Calling All Edison Steel Nib Users!

Jadie

Hello, Edison pen users! (Or Edison nib users, if you're into Frankenpens---for the purpose of my question, it works just as well.) I think we've all read about Brian Gray's standard steel nib offerings---a nib with a "7/10" flow, wet-writing with a "touch of feedback".

So, I've been reading reviews of this "7/10 flow/wetness" nib. Some find it suitably smooth and wet, others consider the feedback a bit distracting.

I'm on the verge of getting an Edison myself (extended Mina, with either a F or italic nib), but I've never had any experience with Edison nibs. What is this 7/10 nib like in comparison to other nibs? I'd like your feedback so I can decide whether I should ask for adjustments in flow before I place my order.

I know it's better to try the nib out first, and switch it later if I don't like it-----or send one of my pens directly to Brian so he can make a nib to match, but I thought I'd try to save some time/money this way. ^__^

Here are my personal experiences:

1) I have a Visconti Rembrandt with an M nib that, to me, epitomizes the ultimate writing experience---not too smooth to be slippery, but with enough "resistance" to make me aware of the paper. And it's quiet. Very quiet. I love it to pieces. (I suspect the weight of the pen counterbalances the smoothness/slippery quality of the nib, but whatever the case, it writes like a dream.)

2) I've tried a friend's Lamy 2000 with a M nib---equally quiet nib, but WAY too slippery and wet for me. Writing with it was like cruising through buttercream (fun!), but the lack of control annoyed me after the first few minutes.

3) I don't like "noisy pens". My MB (M nib), for example, has wonderful flow but you can always "hear" it against the paper when it writes (unless I use lubricating inks). This is, of course, comparing it with the Visconti on the same paper with the same inks.

Also, is there any notable difference between Edison's regular steel and two-toned steel nibs (besides the appearances, of course)?

Thanks!

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jadie

• JGT

• betsypreston

• alc3261

I have an Edison Beaumont. I originally bought a fine nib that wrote close to Broad because it was so wet,9/10. I ordered an EF that also was too wet. I pinched the tines and now have it writing decently if not a bit too feedbacky. Problem is I really like the pen itself and I'm loathe to send it back.

Edited by Edwaroth

Huh. I have a Mina which came tuned by default - so 7/10. I find it to be a touch too dry. It is on the verge of being skippy. Skippy is my number one pen pet peeve. The Mina is mostly okay, but I do wish it was a touch wetter.

When I ordered my Pearl, I asked for it to be 8/10. It is perfect. I believe both are M.

I got a Rembrandt about two months ago, and agree that it is a very good nib. It's wet enough for me, but not too wet. I find my Pearl M 8/10 to be in the same ballpark.

EDIT: I inked my Pearl today. There is quite a bit more feedback with my Edison steel nib than there is with my Visconti Rembrandt. I still love my Edison Pearl nib - the feedback doesn't ruin the experience by any means. But if you're concerned about feedback - there does seem to be more of it. No idea if that's something you could smooth out or if that's just what you get.

EDIT2: I would say that the FLOW is similar between my Edison Pearl 8/10 and my Visconti Rembrandt.

Edited by betsypreston

Hello Jadie; I'm the very proud owner of an Edison Herald, dark tortoise celluloid with 2 of Brian's two tone steel nibs. A .6mm cursive italic and a 1.1mm, italic. The cursive flows at a 6 the 1.1 is a wetter nib and a much smoother writer. Love em both, but my favorite is the 1.1mm italic. In my experience, Brian's steel nibs are second to none. He will adjust the flow to suit you, if you call him, he'll answer your call and answer your questions himself. He will give you the right advice. I can vouch for that, he has for me. You will be pleased with his pens and his nibs. I recommend him!

God Bless

JGT

I find that my Edison nibs are all good writers, I have 9 now with nibs from EF to 1.1 italic in both regular and two tone steel. I have found them to be a good compromise in flow vs feathering on poor paper I would call them 7 out of 10, and the only one I have that "sings" is a early .6mm crisp italic that writes well but has a bit more feedback than the standard JoWo nibs on the others. I have not noticed any performance difference in the std vs two tone and as they are the same nibs that is not surprising.

I use the pens with a range of inks from Noodlers, Pilot (Iroshizuku), Diamine and Scribal Workshop and have not experienced any skipping or other bad habits. In fact the only Edison pen that gave me any trouble was a '76 bulb filler I purchased used that was if any thing too wet and would occasionally drip on the paper. I heat set the feed to be a bit tighter against the nib and it has behaved well since even though it is a bit wet for copy paper this one is what I would call a 8 out of 10.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

I have an Edison Beaumont. I originally bought a fine nib that wrote close to Broad because it was so wet,9/10. I rodered an EF that also was too wet. I pinched the tines and now have it writing decently if not a bit too feedbacky. Problem is I really like the pen itself and I'm loathe to send it back.

Maybe we've already communicated over email, but I never know someone's real name vs someone's online handle.

If you are unhappy with your nib, please reach out...we'll make it right. Thanks!

You see?? :) This is just one reason I recommended him! Customer service. His nibs, his pens and his customer service are second to none, and I'm unaffiliated with him and Edison Pens other than being a very satisfied customer.

God Bless;

JGT

I have an Edison medium and a 1.1 stub. Both write wet but not overly so. I have a Lamy 2000 M that writes very wet and I like that as well. I also have a Rembrandt and it's flow is similar to the Edisons. Main difference with the the 3 pens is that the Edison's have a touch of flex when writing and the same holds true for the Lamy 2000. The Rembrandt on the other hand has no give, it is a nail. It is the stiffest nib I own. Hope this helps.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Thanks for all the replies!

Reading through, it looks like I'll try for an 8/10 flowing nib. I don't mind things being a little wetter....it's the dry nibs that drive me crazy. (I suppose getting a F nib will counterbalance that wetter = wider line issue too.)

Still debating between italic vs. fine. The issue I have with italic nibs is that I like them small and cursive-y (think 0.7mm), and they never seem to show my shading inks well. I currently have a Pilot Plumix (cheap but good!) and a Sheaffer Delta with CI nib, both of which write very well but never show shading...anyways, that's for another topic, so I'll talk about it another time.

I'm also glad to see that there are other users out there who love their Rembrandts too! Ravantra, I'm surprised that your Rembrandt is so stiff. Mine isn't flexible, but it does have a bit of spring to it when I press hard enough.

All in all, it looks like I'm well on my way to my first Edison. Thanks a bunch!

I'll be reviewing the pen when I get it. It's a rather special order, so I'm sure you guys will be pleasantly surprised. ^___^

I'm looking forward to your review. There are so many materials to pick from, and since he can customize the pens it's always exciting to see what someone put together.

Enjoy!

I'm looking forward to your review. There are so many materials to pick from, and since he can customize the pens it's always exciting to see what someone put together.

Enjoy!

Mmm, this one's going to be made out of ebonite....plus urushi...plus some other things. ^___^

Hi alc3261! I'm assuming you're talking about standard Edisons (7/10 flow), with no customized adjustments?

Get both nibs. Edison #5 steel nibs are only $20 and a custom nib is only $40 more. If you are getting an ebonite pen with urushi you should get what you really want, both nibs. Interchangeable nibs are a big plus when ordering an Edison pen, allowing you to get more use out of the pen and swap out nibs to match your mood or a particular need. The nibs screw out like Levenger, Esterbrook and Pelikan nibs. No matter what nib you decide on I'm sure you'll be very happy you ordered your Edison pen. I just got a Mina with two nibs, a 1.1 custom stub steel nib and an extra fine steel nib. I wanted a Mina for a few years and I'm very happy with my purchase. The Mina is my second Edison pen and I'm already thinking about what my next one will be.

• 1 year later...

I only have six pens, but my Edison Pearlette is probably my quietest writer. My Kaweco ALSport, Lamy AL Star, and Pelikan Pelikano are probably the next most expensive (in that order) and all are noiser than the Edison (the others are much cheaper and I expected them to not to write as well).

Skippy is my biggest pet peeve too. I don't know about 7/10 or what it means but my Edison M is very wet and flows well.

I'm actually looking to get an F or EF for writing smaller for meeting notes and such. I'll be curious to see how wet they write.

Edited by Inner Prop

My Pens in chronological order:

Baoer 388 - Black - M nib

Lamy AL-Star - Blue - F nib

Kaweco AL Sport - Raw aluminium - M nib

My three inked up at the moment:

Edison Collier with the biggest size italic nib, wet and very, very smooth. Instantly rated among my top ten writers.

Edison Collier, broad: wet, writes easily and smoothly.

Edison Hudson, fine: wettish, and gives a certain amount of feedback, but doesn't scratch or pick up paper fibres, doesn't skip. (I have a fine nib Herald, too, and it's pretty similar, but not inked at the moment.)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I have an Edison Menlo with a 1.5 italic nib. It's a very cool pen. I got it at last year's Chicago pen show. I want a Beaumont. If I can get to a pen show, I'd like to try the 1.1mm nib to see how it does. I'm not sure how much I like Lamy's 1.1mm.

Edison pens have so many beautiful materials. It's hard to pick one. But right now I really like molten ores and stained glass.

Good luck with yours.

Posted Image