Rotring 600 Visual Guide

JPS_Rotring

Cool topic, I only ever had a Rotring mechanical pencil which of course I lost... The fountain pens are gorgeous.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JPS_Rotring

• 9tailsfox

• The Blue Knight

• ruben50

I like to pretend the later one doesn't exist at all. But joking aside, I would call the cheaper one Parker Facet, Sanford Newton or something to that effect. It is not a Rotring but a product made by Sanford where they slapped the Rotring name on it.

That's what annoys me about modern Parker's they are simply Waternans with an arrow stuck on them as they have been made in the Waterman factory since.Sanford shut down Newhaven in 2008.

Yo

That's what annoys me about modern Parker's they are simply Waternans with an arrow stuck on them as they have been made in the Waterman factory since.Sanford shut down Newhaven in 2008.

That is what angers me the most. The bought Rotring, took everything that was great and simply threw it away. They are not the Rotring I used to love anymore.

Last month they closed the last remaining office in Germany. Nothing is coming out of Germany anymore. Support is non existent. Look at theire Facebook-Page where people receive absolutely no support at all, even for harmless questions like how often they have to clean the pen. The quality is going downhill at a rapid pace.

Even what was once a staple of Rotring, the Isograph and Rapidograph are starting to get produced cheaper and cheaper, replacing metal with soft plastic wherever possible. Prices for old pens on E-Bay and elsewhere skyrocket while people try to get the old Rapidographs. Over 5 Months ago I wrote them a letter, E-Mail and Facebook asking for replacement erasers for my 800 and what is with the 2mm Version of the 800 that is advertised but not sold. I have received a response only last months telling me in english (I wrote a german letter to a "german" company) and I quote:

Thank your for your interest. The rOtring 800 in 2mm pens are available in Japan only.

That the state Rotring is in right now.

Edited by JPS_Rotring

Yo

That is what angers me the most. The bought Rotring, took everything that was great and simply threw it away. They are not the Rotring I used to love anymore.

Last month they closed the last remaining office in Germany. Nothing is coming out of Germany anymore. Support is non existent. Look at theire Facebook-Page where people receive absolutely no support at all, even for harmless questions like how often they have to clean the pen. The quality is going downhill at a rapid pace.

Even what was once a staple of Rotring, the Isograph and Rapidograph are starting to get produced cheaper and cheaper, replacing metal with soft plastic wherever possible. Prices for old pens on E-Bay and elsewhere skyrocket while people try to get the old Rapidographs. Over 5 Months ago I wrote them a letter, E-Mail and Facebook asking for replacement erasers for my 800 and what is with the 2mm Version of the 800 that is advertised but not sold. I have received a response only last months telling me in english (I wrote a german letter to a "german" company) and I quote:

I've always thought it would have made so much sense if rotring and Lamy were to merge together as there product ranges would fit so well together and perhaps the mess that has happened since the mid nineteens would have never happened and the 600 would still being made in Germany.

I've always thought it would have made so much sense if rotring and Lamy were to merge together as there product ranges would fit so well together and perhaps the mess that has happened since the mid nineteens would have never happened and the 600 would still being made in Germany.

That would be great. Lamy is a really great company, I love their pens and own quite a few. If have never met a company with such a great customer service and support like them. They are friendly, act fast and always try to help you as much as they can. I had a Lamy Dialog I ruined by dropping it in the gears of a cart. One mail later I get a call from a very friendly lady telling me that is no problem, just send it in, we will replace it. They even cut my a special price for the "replacement parts" and just send me a new one. That is how you tread your customers. And thats how I've become a Rotring AND Lamy collector.

Yo

Regarding the 800 lead holder they are available on amazon in the UK for about £60 a bit on pricey I have to admit however they are avaliable.

Black

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rotring-Holder-Clutch-Knock-System/dp/B001L1QV9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378037869&sr=8-1&keywords=rotring+800+2mm

Silver

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rotring-Holder-Clutch-Knock-System/dp/B001L1QV9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378038121&sr=8-1&keywords=rotring+800+2mm

I think they are sent from Japan.

Hi, I'm newbie to rotring 600. But I would like to know rotring 600 trio UBA as shown in the picture. Is that a limited or printed for Airline company? as I saw Levenger trio but this UBA is a rare piece. can anyone here explain. Thanks

post-105674-0-59555800-1378210318.jpg

Its neither. Rotrings main target audience around that time was business customers looking for company give-aways printed with theire company logo. So most of those pens, yes even Trios and Fountain Pens were given away by companys as gifts. Like that trio you've got there, but its not for an Airline but for a company called "LIBA" http://www.liba.de that specializes in fabric production. Later on Rotring started to print Rotring 600 on it mainly to show people what the printing will look like. Levenger simply bought Rotrings and asked Rotring to put the Levenger logo on it.

