Need Ink Advice !

dave-

Looking for a blue ink with a purple tint and a black ink with gold tint. Also needs to be non waterproof to make it easy to clean. Any ideas of nice inks that fit ?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dave-

• brunico

• fourseamer

• K. Cakes

How dark, as a matter of interest? For example, in my opinion, Cult Pens/Diamine Deep Dark Blue is a really dark blue with a hint of purple in there somewhere. Diamine Sapphire Blue and Imperial Blue are mid blues with purple undertones (as opposed to greens).

Give us a few more hints, if you would.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Blue ink with a purple hint, not waterproof? Of course, though some are more saturated than others, perhaps have less violet component, are to your eyes darker or lighter, and so on! Try some of the following, or, still better, first check their reviews here in the Ink Reviews forum, then you can refine your thoughts:

Private Reserve´s TANZANITE

Diamine´s BILBERRY

J. Herbin´s 1670 BLEU

Sailor´s NIOI-SUMIRE

S.T. Dupont´s BLEU ROYAL

Sorry, I do not know any black-and-golden ink.

plumista

Ok I found a photo of the color of my dreams but there was no ink name given with the picture and people were trying to guess what it is.

To me it looks like a medium / dark-medium blue with some purple but I could be wrong, I have only just got my first good pen ( Lamy 2000 with medium nib ) and I dont really know what I am talking about yet but it does look like a blue with purple mixed with it but dominant blue still. Or it could be a purple with alot of blue, I dont know for sure to be honest., maybe it has no purple at all lol and I am barking up the wrong tree....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3802/9290590961_7b43486c83_b.jpg

Ok I found a photo of the color of my dreams but there was no ink name given with the picture and people were trying to guess what it is.

To me it looks like a medium / dark-medium blue with some purple but I could be wrong, I have only just got my first good pen ( Lamy 2000 with medium nib ) and I dont really know what I am talking about yet but it does look like a blue with purple mixed with it but dominant blue still. Or it could be a purple with alot of blue, I dont know for sure to be honest., maybe it has no purple at all lol and I am barking up the wrong tree....

It looks like Diamine's Sargasso Sea or Private Reserve Electric DC Blue minus the sheen.

By black with gold tint, do you mean gold sheen? Or a black with warm undertones? If you're looking for sheen try Private Reserve Velvet Black or Aurora Black.

Edited by K. Cakes

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

It looks like Diamine's Sargasso Sea or Private Reserve Electric DC Blue minus the sheen.

By black with gold tint, do you mean gold sheen? Or a black with warm undertones? If you're looking for sheen try Private Reserve Velvet Black or Aurora Black.

I like the Sargasso Sea and Velvet black. I will try to find some here in the Uk. Where does everyone get their inks here ? I found a place that sells them but no free delivery and prices seem like the non discount at all type.

J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir might work for you. I've not tried it though. Diamine Sapphire Blue has a fair amount of water resistance, and so, it may not wash out of things as easily. Has not stained or profaned any of my pens, however. It's an excellent ink. Finally, Aurora Blue has a reputation for a vivid, purplish-blue color.

It was already mentioned, but Diamine Bilberry is really a very nice color, albeit one that is heavy on the purple. It's also well behaved and has sheen.

I heard Diamine Onyx Black has greenish sheen, but apparently it sometimes stains things red. I don't own this particular ink, though.

Edited by MKIM97

You should try Diamine Imperial Blue.

It is more on the blue side, but when the lighting is right...it reveals a purplish colour!

Wonderful ink, the purple-ish colour shows more on thicker nibs...

by the way I just noticed there is another Mkim above me... LOL (An Young Ha Sea Yo from Canada!)

It was already mentioned, but Diamine Bilberry is really a very nice color, albeit one that is heavy on the purple. It's also well behaved and has sheen.

I heard Diamine Onyx Black has greenish sheen, but apparently it sometimes stains things red. I don't own this particular ink, though.

Thanks for all the replies, after looking more at color samples and reviews I decided to get diamine majestic blue and diamine kennsington. Not very purple I know but I do like them alot and they kind of grew on me, especially the majestic blue

You can always look at Richard Binder's "Blurple". A mix of 1:1 Waterman's Florida Blue and Waterman's Purple. The Waterman names have changed, but the inks will perform the same.

Here is one discussion I found and a mention of some other inks.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/116464-making-richard-binders-burple/?hl=%2Brichard+%2Bbinder

The Waterman mix is nice because you can adjust from the 1:1 and Waterman is one of, if not the best performing, consistent inks. If you get all 8 Waterman inks you can mix to your heart's content and not mess your $.01 or million dollar pen.

---Note Richard calls the color Blurple, we often accidently call it burple.

Edited by SallyLyn

Diamine Imperial Blue is more than just a hint of purple for me...but might be just what you're looking for.

Given the colour and the snippet of a word that you've provided there, have you considered that perhaps your dream ink is D'Atramentis Sherlock Holmes? I tried a sample of that colour a while ago and my memory has it a tad darker than this photo, but it might be worth looking into.

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

Given the colour and the snippet of a word that you've provided there, have you considered that perhaps your dream ink is D'Atramentis Sherlock Holmes? I tried a sample of that colour a while ago and my memory has it a tad darker than this photo, but it might be worth looking into.

Yes I think you are correct, its just the light, paper and maybe overuse of auto functions on a camera have made it look like that. After looking at many samples of it I think that the picture is not a great reflection of the true color.

De Atramentis Royal Blue is nice well lubricated darker blue with a tinge towards purple...the Royal in blue.

Don't know if it's also Sherlock Homes.

They name the inks for local folks too.

Royal Blue in Heidelberg is Liselotta von der Plalz...my wife's favorite woman.

A Duchess married to the brother of Louie 14..had much bad to stay about the un-bathed, ill mannered French which burnt down her Dukedom in an inheritance fight. She'd said the bad things before they ruined her 'country'.

Very intelligent woman.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I agree with suggestions above - but I'd add Akkerman inks.

Either Akkerman or Shocking Blue (which has the gold hue).

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/Akkerman1.png

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2013-07-07_Davis_600-005.jpg

Here is S.T. D

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2013-07-07_Davis_600-001.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY