Conid Bulk Filler Streamline Demonstrator By Fountainbel

Jebus

A couple of months ago I have decided to go after an item I would really like to possess: a CONID bulk filler designed by forum member Fountainbel. I regret that I was way too late for the demonstrator version of the flat top Bulk filler. In my opinion a innovative system like this just screams for the transparency of a demonstrator.

Obviously I was very amused that in the beginning of May CONID decided to actually start the production of a limited series of streamlined demonstrators. I immediately signed up to one of the 60 pens to avoid making the same mistake…

Because of the fact I had not made a decision for the nib, I have asked whether it was possible to “testwrite” some different nibs. We agreed upon a date to visit the production facility (Komec Helsen) of the Bulk filler in Antwerp, Belgium. Meeting was set with Werner Helsen and Francis Goossens (aka Fountainbel).

At that point I was assuming I could test the different nibs in order to make a final decision. I would also like to see the difference between the streamline and sleek version with my own eyes. No decision-making for that amount of money based on a technical drawing.

I was very pleased with the opportunity to actually get these things done. The communication with Werner and Francis was excellent.

Although a little surprised by the e-mail I received the morning of the factory visit: Bulk fillers were ready to be picked up… I was not aware that I could really take the pen home already that specific day. Quite a big surprise.

The beginning of the meeting was nib testing. I had the opportunity to test all different materials in the available sizes. This to me was very important because this is actually my first fountainpen in this price range so I just wanted to be sure about the nib.

In the meantime other pen lovers arrived to pick up their pen. Also Fountainbel himself joined us for explanation, background stories about material choices and production facts and of course demonstrations of disassembling the pen. A nice pen case filled with prototypes was his companion.

Based on the drawings of the pen I was a little disappointed with the use of ebonite on both ends. The original prototype was covered in titanium but was tested as being too top heavy, especially when posted. The use of the black ebonite gives the pen a different look, but it remains great in its own simplicity. Actually I get to hold the original prototype and it do was heavy. Too heavy to write in a comfortable way.

That’s one thing I especially like about the Bulk filler. It is a technical masterpiece with every single detail well thought of and tested thoroughly. If there’s something that should need improvement, the design is changed. In my opinion this “story” behind the pen adds a lot of sentimental value to it.

The pen is presented in a modest box. Nothing to add value but the correct box for a pen built with the technical aspect in mind instead of the well known marketing approach.

post-83756-0-28189900-1373797457_thumb.jpg

Inside the box there’s a label to prove authenticity of the numbered first production run. This number and text is also engraved in the titanium ring at the end of the Bulk filler.

post-83756-0-92632000-1373797463_thumb.jpg

Included there is a cleaning cloth, some tools to disassemble the pen for thorough cleaning (or fun) and a very detailed information sheet with the technical drawings and the way to get the Bulk filler inked.

post-83756-0-31746300-1373797471_thumb.jpg

post-83756-0-62696100-1373797477_thumb.jpg

Although I was very amused by the performance of the steel nib I immediately fell in love with the broad titanium nib. Because this nib was added to the available range at the very last moment it has the original Bock design instead of the CONID lines we see in the other nibs. The titanium nib just looks great on this pen and writes just the way I like it. Perfect.

The fact the whole pen is disassembled very easy is just wonderful. There’s no glue involved and everything screws nice with the use of (double) o-rings. Very quick to take apart with the tools included and therefor easy to clean. Most certainly an advantage over a piston filler if you want to use different colors of ink.

CONID also modified the feed to improve ink flow. Although when the pen runs dry you can “supply” a little air to restart the flow. But after the writing I have done so far I did not have to do so.

post-83756-0-17947900-1373797485_thumb.jpg

At this moment I am still experiencing the in and outs of this technical masterpiece. But with my limited experience I can surely say this is one of the best pens I have ever used. And you know what’s best? It’s mine…

post-83756-0-95435500-1373807197_thumb.jpg

Proud owner of the 12/60 First Production Run Demonstrator CONID Bulk filler streamline

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jebus

• fountainbel

• hari317

• penmanila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really, I wish I could hand pick the pen like you have done and meet Francis. Thanks for the heartfelt review.

