Finally ordered a Lamy 2000!

Johnson

I'm sorry to hear about your 2000. It's just the curse of the limited number of B/M stores. I bought my first few 'good' FP's from B/M, including my first couple of Lamy pens (in Houston). It's so nice to be able to physically talk with someone. I've got a couple of Sheaffers that need nib attn. right now and I've got to get in gear to send them in before I can't.

I have a pen that needs to go to Lamy--please give us a followup.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Johnson

• johnr55

• RLTodd

• sunil_k

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about your 2000. I also bought mine from Pear Tree Pens and it wrote nicely out of the box, but put down a line that was way too broad (and I ordered a XF nib). I cannot use anything other than XF due to my small handwriting, so I had to alter the nib to be even finer. Now that it is all smoothed out and makes lines a little thinner than my Vanishing Point fine nib, it is a superb writer and has become my favourite pen.

Jason's current rotation:

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

Received the 2000 yesterday, it is a terrible writer.

Yikes, I'm shocked!

Well, it does happen... sometimes a pen slips through the quality control cracks. I am sure that Pear Tree Pens will get you a replacement. Contact them promptly. *IF* by some weird chance there's a bad batch in Pear Tree's stock room, don't give up--you can have them cover the cost of shipping it off to Bob Nurin at Filofax/LamyUSA. He is great with Lamy nibs. And then I'm sure you will find yourself enjoying the Lamy 2000. Certainly there are many here who can attest to it.

The medium nib does lay down a wet line, almost like a broad. I opted for an oblique medium and enjoy the subtle line variation it makes.

Whoa--hold it. Did you try giving the pen a good cleaning? Sometimes there is manufacturing residue left behind that could interfere with the ink flow. A gentle nib dip test by QC would miss that. Try some white vinegar or diluted ammonia.

Btw, here's a recent positive on the Lamy 2000:

John Reiss's great Lamy 2000 experience

~Gary

EDIT: re-read 1st post and changed content

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I'm so tired of DOA pens, but I guess I should just get used to the fact that I will have to send off a new pen for repair everytime I buy one.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experiences, especially with brand new pens! I'd seen that you'd posted earlier about the Pelikan Grand Place that had given you trouble. Not to sound like a cretin, but I found the same great sale at Fahrney's and ordered myself the same pen. Mine came with a very satisfactory nib (not perfect, but nice and very usable), but the Cross Apogee I ordered with it was a nightmare! :( I sent it back, only to get another pen that was just... :sick: Dragging a splintered club across chain-mail armor would have generated less scratch than that pen :angry:

That being said... I've almost always had very good luck buying new pens from trusted sellers. If there have been troubles (fortunately, they've been few), I've been able to arrange a prompt solution with minimal aggravation. Trust me, I'm not known for my patience, so when I say prompt, I mean really fast!

Anyway, don't lose hope yet! :D We all have a string of bad luck now and then... Hopefully that'll be behind you soon and you'll have nothing but fantastic luck and butter-smooth nibs!!

Best wishes,

Mike

PS - I've got a 2000 in XF. It's a smooth - albeit REALLY generous - nib that wrote great from day one. Hopefully a quick exchange will have you :)9

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

UPDATE: Just FYI, I did do all the usual "FPN tricks" ;) for new pens, such as the drop of dish soap in a cup of cold water flushing, and the 10% ammonia/cold water soaking, nothing seemed to get this pen to cooperate.

However, I received an email back from James at Pear Tree Pens, and he offered not only to ship me out a new 2000 tomorrow, but to also include a postage paid sticker so I can mail the Lamy-lemon back to him at no charge to myself. Really, I see this as above and beyond just good service, that is fantastic service. :)

Thanks all for the advice, I'm pretty sure I won't receive two lemons in a row, so I'm looking forward to coming back to you all with positive reports of the Lamy 2000.

happiness isn't caused