The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

F-C Royal Blue: Under-Appreciated

faber-castell royal blue

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 chandelle

chandelle

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:30

I bought a 2 oz. bottle of Faber-Castell Royal Blue ink a month or so ago (for a touch under $5.50) and quite like it. There's nothing either remarkable or dislikable about it. The saturation is just right and flows very well; not sure whether it has any lubricating property.

The bottle curiously is a replica of the Pelikan 4001 and I wonder if the two source the ink off the same manufacturer? I hope not, because the Pelikan has (as I gathered from the posts here) notoriety for fading away completely...

Experiences of others who may have been using F-C RB for a longer duration would be welcome, thanks.

------------------------------------------------------
'Nothing' isn't impossible. I've done it all my life
http://fountainpenre....wordpress.com/

Sponsored Content

#2 harlequin-RIH

harlequin-RIH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:50

lol, I thought you meant Franklin-Christoph from the title.  I was unaware that they even had a royal blue, just denim blue.

#3 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:27

I haven't seen the ink either.  We'd love to see a review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#4 Scriver

Scriver

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:42

I had understood Faber Castell fountain pen ink simply to be rebranded Pelikan ink.  I'd be curious to hear if it behaves differently.

#5 cmalanis

cmalanis

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 14:12

... I also thought it was Franklin-Christoph... :P 

would be a good idea to upload a scan of your ink test..

#6 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:01

I have no proof that Faber-Castell inks and Pelikan inks are made by one and the same manufacturer but I, myself, would say: "Yes, they are".

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#7 hoppes no9

hoppes no9

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 19:00

The FC and Pelikan bottles are the same.

I find the FC Royal Blue to be a middle-of-the-pack lightish blue, relatively unsaturated.  In my mind it's a bit boring, and I rarely use it.

yJz_yPDL5xZqQi4sFMoiL33Lzxjizv8aUjJPSDFN

#8 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2013 - 23:13

No harm meant, but I don't see a swab of your Pelikan Royal Blue here (for a direct comparison with the Faber-Castell Royal Blue).

Also, both bottles look the same -- and even have the same lids (although the Faber-Castell lid has no bird on it) -- but the Faber-Castell bottle is more than twice as big as the Pelikan bottle.

Mike

#9 chandelle

chandelle

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:32

No harm meant, but I don't see a swab of your Pelikan Royal Blue here (for a direct comparison with the Faber-Castell Royal Blue).

Also, both bottles look the same -- and even have the same lids (although the Faber-Castell lid has no bird on it) -- but the Faber-Castell bottle is more than twice as big as the Pelikan bottle.

Mike

Wilco. Over the next weekend (Fri-Sat), possibly. That said, I've never done swabs earlier, but will look it up ere then :)

------------------------------------------------------
'Nothing' isn't impossible. I've done it all my life
http://fountainpenre....wordpress.com/

#10 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:25

Wilco. Over the next weekend (Fri-Sat), possibly. That said, I've never done swabs earlier, but will look it up ere then :)

Sorry, my reply was directed at hoppes no9, who -- along with those 10 swabs above -- had also said "The FC and Pelikan bottles are the same".

Mike

#11 Nonsensical

Nonsensical

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:46

Sorry, my reply was directed at hoppes no9, who -- along with those 10 swabs above -- had also said "The FC and Pelikan bottles are the same".

Mike

According to the specifications given for the FC bottles, they should be the same as the larger Pelikan bottles (62.5ml). They also happen to be the same shape...given pictures posted by I believe...you?

#12 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 14:11

According to the specifications given for the FC bottles, they should be the same as the larger Pelikan bottles (62.5ml). They also happen to be the same shape...given pictures posted by I believe...you?

