Diamine Syrah

Sandy1

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.
As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/27ddb717.jpg
]:[

Fidelity

Figure 1.
Swabs & Swatch
Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/e6710dd5.jpg

Figure 2.
NIB-ism ✑
Paper: HPJ1124.
Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/9fd045d2.jpg
Pens, L → R: Estie, M400, 1745, Waterman, Slimfold, C74.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick
Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 3.
Paper: HPJ1124.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/408ec68d.jpg

Figure 4.
Paper: Rhodia.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/c166ced5.jpg

Figure 5.
Paper: G Lalo.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/a84ea9e5.jpg

Figure 6.
Paper: Royal.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/aa8f8765.jpg

Figure 7.
Paper: Staples.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/e51c0d6f.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 8.
Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.
Pen: Waterman.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/4839836f.jpg

Figure 9.
Bleed- Show-Through on Staples.
(Reverse of Figure 7.)
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/7c080314.jpg

Hi-Res Scans:
Originals are approximately 60x30 mm.

Estie on HPJ1124:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/7725b144.jpg
1745 on Rhodia:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/9250425a.jpg

Waterman on G Lalo:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/ead739b8.jpg
C74 on Royal:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/36029da5.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Not so much.

USE
Kindly note that Red is a colour with many connotations, which vary according to the context and cultures in which it is used. These sources provide great insight into the use of Red ink:

Business:
(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• As ever, in Western cultures the use of Red in business seems to be limited to an alt/aux ink, or colour-coded work, so I cannot envisage use for general correspondence.
  • For personal work product, it does offer a pleasant enough writing experience, though for longer reading sessions, I would find the colour far too vibrant - even from narrow nibs when the % coverage on the page is low. (I look forward to hearing from those who use Syrah on a routine basis.)
  • Two-sided use of common copy/printer papers may not be a reasonable expectation.
  • Line quality might not be sufficient for tiny marginalia & annotation, but that will depend greatly on pen+paper. (The Estie + XF did well on HPJ1124.)
  • As Red-centric inks may often be used for indicating errors / corrections and grading, and marking / underlining content of high importance, I'd not use Syrah for editing, forms work, etc.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• A good pick for extending the Red palette, giving a respite from the brilliant Reds, especially when applied to large areas / blocks. Has just enough snap to be used for narrow lines & labels.
  • As a watercolour, it can appear a bit 'rosy' at pale values, but avoids flashing Pink. When overworked with wet media, there is a distinct remnant which is of a similar colour, so sponging / stippling may create results of some appeal.

Students:

• As for business, we seem to have an alt/aux ink that won't go about screaming its head off, and can survive a dunking.

Personal:

• Another welcome addition to my small array of warm inks.
  • As ever, I tend to approach such warm inks with a bit of reserve, so typically use my narrow nibs and smaller format sheets, and only for the shorter letter or note or sentiment enclosed with a greeting card.
  • As these things sometimes go, I've taken to pairing Syrah with papers of low brilliance without optical brightening agents, yet there is nothing that precludes papers that glow in the dark.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Somewhat wet.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• High.
  • All pens ran quite smoothly on the textured papers.
  • Greater lubricity might've caused problems on the Rhodia.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining (pen):

• Not seen after three days contact.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely

Bleed- Show-Through: :(

• HPJ1124: Waterman, Slimfold, C74.
  • Royal: All.
  • Staples 20lb: Waterman.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• HPJ1124: C74.
  • Royal: All.

Aroma:

• A bit sharp on the nose.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean Up:

• Quick and thorough with plain water.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Firm.
  • Ripe.

Saturation:

• Middling.

Shading Potential:

• Quite possible, even from narrow nibs.
  • Prime driver seems to be choice of paper.

Line Quality:

• Very dependent on paper - more so than most other Diamine inks.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • About as expected.
  • Papers used:
    • About as expected - other than shading.

Malleability:

• Moderate.
  • The wily practitioner may need to juggle pen and paper to get the desired appearance.
  • The performance envelope isn't generous; and Syrah seems to require dry-ish writers to be used with confidence on most mid-range papers.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Those that resist bleed- show-through.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Those that cannot suppress bleed- show-through.

