Is Nib Springiness Useful For Intensive Writing?

bizhe

The pilot 823 is on my to get list, but I have begun to wonder, is springiness, or bounce in a nib useful for long bouts of intensive writing or does it take away some of the efficiency?

I'm guessing this also applies to monster nibs like the one on the pelikan 1000 and mb 149 etc.

I write a lot and I'm wondering if this is going to be the right choice for me. I have a custom 74 which I use and love.

What is your experience and advice?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• bizhe

• Nib+

• Nashten

I have multiple Pelikan M1000s and MB 149s. The nibs on the M1000 are somewhat springy. It does not detract from my ability for long periods of time. The MB 149's nibs are a bit stiffer ( as compared to the nibs of the M1000), but, I havent had issues with writing for long periods of time.

I dont know about the other pens you mentioned, cuz, I have never written with them. Best of luck.

Edited by Wolverine1

It's probably more important to have the correct writing posture and grip on the pen. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Readymade
Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

I don't care for it. I have a couple of nibs with some spring to them, but they never spring because I never press down. I've never written any other way, and it was enough to get me through eleven three-hour exams in the space of a week, which is pretty intensive by anyone's definition. I can't even get a flex nib to flex when I write normally. YMMV.

I do like the look of the Pilots, though: have fun choosing!

I am a left-handed overwriter, so whether the nib has any softness or flex is of no use to me, which is why I prefer italic nibs whenever I desire line variability. However, comparing the experience of writing with a steel Lamy nib and a 18k Pilot VP nib....well, surprisingly, I like the softness of the nib even though I can't put pressure on it to make wider lines. The Lamy nib feels like a smooth nail. When it comes to writing for long sessions, I think you should be asking yourself, do I want to write with a nail or a soft nib? Will I take advantage of the springy nib in my writing?

I view this a different way:

The nib needs to be "correctly" adjusted, to your taste. There is no one correct adjustment - there are many ways to slightly change a nib, flow, and feel on the paper that reflect what works for you. Softness of the nib doesn't really seem to matter, as long as you can get full flow with no/little pressure.

The geometry of the pen needs to work for you. Again, no single answer. I prefer to hold the pen at some distance from the nib/paper contact point. Pens with longer nibs, and sections that fit my fingers and where I hold the pen are most comfortable. I also prefer pens that fit my hand unposted - better balance and lighter.

Assuming I have everything perfect, I find that for longer writing sessions I like to change pens every so often. Pens with different size, nib/section geometry, different weight, all seem to make a slight change in how the muscles on my hand and arm are being used. I get less tired if I change to a different pen every so often. Not to mention, its more interesting.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

It is a subjective one. If you naturally happen to apply a bit more pressure on certain orientations like down and down-right or down-left, then it could be useful in the way that it will give you the tactile feel, and the neat cursive effect if you have the right nib to go with it.

I apply a bit of pressure on my down-right oriented swipes. Down and down-left get pretty much none. So when my semi-flex Duofold or full-flex 52 give me that bit of line variation and feedback, I know I've done my letter/shape right. :)

As for what I mean in the stroke/swipe orientations, take a look at how the 8, capital S, capital L, and other certain letters/shapes you make when writing and see if you actually do 'flex' (apply more pressure) a nib during certain parts. If you do and you go for a nice semi-flex, the tactile feeling is fantastic. Almost akin to the feeling of using an IBM Clickey keyboard, or a Cherry MX Blue switch when you type.

Edit in: As for its usefulness, that is up to you to decide. I think it is useful as it gives me the feeling that I have, as said, did something right with the letter, so I can move on. And it just makes me happy seeing the line variation and prettiness of a letter done right. Tactile feel involved too. Very satisfying. :P

Just my two cents of course. :) (It's what I've learned about pens and penmanship myself.)

Edited by Nashten

"Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often at times we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Depends on how hard you write. If during long writing sessions you tend to write harder over time, then springiness could be distracting on the down stroke. If you like to add flair to your cursive writing, then it is wonderful to have some softness. However everyone's definition of softness differs, so you kind of have to determine it yourself.

http://www.venganza.org/images/fsm.png

The springiness of my Namiki Falcon and semiflex Eversharp nibs are comfortable to write with, but I really don't feel a huge improvement in springy nibs when compared to rigid nibs.

