Pelikan M200? Advice

Turquoise

Hi Everyone! I would like to get my first nicer Pelikan without overspending. I have experienced the smoothness of the Pelikano and Pelikano Jr. ;) My favorite writer is the Waterman Phileas. I also like Lamy. Since I like a smooth writer, I am pretty sure a nicer Pelikan is what I want. So I would love the advice of all you Pelikan writers. I'd like to get a nicer one in the $100 range. Is the M200 it? What is the difference between the M200 and 205? Ideally, I would like a bright, fun or pretty color. So far I can only find it in black or marbled green/black. I don't need a gold nib. My final question is: where can I purchase a new M200 or other pen you recommend in the USA? Thank you! :)

Edited by Turquoise

Turquoise

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Turquoise

• thedeacon

• Blue_Moon

• NativeTxn

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't go wrong with a Pelikan.

The M200 have golden clips while the M205 have steel clips and details. M205's come in white, red or black. M200 are only black or demonstrators.

In the future you can change your nib to a gold one.

I suggest you check at Ebay at a store called Penhardcopy, from Singapore. The owner is a member of FPN. He has perhaps the best prices and is a good seller. At the US I believe prices will be a little higher. Look at artbrown.com, fountainpenhospital.com, nibs.com, richardspens.com.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_jZ-W7iwk8uk/TSiIGRGVN6I/AAAAAAAAAGM/721R51sAPTs/s128/DSC_02380001.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jZ-W7iwk8uk/TSuSWwodMkI/AAAAAAAAAG0/W-BuiGAD6gg/s128/l.png

Look at richardspens.com. Richard Binder will personally test and adjust your nib, as necessary prior to shipping. This is called "binderizing" your pen. There's nothing like getting a pen in the mail, knowing it will write smoothly right out of the box.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

If you're looking at Pelikan's in the $100 range, then the M2XX is you best best, unless you go used.

The main difference between the M200 and the M205 is that the 200s has gold colored trim and the 205s have silver colored trim. The nibs on all of the M2XX pens are stainless steel, but the ones on the M200s are gold plated.

I have a M205 in black and really like it. I got it from isellpens.com, but it looks like their Pelikan stock is very low (don't know if they are closing out their Pelikan line or just waiting for new stock - I got mine new for $75, so I don't know what that means as to what they are doing with their Pelikan stock).

You could also check out Richard Binder's site (richardspens.com). He has the 200, 205, and 215s and you can choose any of the available nib sizes and he will tune them prior to shipping, so you can rest assured that they will work very well out of the box for you (and if it doesn't you should be able to send it back to have them tweak it some more).

There are other places that make it easy to source in the US like Amazon and JetPens (jetpens.com).

I'm relatively new to the fountain pen world, but I really like my M205. Nice pen, smooth, holds a good amount of ink. So far, excellent.

Thank you! I really appreciate the tip never knowing who on ebay is a good place to shop. I also remember hearing about Richardspens on here. I will peek there too! Thanks again!

Turquoise

Pelikan is a great choice. The m200 and m205 are only different in color and furniture (trim). The m200 has gold plated furniture, while the m205 has chrome plated furniture.

m200: available in black, green marble, demonstrator and blue marble (However, I haven't seen the blue lately). I think it was once made in a tortoise as well, but may have been an LE. Others could tell you more. You can always do a web search or check ebay. Also has a gold plated SS nib.

m205: available in black, red, white, transparent blue and the yellow highlighter. These are the ones I know of, but there may be more. All have chrome plated trim and SS nib.

Don't forget the m215. Same style Pelikan, but black with rhodium patterns on the pen. Has chromium plated clip, SS nib.

All are nice, you can't go wrong. Shopping choices: www.goldspot.com, www.fahrneyspens.com and www.montgomerypens.com. These are in addition to the good places already listed. Don't underestimate ebay, but make sure you know what you are looking for and pay attention to the pics.

If all these fail, go Lamy 2000. Another great pen. Or, get them both. :o

Happy hunting!

Edited by thedeacon

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

Thank you everyone! Now I am trying to decide between the Red 205, the Green Marble 200 or Black 200. I really want red, but in the pictures, it looks like an orange-red, and I prefer blue-red. Has anyone seen the color in real life? The only fp store here doesn't carry anything under the M400. Is the green marble prettier than in pictures? Even the black looks sleek and nice, but I'm a color-loving person.

Turquoise

The m200, m205 and m215 have been offered in a variety of different colours and patterns over the years. I've purchased a few NOS models in a variety of colours from Regina Martini at martiniauctions.com (no affiliation, just a customer) at pretty good prices. Though I did get into a bidding war that sent the price of a transparent amber m200 through the roof and made me reconsider my budding career as a pen collector hoarder:) Fortunately I lost. Those little birds can be addicting.

Thanks again to all of you for the quick advice! I ended up with the green marble M200, and I love it! I got it in M, and it seems to write a little finer than the Waterman M nib. Has anyone else noticed that? I am glad I saw the review of the green M200 showing how beautiful it really is. I can't believe I have a $100 plus pen. I've been fighting it, but I'm happy to have the luxury!

Turquoise

Welcome to the addiction! :) You may be surprised at how quickly the upper limit on purchases moves... :yikes: