Affordable Parkers With Gold Nibs?

swanjun

Swan:

In that price range, and since you are talking Parker I would say you have a huge range of opportunities.

I have more than half a dozen 51's all well under $200 and almost all of them are fantastic writers. In fact something about these pens seems to me to make them above average performers in my book. The P51 is a slippery slope, I just had a look and I'll just say ... quite a few more than half a dozen.

two of my all time fave pens are a 1945 green pearl Vacumatic (incredibly pretty as well as a great performer) and a 1926 Duofold with a broad stub nib. Both are fantastic writers; think of it, a pen that is 87 years old and works just a well as it did the day it came out of the factory. This is not a pristine show pen, it's a writer but aside from one small repaired lip crack and some brassing to the clip ball and band, this is a beautiful, classic, perhaps iconic piece of indistrial art. The green pearl Vac is one of those things you catch yourself staring at in midsentence in the right light, well, in almost any light for that matter. Both have gold nibs, the vac is a little springy, the Big Red is a nail, but a very smooth nail.

I tell people that Pelikans are my favorite pen, but if I took care to make a close count, I think I might come up with more Parkers.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swanjun

• pajaro

• Ernst Bitterman

• DrCodfish

@Leftytoo and @DrCodfish -- I am thinking 51 in the short-term and Duofold in the long-term (gotta save!), so you've reinforced that decision. :)

If you'll consider vintage, how about a lucky curve jackknife safety model from teens-20s. Excellent gold nibs in those pens and well preserved specimens can be had in the100-200 dollar range.

Edited by cellmatrix

@Leftytoo and @DrCodfish -- I am thinking 51 in the short-term and Duofold in the long-term (gotta save!), so you've reinforced that decision. :)

Can't go wrong with that!

Can't go wrong with that!

Sure you can! The excellent performance of the older pen sets a mighty high bar for the new one, and its more baroque decoration might not cover possible shortcomings. ;)

I speak in utter ignorance, of course, as I've never actually tried the modern Duofold.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Sure you can! The excellent performance of the older pen sets a mighty high bar for the new one, and its more baroque decoration might not cover possible shortcomings. ;)

I have never fallen in love with a pen for its finish before, but in this case, I am going to have to exclaim, "But it's so pretty!" :D

You can score a parker 75 in various finishes for ~70 dollars, the 51 comes to mind as well at around the same price. If you`re willing to spend 200-250 dollars, you can get the ultimate parker- the duofold.

Even old low-end models from parker can have great gold nibs. The one on my parker 17 super duofold(30 dollars) looks great and is very smooth and soft. Just lovely. Of course, you have to be careful where you buy them from, since these are old and sometimes abused pens :)

Edited by rochester21

Hi,

+1 for the English Duofolds with aerometric fill system. Sumptuous somewhat firm nibs. Profoundly simple appearance. Best purchased in fully restored condition from a well-regarded Vendor, though I've done quite well on eB@y dot co dot uk : a full-on cleansing with a minor bit of nib tuning seems to set things right.

I've yet to dip a toe into the 75 pool - especially as it seems those are addictive, and I'm developing a penchant for Sterling pens . . .

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

+1 for the English Duofolds with aerometric fill system. Sumptuous somewhat firm nibs. Profoundly simple appearance. Best purchased in fully restored condition from a well-regarded Vendor, though I've done quite well on eB@y dot co dot uk : a full-on cleansing with a minor bit of nib tuning seems to set things right.

I've yet to dip a toe into the 75 pool - especially as it seems those are addictive, and I'm developing a penchant for Sterling pens . . .

Bye,

S1

So so true Sandy :)

I have found myself magically drawn to the 75 sterling silver crosshatch(cisele) just mesmerized me.

Now all I need is that perfect blue ink !!!

Edited by ALEXANDER999

You specifically stated you want a modern pen. That leaves out the Parker 51 (a good pen, but I like my vintage 1950 Italian Aurora 88 better). I have owned both the high end Sonnet with gold nib and a modern Duofold with gold nib. I think the Sonnet is a so-so pen; nothing special. Its best feature is its size and ergonomics.

My modern made-in-UK Duofold International, on the other hand, is one of my real "keepers". The fit and finish is superior to my Sailors, Pelikans, and Auroras. It is made of a scratch-resistant hard cast acrylic which never gets dull. The nib is soft and smooth and trouble free. It uses an oversize ink cartridge with double the capacity of a standard international.

Bob

The price of the dUOFOLD is a real keeper too.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

@ the OP:

Which is more important to you -- a gold nib or a non-vintage pen?
I don't know much about modern Parkers (especially the higher end models), but all three 51s I own were in the OP's desired price range -- even after I factor in repair costs for the 51 Vac (and possibly also one of the Aeros). All have gold nibs on them (although my 51 Special does not).

Additionally, I found a Parker 45 last summer in an antiques mall which turned out to have a 14K nib on it as well -- and that pen (which had the original squeeze filler) was $10 US plus sales tax.

If you're willing to go vintage, decent pens are certainly to be found in your price range. My plum 51 is something of a beater pen in looks, but it writes great (I'm pretty sure that it's got a medium nib, when I compared it to the other 51s, the 51 Special, and also to a 21 I have that was such a nice writer for the $17 + tax I paid for it that I then understood why people raved about 51s so much).

Not sure of the age of the 51 Vac (it's an English-made pen that doesn't have a date code that I've been able to find) but the plum Aero has markings dated to the 1st quarter of 1949, and the other three pens are all pre-1956 because the sac sleeve says "Use Superchrome Ink" on them. So there is a lot to be said for vintage Parkers.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@ the OP:

Which is more important to you -- a gold nib or a non-vintage pen?

