Platignum Studio Review

The Blue Knight

Platignum Studio Review

Finish; Lime green

For other colors see http://www.platignum.com/pick-your-pen/studio-range/studio-pen-rainbow/.

Intro

I bought this pen around 2 month ago when I was looking for a decent budget fountain pen to take notes in lectures with. I wanted a pen which wrote well however wouldn’t leave a dent in my wallet if I was too loose it.

I bought it from a local stationary shop for £14 the only other pens on offer that were similarly priced were Parker I.M’s and Lamy Safari’s none of which I found particularly interesting at the time however the Platignum studio I did.

Appearance / design

I was initially attracted to the pen by it's bright modern design with it large range colour options and secondly by it's all metal design (which is quite rare at this relatively low price point).

The pen is primarily made from aluminium and has a rubber grip section which is comfortable. The pen measures up at 12cm un-posted and 15cm posted which is similar to the Lamy studio and safari fountain pens and in terms of weight and the pen weighs 28 grams posted and 18 grams un-posted which (ironically is nearly identical to the Lamy studio fountain pen) and the pen also balances well.

Overall I was pleased with the design.

Performance

The pen generally performs well and met my expectations. It has a smooth firm steel nib which delivers a medium line width with little to no flex offering little line variation however even though it writes smoothly both my rotring Freeway and Lamy Studio are a little smoother. The pen occasional has the tendency to skip when left uncapped or left unused for long periods of time however I’ve found the feed keeps up well when writing. Overall I’ve I was pleased with its performance of the pen and found it to be well balanced which has made it suitable for extended writing tasks.

Filling system

The pen uses the standard international c/c system which is beneficial as it offers a large range of compatible ink cartridges without the need to use bottled inks.

Value and Cost

I purchased this pen for £14 (approx $20 USD) which seems to be the going price I am happy with the price as it offers a surprisingly solid pen at a relatively low price point.

Overall

I’m pleased with the pen and I find myself reaching for it more often than some the more expensive pens I own.

Would I buy one again?

Yes If I was to lose mine I would buy another (I'd rather try different pens than buy multiples of pens i already own one which functions well).

Edited by top pen

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Blue Knight

• Newjelan

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review. I have one in lime green and one in pink. Paid $25AUD for the green one, and managed to get the pink one for $10AUD, so I'm happy.

Great review. I have one in lime green and one in pink. Paid $25AUD for the green one, and managed to get the pink one for $10AUD, so I'm happy.

Thanks for your comment!