Finally ordered a Lamy 2000!

Johnson

Hello FPN'ers!

I was just sitting at my computer last night, listening to Harnoncourt do Mozart's Requiem, and I thought to myself, as these types of thoughts often pop into my head at the strangest times, "It is ridiculous that you do not yet own a Lamy 2000! When you first got into this hobby it was one of the first pens that attracted your attention, with its no nonsense bauhaus design, excellent reputation as a workhorse, and unchanged model design for decades." So on that impulse last night I went to Pear Tree Pens and, after just a few clicks, ordered myself a Lamy 2000 with an "M" nib. I see today it has shipped! Thanks JamesP for getting it out so quickly, can't wait to finally try out this classic writing instrument. :)9

I've read that Lamy 2000 nibs tend towards the wide side. I hope the M nib gives a nice wet line. :drool:

EDIT: I'm also hoping I can add it to my official "Screaming Deals in Fountain Pen-dom" signature. :)

Edited by Johnson

happiness isn't caused

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Johnson

• johnr55

• RLTodd

• sunil_k

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your new pen. Mine will be here on Friday (the EF version) from isellpens.com. Let us know how you like it.

I have a fine as I heard the 2000 is a wet writer and a fine is like a medium (which is my preferred nib size). It's a joy to write with this pen. It feels great in my hand, easy to fill, writes like a dream on all sorts of paper. It's inked with Waterman Black at the moment.

Johnson-

You have acted with responsiblility and will not be disappointed-

I have a F nib and it is always ready to lay down a solid line- more medium that fine, but what the hell, live life to the widest- as long as it is not broader than you wish-

Tony

Johnson-

You have acted with responsiblility and will not be disappointed-

I love this. Not only was my impulse purchase not a bad thing to do, it was the responsible thing to do. :D Gotta love this community. :P

Thanks all for the kind words. I like a M nib that gives out a good bit of ink. Sometimes with the richer inks like PR American Blue, I like to get my face real close to the paper while I'm writing, and watch the ink glisten as it exits the nib and slowly begins to dry. I know that is kind of weird, but one of the first things I remember really wow-ing me in this hobby was the way real live liquid ink is coming out of the pen. :)

I'll be sure to let you all know what I think.

happiness isn't caused

On top of its other sterling qualities, I so love the fact that my 25+ year old 2000 looks just like it did the day I bought it, because of that Makrolon body.

Why are no other pens made using this material?

Congratulations--if it's not right, Lamy will make it so :D

buying a new pen is always a good thing--makes everyday special to me waiting for the mail to arrive to see it it got here yet :bunny1:

Wyatt Earp--Wyatt Earp

brave,courageous and bold

long live his fame & long live his glory

and long may his story be told

I *need* to go to Paradise Pen to check out their 2000. I've heard good thinks about it, and my old Lamy still is a pretty good pen.

Congratulations!

"The person who takes the banal and ordinary and illuminates it in a new way can terrify. We do not want our ideas changed. We feel threatened by such demands. 'I already know the important things!' we say. Then Changer comes and throws our old ideas away."

--Frank Herbert; Chapterhouse: Dune

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

hi johnson! congratulations on your new pen.. guess what my lamy 2000 just got delivered today too! :) Ordered it from pengallery.com together with montblanc bordeaux.. cant wait to try it too :)

The very first pen i ordered is a pelikan grand place.. but its too beautiful to use as an everyday writer so i got meself a lamy :D

Aw, your Grand Place would be a stalwart and trusty daily writer. The Pels are wonderful workhorses. Not that you can't have both. Maybe you can just use it every Friday or something. :)

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Johnson,

I share your feelings toward the 2000. About time I bought one, too! I live in up in B'ham and a local store deals in Lamy. I handled a 2000 a week or so ago and have decided to order one from them with a fine nib.

BTW, I prefer John Elliot Gardiner for the Requiem (and a lot of other stuff), but have not sampled Harnoncourt's recording.

-Mike

I would guess because most of us dont like the looks of the material and therefore there is only enough of a market to support one manufacture, Lamy.

YMMV

Aw, your Grand Place would be a stalwart and trusty daily writer.  The Pels are wonderful workhorses.  Not that you can't have both.  Maybe you can just use it every Friday or something.  :)

hi sonia!

yeah ive read quite a lot abt how wonderful pels are.. thats why i made it my very first fp :) but damn, the grand place looks soooo good! Ive decided to use it as a special writer... to write old fashioned loveletters to my fiance :) and the lamy 2000 as my regular writer

It shipped the next day? That was fast. I really miss the realworld pen browsing I did back home (UK), and am actually a bit frustrated at how long the mail can take here (US), having to cover the distances it does. I should check out Pear Tree Pens.

Enjoy the Lamy. I just made a similar impulse buy of a Safari, and actually the Studio may be my next and LAST PEN EVER.

Congrats on your purchase--we do, indeed, need the support the ethics and aesthetics of Lamy, it seems to me.

Eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)

I would guess because most of us dont like the looks of the material and therefore there is only enough of a market to support one manufacture, Lamy.

Makrolon doesn't have to have either the appearance or the texture of the 2000. OTOH, you may be right!

Makrolon doesn't have to have either the appearance or the texture of the 2000. OTOH, you may be right!

That also may be true.

I thought the Safari line was made of something else, but.......

YMMV

Just an update: another disappointment.

Received the 2000 yesterday, it is a terrible writer. Hardly puts down any ink at all unless I apply more pressure then is necessary on any of my other FPs, and then the line is sloppy and skips. Definite "baby bottom" syndrome, along with what might be some other problems. I guess I'm shipping the pen off to Lamy USA on Monday. :(

I'm so tired of DOA pens, but I guess I should just get used to the fact that I will have to send off a new pen for repair everytime I buy one.

happiness isn't caused