Hakase Rw15C - Rosewood Flat-Top, Fine Nib

mongrelnomad

Fantastic review. Thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed it! :thumbup:

I'm in spontaineously falling of chair mode - great review of a fabulous, unique and, if I may say, gloriously ideosyncratic pen. It's so organic and yet at the same time perfectly finished, I'm just in awe basically!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Hope the fall didn't hurt too much :happy:

WOW! What a review Mongrelnomad!

High command over language and expression of imotion towards the pen!

Fantastic!

This pen might be the best pen reviewed during last one year or more! Wonderful pen!

Rgds.

Abhik

Thanks Abhik. I'm blushing over here :bunny01:

I have been waiting for the review. Thanks!

I wonder if a black ebonite section and ebtrails would have looked better? why did they go for the rippled ebonite?

Hope you enjoyed it. Has it driven you closer to the (Hakase purchasing) precipice?

I'm sure they'd be happy to do you a black ebonite section should you prefer, but the ripple's markings are so similar to the contours of the wood that I think it was a very prudent - and successful - choice.

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• hari317

• Sblakers

• drgoretex

Hope you enjoyed it. Has it driven you closer to the (Hakase purchasing) precipice?

I'm sure they'd be happy to do you a black ebonite section should you prefer, but the ripple's markings are so similar to the contours of the wood that I think it was a very prudent - and successful - choice.

closer, yes, but thankfully my credit card will not allow such a purchase at the moment :)

Thanks! it was not clear to me if it was Hakase's choice of section material or you chose it, if you chose it, then no question, it is the best since you like it. :)

Best

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks! it was not clear to me if it was Hakase's choice of section material or you chose it, if you chose it, then no question, it is the best since you like it. :)

Best

Hari

I didn't choose it - not sure it came across in the review, but I expected the section to be wood. That said, I think it looks fabulous with the wood-grain ebonite and, given the choice, I would specify it again.

I didn't choose it - not sure it came across in the review, but I expected the section to be wood. That said, I think it looks fabulous with the wood-grain ebonite and, given the choice, I would specify it again.

From a pen-making POV, I wouldn't be keen on making a nib section out of wood. It is quite possible to do so, but wood is porous and absorbant, so even if sealed etc, there is risk of staining and even swelling/splitting with exposure to ink. Hakase's choice of nib section material is perfect and practical.

Ken

Thanks for the excellent review.

Two questions:

- How onerous was the process of communicating with Hakase? Was it in Japanese or English?

- How long did it take between ordering the pen and receiving it?

yes. :) it is very nicely done and even the lip is polished, wonderful!

I am curious, Is the barrel also ebonite with the wood being just an overlay over the barrel? Are there any metallic bits inside the section or barrel that will not allow the ink to be dropped directly into the barrel?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

From a pen-making POV, I wouldn't be keen on making a nib section out of wood. It is quite possible to do so, but wood is porous and absorbant, so even if sealed etc, there is risk of staining and even swelling/splitting with exposure to ink. Hakase's choice of nib section material is perfect and practical.

Ken

I agree and I think I said so in the review. Ebonite is such a tactile material as well...

Thanks for the excellent review.

Two questions:

- How onerous was the process of communicating with Hakase? Was it in Japanese or English?

- How long did it take between ordering the pen and receiving it?

You're welcome! In answer to your questions:

1 - English. Keep it simple, use google translate, expect some interesting correspondence.

2 - Took about seven or eight months

The story of my dealing can be found in I Just Ordered a Hakase over at the Japan sub-forum.

yes. :) it is very nicely done and even the lip is polished, wonderful!

I am curious, Is the barrel also ebonite with the wood being just an overlay over the barrel? Are there any metallic bits inside the section or barrel that will not allow the ink to be dropped directly into the barrel?

I don't think it's ebonite, but I've changed my mind some. At first I thought it was a wooden shell atop an ebonite frame, but now I think the cap and barrel are both turned wood. The difference in the look of the wood (the inner part looks much more like ebonite) is probably down to the work done to it...

And Hari - when are you going to stop trying to turn everything into an eyedropper? :P

I don't think it's ebonite, but I've changed my mind some. At first I thought it was a wooden shell atop an ebonite frame, but now I think the cap and barrel are both turned wood. The difference in the look of the wood (the inner part looks much more like ebonite) is probably down to the work done to it...

And Hari - when are you going to stop trying to turn everything into an eyedropper? :P

Thanks! I am always looking for information :) I might never drop ink directly, but better to know if there is a possibility.

enjoy your new love!

I relooked the wonderful pictures posted by you. the threads for the cap made on the barrel and a part of the barrel just below the threads is certainly the same material as the section.

Best

Hari

Nice pens, nice pictures and nice review. Thanks for the write up. Interesting to see a small clip on the buffalo horn torpedo.

I relooked the wonderful pictures posted by you. the threads for the cap made on the barrel and a part of the barrel just below the threads is certainly the same material as the section.

Best

Hari

Hari - I'm not so sure. They look very similar in the photographs, but they don't feel like ebonite. There is also no visible join. That is why I believe only the section is ebonite.

Nice pens, nice pictures and nice review. Thanks for the write up. Interesting to see a small clip on the buffalo horn torpedo.

Thank you! Yes, the clip is beguiling! Edited by mongrelnomad

The story of my dealing can be found in I Just Ordered a Hakase over at the Japan sub-forum.

A really interesting story.

I'm headed to Japan sometime this year (or so I think), will look to go to Tottori to check out Hakase pens first hand. Thanks for stimulating my interest in these pens. (But no-thanks for the damage it will do to my wallet!)

Edited by Simius

Great review and an interesting read!

I have often considered ordering a Hakase pen but have abandoned the thought since the waiting period was more than a year long. Now it has shortened to a manageable one year or so, maybe it's time to take the plunge.

A really interesting story.

I'm headed to Japan sometime this year (or so I think), will look to go to Tottori to check out Hakase pens first hand. Thanks for stimulating my interest in these pens. (But no-thanks for the damage it will do to my wallet!)

Thanks - funny how I was so worried, and yet these (expensive and intimidating) purchases turned out to be the ones I least regret.

I've been to Japan at least a dozen times (my grandmother is Japanese and my mother spent her childhood in Tokyo) but have never been to Tottori. It pretty much defines "middle of nowhere", at least without leaving Honshu - the main island.

Great review and an interesting read!

I have often considered ordering a Hakase pen but have abandoned the thought since the waiting period was more than a year long. Now it has shortened to a manageable one year or so, maybe it's time to take the plunge.

The anticipation is half the fun. If anything, the (relatively) quick turnaround for this last pen was meant that wait was too short!!!

Edited by mongrelnomad

• 2 weeks later...

oh Lord. my heart almost stopped. utterly gorgeous. time to save for this.

just beautiful :thumbup:

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

Mongrelnomad- thanks for a wonderful review of your extraordinary Hakase pen.

Well, if I didnt have to spend every penny that I own into payments for this damn cancer thing and its aftereffects, I would be ordering a Hakase right now!!!!!:):)