible to unscrew the nib unit a bit to line it up. If you do this, be very careful the first time you cap the pen afterwards to make sure the inner cap doesn't hit and bend the nib.