Pelikan M605 V. Pilot Custom 823 V. Sailor 1911 (Realo?)

lightless

All three are great pens. Size-wise, Pelikan's 6 series is rather small compared to the Pilot Custom 823. The Sailor is not that big; but, I can write with it unposted. I just hate posting the cap.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lightless

• The Good Captain

• tarheel1

• Brian C

I hate to be THAT guy that suggests something completely different, but what he heck! How about an older MB146 with the plastic piston threads? Can be had used at a relatively decent price, is similar to the Pelikan but doesn't have the section ring.

I would buy a Pilot rather than either of the others.

Had a Sailor. 1911 M. It would have been quite satisfactory had it been my first pen, and I didn't buy any more.

Have had Pelikans, M1000, M805, M800, M640, M605, M400, M250, M200. They write well, and, as before, if I hadn't had other pens I might have stopped with ones I kept, the M2xx and M400s. I don't like the shape of Pelikans, it reminds me of Parker Duofolds. Don't like the Duofold either; it reminds me of Pelikans.

I have had various pilots. The Vanishing Point and some kind of MB 146 sized Pilot. Nice, I liked the way it wrote. It went off to someone else in a trade, and I discovered that much less expensive Cross Solos were made by Pilot. I actually liked the Solos better.

Actually any would do, and you might eventually try all three.

Hahahahahaha!

Great pens--you can't go wrong with any of them. I don't presently own the M600, but I have all of the others you mentioned. The Sailors are very stiff, but mine are smooth and a joy to use. I recommend the C/C Sailor--the Realo is nice, but I haven't found it worth the premium. Moreover, the Sailor cartridge holds more ink than the Realo's internal reservoir.

The Pilot 823 is amazing. I prefer light weight pens, but the 823 hardly seems uncomfortable for prolonged writing sessions. One little caveat: You do have to periodically unscrew the end cap of the 823 to allow ink to flow into the feed. Pilot's #15 nib is amazing. Truly, one of the best nibs on the market today.

Edit:

I think I've taken the Pelikan out due to the price. I'm balking at jumping that far over the 1911 and the 823. That leaves the 1911 and the 823 with a $40 gap between them at 20% off MSRP over at Mottishaw's.

The Sailor 1911...

-a tiny bit stockier

-has a C/C which makes maintenance easy

-lower ink capacity, which means hitting the bottle more often

-I can syringe fill a cartridge for more capacity, or use the syringe to get the last drops out of a bottle

-lighter than the 823 uncapped, and a tiny bit heavier posted, I think

-burgundy!

-sexy

The Pilot Custom 823...

-larger nib

-built-in filling system, greater ink capacity, (but filling from smaller or emptying bottles could be a problem without an inkwell?)

-longer and slightly narrower

-just a little lighter uncapped than the 1911 posted

-brown!

-also sexy

Both have very acclaimed nibs, with some of us who own both preferring the 1911's nib, and the 823's nib receiving praise all around. Darn! :lticaptd:

While the 1911 seems to be more of a "forget and go" pen, the 823 seems to take a little more in the way of care, but still has its appeals in the cool filling system, color, and big nib.

Edited by lightless

lightless

• 3 weeks later...

A huge thank you to everyone for taking the time to help me!

Here she is!

http://i.imgur.com/jKJL2QN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/F7ufm8y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hEw7XPR.jpg

Of course, after all my clamoring about wanting the pen to be long enough to be comfortable unposted I found myself instinctually posting this pen for the fantastic balanced feel. :lticaptd:

Edited by lightless

lightless

My Realo is the maroon one as well and it's the only other pen I have, apart from the Sapporo, that I sometimes used posted.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I would have gone with a pre 1997 m 800

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time