A gold nib, 'cos I wanna try it and see what the difference is. :) I actually have a broad Parker 45, but it looks pretty steel to me. :)

Edited by swanjun

A gold nib, 'cos I wanna try it and see what the difference is. :) I actually have a broad Parker 45, but it looks pretty steel to me. :)

Hi,

To feel the difference between a steel nib and a gold nib, I believe an open nib+feed would make the difference more apparent than the nibs on the 45 / 51.

I suppose an on the level sampling would best be achieved by using the Sonnet, which is offered with both steel and gold nibs, but doing so would likely breach the cost constraint (oops!)

Or is Parker the 'best' platform for such sampling? Our feathered friend, the Pelikan M series, also offer steel and gold open nibs.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

To feel the difference between a steel nib and a gold nib, I believe an open nib+feed would make the difference more apparent than the nibs on the 45 / 51.

I suppose an on the level sampling would best be achieved by using the Sonnet, which is offered with both steel and gold nibs, but doing so would likely breach the cost constraint (oops!)

Or is Parker the 'best' platform for such sampling? Our feathered friend, the Pelikan M series, also offer steel and gold open nibs.

Bye,

S1

Respectfully, I found the change from the Parker 21 steel nib to the Parker 51 gold nib (fitted to a P21) was noticeable, and worth the cost. All of my 51s are delightful and write as well as my Sonnets and 75s, and immeasurably better than the nib on my M400 Pelikan ( I regard that as a knockabout pen, good pen nonetheless). In short compass to my hand writing the open nibs are similar to the hooded nibs, and really there is not much between them, but the gold nibs are superior. Not so fussed with the 45, but I admit that as a longstanding prejudice.

Edited by Tom Aquinas

I find I have a tendency to prefer gold nibs. Having used steel and gold plated steel on Pelikan M200/M400, on Sonnet and on Parker 51/21, I have noted there isn't enough difference in writing smoothness to make a real difference. The nibs are tipped, and smoothing the tipping gives smoothness. From having written for a few years with steel tipped with tipping material and gold tipped with tipping material nibs, and trying to be intellectually honest with myself about it, I have to say the steel nibs tipped are about as good, and in some cases better.

Saying that, I still prefer gold, and I think human nature makes me want what is assumed to be more valuable. With the above pens, I have noted steel nibs as good as gold ones. I think it is the perception of greater value that makes me like gold nibs better.

The Pelikan nibs seem more durable across the board in my experience than the Sonnet nibs. The Sonnet nibs seem to be thinner and more likely to bend and crease in cases where a Pelikan nib (or a 51/21 nib) would not. That said, at some aesthetic level I like all the Parkers better than any Pelikan. Just taste. The squeeze-filling 51s, 21s and some other Parkers like any of their aerometrics are easier to fill, holding them in one hand and the ink bottle in the other. I am starting to like the Sonnets better on looks alone, recognizing that all their nibs of whatever material are thinner and require more care in handling than almost any other pen I have ever used.

Don't recommend to me the Duofold. They could be the best pens ever, but I cannot get beyond the name, which sounds ridiculous to me. People have some irrational likes and dislikes and I try to avoid thinking about Duofolds. Likewise, the marvelous Pelikans seem too squared off to me and I rarely use them anymore. The more rounded Sonnets, of a similar shape if not weight to my favored Montblanc 144s, are my favorites despite nibs which should be handled with care. Handled with care, they offer many smooth nibs in useful nib sizes and usable italics. I have a few with bent nibs which still write superbly. The MB 144s are without peer for their size. Not so easy to get the nib size you want though.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I think it depends on which Parker 45 you get. I have a Flighter (brushed stainless steel with GT), and it has a gold tip.

I think the black and steel 45 that I had in college had a SS tip.

Surprisingly, the 45s are quite affordable. I picked up one for $25 and another for $30, both were Flighters.

I am trying to resist picking up a 3rd 45 Flighter. :)

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Don't recommend to me the Duofold. They could be the best pens ever, but I cannot get beyond the name, which sounds ridiculous to me.

Surely no more so than the Lustraloy cap, the Foto-Fill mechanism with Pli-Glass sac, and the Hi-Flite leak control system incorporating Aerometric control safeguards in the "51" (upon whose quotation marks Parker insisted). Duofold is just an earlier example of silly naming practices in pens, of which no maker is entirely innocent.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

The Parker 51's all have gold nibs, if it says it has a steel nib, it is either a fake pen, or a pen which has had the original nib switched out for a POS Chinese steel nib. If you want get a real Parker 51, check out what a reputable vendor like Old Gris, aka Tom Mullane has to offer.

Parker 51 Specials do have alloy nibs .....

You might look at Vacumatics or Duofolds .... we usually price vacs between $100 and $150, and smaller size Duofolds are in the same price range.

TERI

Edited by terim

Surely no more so than the Lustraloy cap, the Foto-Fill mechanism with Pli-Glass sac, and the Hi-Flite leak control system incorporating Aerometric control safeguards in the "51" (upon whose quotation marks Parker insisted). Duofold is just an earlier example of silly naming practices in pens, of which no maker is entirely innocent.

Surely more cloddy than the others. It is, as I said, an individual thing. Also, the new ones are quite expensive for a pen, and the old ones are old. No interest here. Having grown up with the 51s, I am used to their terminology.

The Duofold name suggests to me some clod from the 1930s putting on his plaid suit and spats. The pens look like some sort of stylized chess king.