Unless one is looking at an actual flex-point, spring's main role is like the suspension of a car-- it deadens the sensation of irregularities. Since most paper isn't riddled with pot-holes, this is less of a noticeable difference than one would find in the ride of a Cadillac limo vs. a Honda, but in a long writing session it might make for less crankiness. I wouldn't worry about efficiency, either. Unless you're purposefully bearing down to get line variation, the energy input requirements of a springy and a stiff point are exactly the same; just enough enhancement of gravity to maintain contact with the page.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

If you let the pen write under its own weight then the type of nib doesn't matter. The less pressure you use, the longer you can write without fatigue. I prefer a light pen so I can use a relaxed grip. Shake your fingers out every few minutes to keep tension from building.

Carpe Stilo

I like a bit of flexibility as I seem to pay less attention to the pen and more to what I'm writing. I think maybe the nib is more responsive to my hand; sort of takes care of itself. It adjusts to the pressure that I apply naturally as part of the act of writing. I do like flexible nibs very much but that's not what I'm talking about. For extended writing, line variation is just a welcome side effect.

Get a vintage 1960's-1980's MB 149 which offers a higher degree of flexibility than the modern 149 and even the pelikan 1000. Otherwise get an Omas Paragon or an Omas 360 which are far better pens out of the box than the Pilot 823.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Get a vintage 1960's-1980's MB 149 which offers a higher degree of flexibility than the modern 149 and even the pelikan 1000. Otherwise get an Omas Paragon or an Omas 360 which are far better pens out of the box than the Pilot 823.

you say this in every thread

why???????

NO AFFILIATION, EVEN WITH MYSELF.

I hate to say it depends, but…. First, the definition of “springy” or “soft” or even the elusive “flexible” is subjective in the extreme. I’ve always thought Parker’s Sonnet 18k nibs were as “soft” as Pilot’s “soft” nibs, even though the Sonnet is not specifically labeled as such. Similarly, most people agree the Pelikan M1000 has a “springy” nib. I could actually see an argument for both sides of this question: One might say a firm nib is more efficient, since as at least one other person stated previously, a number of folks press harder the longer they write. Alternatively, a “soft” or “springy” nib typically requires less pressure to write, which could conceivably reduce hand fatigue. I write very well with Pilot and Platinum’s soft fine nibs for long periods of time. It’s probably more an issue of finding a pen with the right smoothness and flow for your particular hand-writing style. Weight and balance are also important considerations.

Edited by Jezza

you say this in every thread

why???????

Because my collection and my experience regarding pen collecting are big enough to allow me to say so. I can back up my statements easily.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Because my collection and my experience regarding pen collecting are big enough to allow me to say so. I can back up my statements easily.

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

if i could be worthy to polish your jewels i would be grateful

NO AFFILIATION, EVEN WITH MYSELF.

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

if i could be worthy to polish your jewels i would be grateful

Nah, I was just kidding with you :lol: :D I think once you have tried some older vintage models and some specific pens, they often come back as your favorites. The ergonomy, the quality of a nib and the reliability of the filling system mean a lot when you buy a pen. If I advise someone a certain pen that is because I know he will be happy with it and enjoy it for many many years. I don't force anyone to listen to my advice, it is your money not mine, so you do what you want with your money. I have started collecting pens back in late 2006 but always wrote with fps since I am 7, hence why I am very very nitpicking and very demanding maybe too much.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

I like semi-flex, they give a nice smooth ride and can be written as fast as a nail or regular flex. Got some 26 or so.

My facts be before 1950 is too skimpy to talk about MB.

I have a MB 234 1/2 Deluxe (52-55 only) 14 C, KOB. My #1 pen, with a KOB nib. That is a Waverly tip.

From 1950-'65 MB had a nib with semi-flex, could be even 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. From '66-75 they had a bit less flex than the '50s-65 ones. From my reading. After all I only have one. I would buy a '50's-65 MB nib in a heart beat.

There is a chart over on the MB section that tells you the years when MB made nibs with some flex.

So after 1975 MB only made springy nibs...not semi-flex...so that equals not as good.

I want though a Soennecken. Those did have nibs more flexible than just semi-flex. 1950's The Soennecken 111/222/333/444 were the best pens made...in the era of the Snorkel and the 146-9.

I have a modern one, a Woolf, it has a springy nib.....a springy nib is not semi-flex, it is a set below. It bends it's tip, but don't spread it's tines as much when mashed as much as a regular flex. Do keep in mind it is a 18K nib....not the more flexible vintage 18C nib. So don't mash an 18 K nib..it could stay bent.

C and K are two different alloys.

Always take the C over a K.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.