I don't know of any 62.5 ml Pelikan bottles. Maybe our cap'n does since I recall seeing an old photo of a Pelikan  true iron-gall ink bottle which I think he posted. It was at least 30 years old and may have had that shape too. In any case, the only Pelikan bottles available today which are larger than the usuial (4001) 30 ml bottles are those of the TG! series which are 50 ml bottles (available BTW only in Royal Blue or Brilliant Black):

fpn_1374415774__pelikan_tg1.jpg

#13 Nonsensical

Nonsensical

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 15:10

I don't know of any 62.5 ml Pelikan bottles. Maybe our cap'n does since I recall seeing an old photo of a Pelikan  true iron-gall ink bottle which I think he posted. It was at least 30 years old and may have had that shape too. In any case, the only Pelikan bottles available today which are larger than the usuial (4001) 30 ml bottles are those of the TG! series which are 50 ml bottles (available BTW only in Royal Blue or Brilliant Black):

fpn_1374415774__pelikan_tg1.jpg

They're actually widely available in 62.5ml bottles as well. I have turquoise, blue black, black and royal blue in those bottles. A quick look at ebay shows the 62.5ml bottles on sale http://www.ebay.com/...ountain-pen-ink (2nd item that pops up).

#14 hoppes no9

hoppes no9

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 19:05

Mike

I did not say the INKS were the same.  Since I don't own Pelikan Royal Blue, I didn't include it in the swab comparison.

I said the FC and Pelikan BOTTLES are the same.  I own Pelikan Turquoise and FC Royal Blue, both 62.5 ml, and the bottles are essentially identical.  These are not my pics but this is what my bottles look like.  I mentioned the similarity of the bottles merely as additional info regarding the question "are FC inks sourced from the same supplier as Pelikan inks".

81tFBMmy7LL._SL1500_.jpg

82152alt.jpg

Edited by hoppes no9, 21 July 2013 - 19:07.

#15 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 23:59

Hmm...I think the Diplomat ink is in that same bottle too.... Let me go look.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#16 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 00:01

D20000324-2.jpg?1371547712

#17 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:13

You are right, Mike. This one.

fpn_1342086936__pelikan_blue-black_ferro

And as others have pointed out, the 62.5ml bottles are available and are the same shape. I have 'one or two' of the Blue-Black, as you might have guessed.

On one of my small 4001 bottles that I now use for ESSRI, I noticed that one inside bottom corner was lower that the other and presume that this isn't just a one-off flaw but a design to allow last-drop filling. I don't know as I've no others to check at present.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#18 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 16:18

I said the FC and Pelikan BOTTLES are the same....

I'll buy that. Figuratively and literally.

You are right, Mike. This one.

And as others have pointed out, the 62.5ml bottles are available and are the same shape. I have 'one or two' of the Blue-Black, as you might have guessed.

On one of my small 4001 bottles that I now use for ESSRI, I noticed that one inside bottom corner was lower that the other and presume that this isn't just a one-off flaw but a design to allow last-drop filling. I don't know as I've no others to check at present.

So, my guess was right!

Thanks, guys. We're getting closer. Hanover just told me that 62.5-ers are not manufactured here in Germany (only 30, 50 and 1000 ml). But I do see in internet (see above link and elsewhere) that the sellers also say "Country of Manufacture: Germany". BTW it also seems true according to http://www.cultpens....tle-62-5ml.html that all 8 4001 inks are available in 62.5-ml packs.

QUESTION NOW: Can anybody hand out a bar code number or two for any of those 62.5-ers? 

TIA

#19 Nonsensical

Nonsensical

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 17:45

Thanks to my strange obsession with keeping bottled ink in the boxes they came in where possible...here goes.

Black: 4012700329141

Blue Black: 4012700329158

Blue: 4012700329134

Turquoise: 4012700329202

#20 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 20:25

Thanks to my strange obsession with keeping bottled ink in the boxes they came in where possible...here goes.

Black: 4012700329141

Blue Black: 4012700329158

Blue: 4012700329134

Turquoise: 4012700329202

First of all, thanks a million. Now I know what I can mail Hanover tomorrow. I wouldn't call that an obsession at all. I do that all the time. Throwing things out  -- itself -- might be named a hobby. Inks themselves: yes, bottles: sometimes; boxes: never!

Mike

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faber-castell, royal blue

Sponsored Content

|