A wonderful guide to one of my most favorite pens - the Rotring 600. I have two FP's and one ballpoint and love them all.

Thanks for doing such a professional presentation.

Cheers,

John

A wonderful guide to one of my most favorite pens - the Rotring 600. I have two FP's and one ballpoint and love them all.

Thanks for doing such a professional presentation.

Cheers,

John

Agree. They definitely are cult pen

Edited by 9tailsfox

Hi I would wondering that most I saw the very 1st generation old style Mech Pencil and they come with the paper box will as shown in picture 1 grey and white colors. But can some 1 tell me the paper box in the second picture determine the Mech pencil is 1st generation or later 2nd generation even 3rd generation. thanks

post-105674-0-20596100-1378488055_thumb.jpg

post-105674-0-57818100-1378488082.jpg

Edited by 9tailsfox

The box shown in the first picture can't be the first version, because germanys postal codes changed 1993 and the one shown is the new one after 1993. The second carton shows the "Grüner Punkt" (Recycling logo) http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%BCner_Punkt which was introduced only in 1991, so that can't be the first version either. As for the pens itself, the top one is a newer versions, the older versions mechanism is complete brass. Heres some more information about that: http://dmpencils.blogspot.de/2012/09/rotring-600g-vs-800.html

The box shown in the first picture can't be the first version, because germanys postal codes changed 1993 and the one shown is the new one after 1993. The second carton shows the "Grüner Punkt" (Recycling logo) http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%BCner_Punkt which was introduced only in 1991, so that can't be the first version either. As for the pens itself, the top one is a newer versions, the older versions mechanism is complete brass. Heres some more information about that: http://dmpencils.blogspot.de/2012/09/rotring-600g-vs-800.html

hi, but this is a rotring 600 not rotring 600G. But how do you know the 1st version box postal codes? I always thought the top picture is the 1st version box. So meaning the second picture is the older while top picture is newer. But I think their Mech pencil almost identical same only the packaging is different. So do you have the first package box picture how it looks like? thanks

I think I finally found out the 1st gen box post code D-2000 Hamburg 54 West Germany :-). thanks

But I got another question is the about Rotring 600 trio 1st generation. Which one of them the very 1st release. I know both of them were 1st gen. Thanks

post-105674-0-24132000-1378642601_thumb.jpg

post-105674-0-12196200-1378642883_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9tailsfox

I've taken a quick picture with my cellphone, will take better pictures later. This is a first gen box:

http://i.imgur.com/l0idXp0.jpg

The top black Trio is a misprint I think. The letters are a two-step process, first color and then clear coat, it looks like yours only has the clear coating.

Hey thanks for the picture. Now I know what it looks like. But this box is for which rotring? back to my question I saw the picture posted from other forum. That's why I wonder it couldn't be a defect or misprint. I guess Maybe Rotring put the wrong color for the mark as suppose the Black color to show the pencil color but at the same time the background color is black too. So that is a bad match, I think later they quickly change to red like the silver rotring trio as the Black mark seems longer than the origin Black mark. Now you see the rotring red circle position. The earlier red ring is made of plastic then later to rubber. So correct me if I'm wrong. thanks

post-105674-0-29606600-1378651333.jpg

post-105674-0-81694000-1378651829_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9tailsfox

The box was of a Rotring 600 Mechanical Pencil and Ballpoint, was used until they phased out the 0,35 and replaced it with the 0,3. I'm not that knowledgeable in the Trio variants, but judging from the changed clip tooling I would tend to say the right one is of the first series, the two other are just different production runs, with different plastics used they looked the same when initially sold, but changed theire color when exposed to UV light of longer periods.

Having got board of Staedtler Mars Micro 775's. I'm thinking of ordering a pair of new Japan 600 would you recommend these or not the pair would cost about £40.

Yo

Yeah that's pretty sad as the new rotring is like an ordinary pen with a legendary name on it. Nothing more just like a dead pen no soul. If the Sanford Company like the Rolex Watch Company brought over Oyster Watch Company and make their own and improve it and this would be great. But unfortunately they are just like a big trading house sell lots of brands. Just business and trade....No passion, no soul in making pen

Edited by 9tailsfox

Oh yeah just a curious question. The Red Ring (Rotring) on this pen is made of plastic or rubber? Some say is the Red Ring is paint on. Can someone can confirm that? thanks

post-105674-0-96260500-1379301804.jpg