Pelikan Factory Outlet - I Visited It

Voormas

Today I did it! As I live currently only about an hour away from Hannover, home of Pelikan, I used my one week summer holiday to visit the factory outlet of Pelikan today:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2818/9349963639_a79732c241_c.jpg

The little (one large room) shop can be found at Werftstrasse 9, D-30163 Hannover and is open from 1230 - 1630 from Tuesdays to Thursday.

(Not exactly readily accessible opening times when not on holiday)

The shop mostly holds school accessories and other products by Pelikan. Next to the door is a table that displays a fair amount of the "upper echelon" of Pelikan pens. The Souverän pens in true black and green, blue and red striped versions ranging from M200 to M1000. Some of the limited editions were also displayed. The whole is overseen by a very lovely lady who is not only very friendly but also extremely knowledgeable.

Prices are somewhat 20 to 30% below the cheapest offers I found on the German market I estimate. What the shop offers depends heavily on availability - if you visit with a certain pen in mind I would advise calling in advance to check if it is available. Today for example the

The lovely saleswoman worked her "Pelikan magic" on me - and instead of just having a look I ended up with quite a bag full:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7352/9349963271_4a6a55908f_z.jpg

The white M400 has a F nib if you are intrigued.

Conclusion: If you are in the area and can arrange a visit - it is definitely worth it! Have a nice chat with the saleswoman and if nothing else buy some Edelstein ink at very reduced rates!

PS: Sadly no affiliation with Pelikan :)

PPS: In a way I am already sorry for writing this as I know many will have a hard time getting there. But if you ever happen to visit you should definitely do so!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Voormas

• daenghafez

• tamiya

• MHBru

Wow, that's really neat!

I've wondered if companies like Montblanc, Pelikan, Parker/Waterman had factory outlets with seconds or discontinued items for discount prices.

It would be really fun to go there and maybe even get a factory tour.

Great tortoise by the way!

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Yes, thanks for posting this! We can imagine visiting vicariously...please post most photos of the inside if you have any!

Awesome! Very jealous.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Wow, that's really neat!

I've wondered if companies like Montblanc, Pelikan, Parker/Waterman had factory outlets with seconds or discontinued items for discount prices.

It would be really fun to go there and maybe even get a factory tour.

Great tortoise by the way!

I thought about a factory tour, too. The factory is in peine - just a few Kilometers away from the company HQ (that is where the shop is).

I forgot to mention that they do not sell any damaged or secondary quality goods there. I guess that they do not want to have a "bad quality" M1000 on the streets.

Thanks for comment on the white tortoise. I was waiting for a long time :D In october I will be able to write with a new everyday ink color at my job (green instead of the red I use now). This might make for a good combination. The lovely lady let me dip the pen - and nib and piston are incredibly smooth!

Yes, thanks for posting this! We can imagine visiting vicariously...please post most photos of the inside if you have any!

Sorry :blush:

I was to excited and giddy (like a child in a candy store) so I forgot to ask permission to take a few pictures from the inside. But it was very businesslike and not very luxurious. Just one table with a glass top and the high end pens underneath it. Most of the better pens (M200 an above) are stored somewhere else and the saleswoman gets them for you.

Were these "first goods" or were the pens flawed somehow or "factory seconds?"

Just "first goods" - my guess is they are not keen to see any "factory seconds" on the market.

Great post thanks - and if anyone arranges a tour of factory shops in Germany where discounts can be had i am up for that! :)

Two questions here:

1. Do you need to make an appointment and have special permission to tour the factory.

2. Wonder if it would be possible for them to actually make you a pen there while you wait an watch them make it.

Thnaks for sharing Voormas :) Mr Mora told me a lot about the friendliness at the Pelikan headquarters and it is shown here.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Every time I read about the history of Pelikan I found myself dreaming about visiting the Pelikan factory. It seems a little extravagant coming from Australia - but why not? People visit the Ferrari factory and the Mercedes factory.

Having a humble store with a lovely sounding assistant really gives credit to Pelikan and the value of bricks and mortar in a world of online shopping.

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give - Winston Churchill

I just asked the Pelikan Team if there is in general the possibility to visit their factory.

As I have to move 600 km to the south in a few weeks due to my job I probably will not be able to organize something.

But at least we might know if their company policy allows them to receive visitors at all.

Great purchases Voormas! Last time I was in Germany I had no idea such a shop existed at their HQ, otherwise I would have gone. I, too, would love to get a a tour of their factory. I remember reading on a fashion/art blog that the blogger had a chance to tour the Montblanc factory for her blog. I wonder if she was invited by Montblanc for the blog or she got to go on her own and decided to write about it?

• 6 years later...

Realizing this is an old post i ran across it when searching for pelikan gear ... Baseball caps, etc. Does anyone know if or where this can be found?