Looking for big sterling silver pen

korsten32

Hi,

I'm looking for a nice silver sterling fountain pen and as I like big pens - think of for example Sailor King of pen size - it's got to be a big boy!

I'd like to hear your appreciated suggestions!

thanks,

Luca

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• korsten32

• Pen Nut

• eytim

• wspohn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have a BIG sterling silver pen, but I do have a Cross Townsend Sterlin g silver pen. While the pen is very nice, scratches are unavaoidable due to the softness of the material. So be warned but do enjoy! I think the shine of polished silver is second to none in its lustrous warm brightness.

I have a YOL Viceroy Grand in the Barleycorn finish. It's a big Sterling Silver pen - heavy and it can be posted without damage to the pen barrel. The pen writes well, although I do find the section to get slippery during extended writing. Overall, it's an impressive pen.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

My husband gave me a sterling Sailer 1911 for our anniversary (25th, obviously) - it's wonderful and a good size. I love it (and him!)

Joan

Had a Yard O Led Viceroy Grand in the Victorian finish... By far the worst fountain pen I have ever owned for a number of reasons.

The company were excellent in all the warranty work I required and exchanged components without a problem, thing is the pen should not have gone back to them on four occasions within the first six months of ownership.

Got a 144 Mont Blanc in the silver barleycorn finish but that is probably too small to meet your requirements.

My favourite pen which I return back to time and time again is the Waterman Edson LE in slver. Big dimension and amongest the best writing pens I have owned.

Got a Motegrappe but its a rollerball so dont think that counts does it :D

Anyone like to guess who the two busts are either side of the pens????

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Just another pic....

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

.........and finally,

Here are 2 XEZOs next to a M800. I know they are not all SS, but maybe helps some.

Edited by jd50ae

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

http://www.members.westnet.com.au/raynchris/pix/silvers.jpg

here are some for comparison - from the left

Sheaffer (70s)

CP4 pair

"51"

CS LE 100

hammered silver Sergio Kullock "51"

Signum

CP Sailor

CP Parker Duo (vintage model) heavy pen!

Aurora Cellini - also heavy and delicious

Sailor 1911

MB "Wedding Ring" 146 size - heavy

CP Pelikan "Charlotte"

Platinum (takes other Platinum nibs!)

Sheaffer @Victorian'

I haven't seen a KOP size in silver.........and the heaviest and heftiest of my pens has to be the CP Parker I think.

Enjoy! :)9

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

The first thing that sprung to mind was a large Yard-O-Led - I did read what was said about having to return one many times within several or so months, which is NOT cool. That aside, I can't comment on the pen's performance, as I was once tempted by one in a brick and mortar shop, but the huge price tag at the time kept me away. (More than likely cheaper online). Very impressive in appearance, all silver.

Best of luck! :D

R.ticle One

Chris Chalmers, your pen pic blinded me. B) Wow!

"Inside his cardboard box, Greg heated a dented can of Spaghetti-O's over a small fire made from discarded newspapers, then cracked open his last can of shoplifted generic beer to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his embarkation on a career as a freelance writer." --Lawrence Person

The pen you want is very simple:

Waterman Edson LE in sliver!!!

I have a regular Edson and I love it.Having it in silver would be a true dream but I cant afford it.

If you can afford this pen then go for it.Oh and take the medium nib.

Respect to all

Did you have to do that Chris ? :bonk: :bonk: :sick: :sick:

My favourite big silver is my CP5 Modern. Very sweet :D

You could always go the other direction - here's the CP5 with a Kika :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/ruaidhri/KikaandFriens.jpg

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

I agree that the Classic Pens sterling CP series are just great and I have most of them.

I'd add the Aurora 80th Anniversaryhttp://www.giardino.it/pens/aurora/IMMAGINI/80esimo.jpg

and the Conway Stewart Francis Drake http://www.andys-pens.ukhome.net/conwaypix/drake4a.jpg

Just got one of the latter and it is a fairly heavy silver pen.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Are you interested in the weight in addition to the size? And will you be writing with this quite a bit?

King of Pen is a wonderful size (especially to these arthritic hands), but it is the lightness that attracts even more-

Silver is heavy and soft- if the pen sags, even drops, there will be dents-

T

Bill, this CS Drake is very, very impressive, great!

Can you say something on its size; is it comparable to for example the CS Churchill?

thanks, cheers,

Luca

chris chalmers, your silver pens collection is amazing ;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Bill, this CS Drake is very, very impressive, great!

Can you say something on its size; is it comparable to for example the CS Churchill?

thanks, cheers,

Luca

Sorry, I don't own a Churchill so I can't say.

The Drake is almost exactly the same size as a Parker Duofold Centennial, and is similar in weight to the Classic Pens sterling versions of that Parker.

Probably M800 Pelikan size, bit smaller than a MB 149. Nice weighty pens.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html