The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Bottled Ink Like Pentel Energel For Foutain Pens

ink black fountain pen noodlers aurora j herban bad black moccasin x feather pentel energel lamy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WARRZONE

WARRZONE

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:25

I am looking for a bottled ink for fountain pens that is close in color and qualities to Pentel EnerGel black. I know those pens use a gel hybrid ink, so I am looking for something close. They are my favorite ballpoints, maybe tied with V5 Precise RT. I will be using the ink in a Lamy Al-Star EF. I have Noodler's Bad Black Moccasin, but there is no sheen, and it has a wierd green tone to it. I want pure black. I do not want India ink or carbon or pigmented inks.

So which ink is closest to what I am looking for? Pure black is a must (no color undertones, not even gray), some sheen would be a bonus. I do not see anything in Noodler's line like that except maybe X-Feather, which I have had no experience with. I believe Bad Black Moccasin and X Feather are supposed to be the darkest Noodler's inks, despite HoD, so I would venture to guess that Noodler's is out. I have not tried Infinite Black by PR. I have heard good things, but not necessarily about its color. Does anyone have experience with Aurora Black or J Herban Perle Noire? Do they have these wanted qualities? Do you have any other ink suggestions?

Thanks ahead for the input.

Sponsored Content

#2 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2013 - 18:25

Very sorry but I do not use black ink so can't help you with ink choice.  You have posted this in the Paper and Pen Paraphernalia forum; you may well get some answers here but if I were you, I would repost this in the Inky Thoughts forum where the ink experts hang out!  (Or you could ask a moderator to move the thread for you....)  if you can make and post a calibrated scan of the Pentel EnerGel black ink that you like, this might also help folks to determine what fountain pen ink might be closest in color.  

It is good that you are not interested in India Ink - most inks so labeled are not made for use in a fountain pens and have such things as shellac  and soot in them, not a good thing for a fountain pen's feed and fill system!  Great for dip pens, but not for fountain pens.

You can also check the Ink Reviews forum for reviews of the black inks you mentioned by name to see if any of them have the behavior/exact black color for which you are looking.

Holly

#3 WARRZONE

WARRZONE

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:01

Yes, if a mod sees this post, (s)he can move it over to Inky Thoughts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, black, fountain pen, noodlers, aurora, j herban, bad black moccasin, x feather, pentel energel, lamy

Sponsored Content

|