Regards

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Another proud owner of a Fountainbel pen. I have one of the original (no 5) demonstrator Bulkfillers, flat top version. It hasn't been out of my weekly rotation since I acquired it.

I really appreciated your honest review of that fabulous streamline version Jebus :puddle:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Pavoni.

Thanks for a great review. I have no.18 of the flat-top FPR demonstrators, and it continues to be wonderful pen.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Great review. My demonstrator is in the mail on its way to me, and after reading your review, I can hardly wait!

Great review. My demonstrator is in the mail on its way to me, and after reading your review, I can hardly wait!

I am looking forward to your experience with the Bulk filler. I hope you will share it as well.

What nib did you choose?

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

I generally use a fine point or med/fine. Unlike most posters on FPN, I don't like a lot of flex, which led me to not get the titanium nib. I chose the 18K gold with rhodium plating to match the pen. Without a chance to sample the nibs, as you were lucky enough to do, I went with what I am familiar with. From what I have read from others, it's sure to be a great writer.

How do I go about ordering it? How much was it? Will it be part of the regular production run from conid?

Nice review by the way.

Bio

How do I go about ordering it? How much was it? Will it be part of the regular production run from conid?

Nice review by the way.

Bio

I have sent a pm to Francis (user Fountainbel on the forum) about his forumtopic on the prototype a couple of months ago.

At that moment it was not sure it would ever go into production. Starting at a certain level of reservations Conid decided to make a limited series of demonstrators (60 pens).

I don't know what they are planning to do with the regular production but I'm pretty sure Foutainbel or Werner of Conid can sort these things out.

I don't know whether I can mention prices on this board but I will send you a pm with both the price and the mail address of Werner.

I am sure you will not regret it.

Edited by Jebus

I have sent a pm to Francis (user Fountainbel on the forum) about his forumtopic on the prototype a couple of months ago.

At that moment it was not sure it would ever go into production. Starting at a certain level of reservations Conid decided to make a limited series of demonstrators (60 pens).

I don't know what they are planning to do with the regular production but I'm pretty sure Foutainbel or Werner of Conid can sort these things out.

I don't know whether I can mention prices on this board but I will send you a pm with both the price and the mail address of Werner.

I am sure you will not regret it.

Thank for the information .

Hi Jebus,

Glad to read you are happy with your new Bulk filler demonstrator !

Thanks a lot for your review!

Francis

it is avery nice and technically well built and well engineered pen, congrats and happy writing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 3 weeks later...

I have #5 of the new streamline version and I love it. I had them grind a m/f titanium nib and it writes beautifully. I just placed an order for some more SS and titanium nibs to try out. I will be selling my 149's shortly this pen is far superior.

Hari,

Appreciate you are a long way from Belgium but should you ever wish to get to the factory and pick your own pen Francis is very approachable on this subject. I do not yet own a bulk filler but the dealings I have had via messages to and from Francis regarding his pens have always been both very informative and very helpful.

Ian

Really, I wish I could hand pick the pen like you have done and meet Francis. Thanks for the heartfelt review.

Regards

Hari

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Hari,

Appreciate you are a long way from Belgium but should you ever wish to get to the factory and pick your own pen Francis is very approachable on this subject. I do not yet own a bulk filler but the dealings I have had via messages to and from Francis regarding his pens have always been both very informative and very helpful.

Ian

I have had the same experience with Francis as well as with Werner from Conid. Quick and very well explained answers to questions via e-mail and always willing to arrange a meeting.

Definately worth a visit.

Jebus ,

Good to hear you are satisfied with your Conid pen.

In my collection , I usually have 2 -3 pens in rotation in daily writing.

Lately I found myself just writing with only one pen , the Conid bulk filler with F Titanium nib ( the new flexible one)

Thanks again to Francis to develop this great product

Jebus,

Thanks for this great review!

Hope to see you agiain on the Conid Pen Show September 21, we will show the latest designs from Fountainbel

When you do like to come please sent me an email for reservation : werner@conid.be

Take care,

Werner