The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Goulet Pens Dropped As Sailor Ink Provider

sailor ink alternatives to sailor ink

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#41 cbaytan

cbaytan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:19

With this occasion let me ask you, what is the craziness about Sailor? I guess nice Japanese and Chinese characters can be written nice and easily  with Sailor's specialty nibs. Are there any other reason for Sailor Crazyness? Or just a fan-boy thing?

So I don't think a few foreigners boycotting the brand would make them lose money. Some people are crazy about Sailor (and I do mean crazy). 

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most.... 

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

Sponsored Content

#42 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:19

With this occasion let me ask you, what is the craziness about Sailor? I guess nice Japanese and Chinese characters can be written nice and easily  with Sailor's specialty nibs. Are there any other reason for Sailor Crazyness? Or just a fan-boy thing?

Sailor, along with Visconti, are the 2 brands which are most represented in my collection.  For the most part, I like Sailor b/c they write really well (I have a spectrum from F to B to Zoom), they look elegant (and in the case of the Maki-E and wood pens, the craftsmanship is of really high quality) and their prices are quite reasonable for what they offer.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

#43 GabrielleDuVent

GabrielleDuVent

The Sylph Scribe of the Unseelie Court, 2nd Class

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2013 - 15:24

I actually have no idea, but I know a few people in Japan who will only purchase Sailor products, and nothing else. They turn rather hostile if someone bad-mouths Sailor. It's a bit scary!

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié. 

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

#44 Unky

Unky

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2013 - 16:09

Since fountain pens and supplies are such a niche market, one would think that a company like Sailor would want as many retailers as possible. Especially a repuitible company as The Goulet Pen Company, who has positively represented their inks. Living in Ohio where there are only two brick & mortar pen suppliers in the entire state,(Clintonville & Cincinnati) one of which is more of a repair shop, online shopping is a must. That is only way to purchase products that one wants without settling for whatever is right in front the person. Sailor will lose a lot of customers who are similar situations. The Goulet's have and will continue to have my business due to their consummate professionalism, knowledge, and the personal touches with all sales.

The education of a man is never complete until he dies. Gen. Robert E. Lee

#45 AtomicLeo

AtomicLeo

AtomicLeo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2013 - 19:03

When I first got in to fountain pens about 5 years there were numerous online stores and my local B&M that sold Sailor pens and inks. The fourth pen I bought was a large 1911.  My local store stopped carrying the Sailor pens about 3-4 years ago and when I asked about it, they told me that the US distributor was too difficult to deal with and they couldn't get stock. Now I've noticed that online that the Sailor presence is decreasing as well. I wonder if this is just part of a larger move to significantly reduce their presence in the US?

Atomic Leo

#46 kkshadow

kkshadow

We are all the same.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:54

Sent Itoya a real letter written in Sailor Grenade telling them they lost a customer and asking them to reconsider their decision.  Curious to see if I get a response back.

I did receive a response back from Itoya.  This evening I came home to a box that had been delivered.  Inside was a letter, a bottle of ink, and  a Haiku A5 size journal "as a token of goodwill".  Sorry I don't have OCR software, but am attaching a pdf (if the board will let me) of the letter.  It's very polite, and quite frankly more than I expected.

In short, it reaffirmed that Atoya is the sole North American distributor for Sailor Pen Products company, and in polite management speak "from time to time, we are faced with the task of determining... and make necessary adjustments to our distribution system"  you know the rest. 

The letter closes "I highly respect your patronage and loyalty towards Goulet Pens and hope they will continue to provide you with the customer support you need as a writing enthusiast. "

Attached Files

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted Image

#47 cadfael_tex

cadfael_tex

Pen Chappy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:03

This thread has had a funny effect on me.  I started out rather defensive of one of my two favorite online FP merchants and told myself, 'by Gosh, I'll show them; I won't buy any of their stuff."  The truth being that I hadn't ever really considered their products and knew little about them.  Did a little digging and now I know a lot more about them and dag nabbit if some of their pens aren't appealing to me.

No comment on the decision because I gave up guessing on why people do things a long time ago.  

#48 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• 1,580 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:46

I did receive a response back from Itoya.  This evening I came home to a box that had been delivered.  Inside was a letter, a bottle of ink, and  a Haiku A5 size journal "as a token of goodwill".  

Either someone at distributor has a fine sense of irony, or the Gods of Irony are having a laugh.

Which ink?  :)

#49 cbaytan

cbaytan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:52

Haha, A bottle of ink, and a journal, some gifts in short,  would mean different things in different cultures, causing different reactions. Actually they utterly mention the purpose of the gifts in the letter..

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most.... 

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

#50 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:46

Since fountain pens and supplies are such a niche market, one would think that a company like Sailor would want as many retailers as possible. Especially a repuitible company as The Goulet Pen Company, who has positively represented their inks.

Apparently, they wish to transfer the Goulet Sailor Ink sales to dealers who are carrying the pens.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#51 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:54

Did a little digging and now I know a lot more about them and dag nabbit if some of their pens aren't appealing to me.

Well Itoya is not Sailor.  Now that I think of it, I've only bought maybe $68 of Sailor product through Itoya.  It's a little sandbox they're playing in, I do suspect.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#52 kkshadow

kkshadow

We are all the same.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2013 - 00:14

Either someone at distributor has a fine sense of irony, or the Gods of Irony are having a laugh.

Which ink?   :)

Grenade, which is the same ink I used to write the letter. 

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted Image

#53 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• 1,580 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 17:49

Grenade, which is the same ink I used to write the letter. 

I really dig that one - a really nice and unique color.    Some good came of this after all, eh?  :)

#54 mremptypants

mremptypants

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:08

I also just sent a letter to Itoya and Sailor.  They can make these decisions.  I completely support Goulet, but for me the issue is different.  I feel compelled to voice my opinion and I did.  I'd like to think that 50-100 emails or letters would get their attention.  I was in the market for Apricot, I bought Yu-Yake instead. We will survive.  Sailor, I am not so sure.  Big or small, the Goulet's (or similar) BUY product from Sailor and that yields profit for several levels of distribution.  In this world economy a Company that turns away profitable business is not going to make it.

#55 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2013 - 00:24

In a previous correspondence with Mrs. Goulet, she said that Iroshizuku won't let the Goulets go lower than their current price.  I asked back when Yama-Budo was in the Ink Drop, but it didn't go on sale that month for Ink Drop members.  She apologized (which wasn't necessary :thumbup:) and explained that Iroshizuku wouldn't allow them to sell below that.  I don't know if they would actually drop them or not....

The Iroshizuku price is set by Pilot USA. According to Art Browns, where you could have bought any Sailor ink before about 6pm today, PILOT USA complained when an on-line ink company began to import Iroshizuku inks, by-passing Pilot USA, and sold Iroshi at about $20 a bottle. Pilot said, approximately: "The MSRP is $35 per bottle. Retailers can discount 20%. Any retailer who discounts more than 20% will have no Pilot products...none at all". 

Pilot's intention was and is to have all imports to the US through their licensed distributor. WalMart might have more negotiating power, but the business principle is that a company won't want to be your US distributor if retailers can find another channel to get your product.

On the Sailor issue? I don't know. I just happened through this sub-area after lamenting the closing of Art Browns. A shop where I could walk in and pick up nearly any ink, and where the staff knew my preferences and had their own opinions: "XX Blue? That's not blue...it's a purple that only THINKS it's blue". 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500

#56 Elizabeth in NJ

Elizabeth in NJ

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:36

I did receive a response back from Itoya.  This evening I came home to a box that had been delivered.  Inside was a letter, a bottle of ink, and  a Haiku A5 size journal "as a token of goodwill".  Sorry I don't have OCR software, but am attaching a pdf (if the board will let me) of the letter.  It's very polite, and quite frankly more than I expected.

In short, it reaffirmed that Atoya is the sole North American distributor for Sailor Pen Products company, and in polite management speak "from time to time, we are faced with the task of determining... and make necessary adjustments to our distribution system"  you know the rest. 

The letter closes "I highly respect your patronage and loyalty towards Goulet Pens and hope they will continue to provide you with the customer support you need as a writing enthusiast. "

I sent a polite note on July 18 and haven't even received an email in acknowledgement.

#57 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• 1,580 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:17

The Iroshizuku price is set by Pilot USA. According to Art Browns, where you could have bought any Sailor ink before about 6pm today, PILOT USA complained when an on-line ink company began to import Iroshizuku inks, by-passing Pilot USA, and sold Iroshi at about $20 a bottle. Pilot said, approximately: "The MSRP is $35 per bottle. Retailers can discount 20%. Any retailer who discounts more than 20% will have no Pilot products...none at all". 

Pilot's intention was and is to have all imports to the US through their licensed distributor. WalMart might have more negotiating power, but the business principle is that a company won't want to be your US distributor if retailers can find another channel to get your product.

Yeah, a lot of companies are really caught in the middle when it comes to managing their dealer outlets in this era of internet-driven competition.   Pilot isnt unique here - and they really are in a tight spot here.  

They, and all the other companies like them, will have to ultimately take the leap and give up some control over their retail network and let the chips fall where they may.    There really is no other way around it long-term - but it is a difficult decision to make, especially when the lure of being able to effectively police the dealer network remains in place.   So you end up with decisions like this.

#58 kenmc

kenmc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2013 - 14:14

Lament no more. The friendly folks at Anderson Pens have the whole Sailor line.

http://andersonpens.net/

:)

Ken McDaniel
<")}}}>><(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor ink, alternatives to sailor ink

Sponsored Content

|