Tinted Papers:

• Hmm.
  • I really wouldn't go too far from White, though a pale Creme might be OK, as might the most pale Powder Blue.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Yes.
  • The smooth coated papers seem to be required to compensate for ink's wetness and propensity for bleed-show-through and sometimes wooly line; and if shading and higher line quality are desired.
  • Others to consider are the textured G Lalo Velin de France and and MK Papier Exquisit, but only if accompanied by a rather wet pen to overcome those papers' somewhat hard textured surface, hence keep the line quality from becoming too coarse.

ETC.

Majik:

• Not so much - the performance profile is a bit snug for conjuring.

Billets Doux:

• Oh yes.
  • (My 30ml bottle may last quite some time.)

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• M400 on G Lalo.
  • An understated warmth comes from the wet narrow nib that keeps the line quality high, and % coverage rather low.
  • The Natural White of the paper gently trims the simultaneous contrast, keeping the narrow line close to the surface of laid sheet.
  • The combo gives an interesting tactile experience of the heavy somewhat stiff sheet carrying a light load of ink.

Yickity Yackity:

• Syrah has taken its time rising to the top of my bottomless To Do list, but its time had come at last. And I'm glad I waited to get more experience with this ink before doing this IR.
  • Ah kushbaby, can this lure you away from Binder Burgundy?

===⧺===

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens:
Written Samples:
A. Estie + 9550 EF steel nib.
B. Pelikan M400 + g-p steel EF nib.
C. Reform 1745 + g-p steel nib.
D. Waterman + steel M nib.
E. Parker Slimfold (Black) + 14K Bodacious nib.
F. Pilot Custom 74 + № 5 14K MS nib.
Lines & labels: Waterman Havana from a Pilot Penmanship + XF.

Papers:

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo Verge de France: natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Staples: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photo*ucket, IP.Board s/w, and your viewing gear.

Other Inks

• This Review uses the same Written Sample format, atrocious handwriting and some pen+paper combos common to most of my previous Reviews of Red-centric inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.
  • Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your PM requesting a specific comparison. Additional scans may be produced as time & tides allow, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

Fine Print
The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.
Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.
As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have.
Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Sandy1 Diamine Syrah Bordeaux Red 2013

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Nick T

• The Good Captain

• OakIris

Another great review, Sandy. This was one of the first Diamine inks I bought and is the only one I've never actually used at all. My wife has tried it a couple of times though. I just might have to do so myself. You never know!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

What an awesomely detailed review - just like an engineer! :D

Love it!! Great work!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Perfection may be transient, but then so is everything.', MC

'All that a great power has to do to destroy itself is persist in trying to do the impossible.', Stephen Vizinczey

Thanks, great review! I like do this ink, but I don't use it very often since I find it too dark. When I use reds (which actually isn't very often) then it's almost always for "corrections" and thus I stick to something brighter like D's Poppy or Pumpkin. But that was by no means the intention of creating this, of course.

I think our cap'n should drink it all up before it's too late. A good bottle (even if kept closed) will someday go bad, you know.

MIke

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I think our cap'n should drink it all up before it's too late. A good bottle (even if kept closed) will someday go bad, you know.

MIke

It stained my teeth terribly.

The Good Captain

It stained my teeth terribly.

Just when I was going to suggest that for a complete piece of research all the senses should be used, somebody has done it.

Brilliant piece of research Sandy. It has excelletn coverage and very well presented.

Edited by RuiFromUK

Kind regards,

Rui

Great review, as always Sandy! Thank you!

I really like this ink; I use it in my Lamy 2000 with an EF nib. It's a great combination, IMHO, looks really nice coming out of this black pen, the flow is excellent, writing is smoooooth and yes, there is shading!

Holly

Another superb review. I try to read all of your reviews, not because I need more inks, but because of the education received. Sandy1, Professor Emeritus. Thank you.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

Another great review, Sandy. This was one of the first Diamine inks I bought and is the only one I've never actually used at all. My wife has tried it a couple of times though. I just might have to do so myself. You never know!

Hi,

Thanks!

I hope that it is a rare occurrence to acquire an ink only to set it aside.

Perhaps you could write more billets doux to your bride . . .

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Thanks!

I hope that it is a rare occurrence to acquire an ink only to set it aside.

Perhaps you could write more billets doux to your bride . . .

Bye,

S1

That's not a bad idea - I talk to her now and again as well!!!!!

The Good Captain

What an awesomely detailed review - just like an engineer! :D

Love it!! Great work!

Hi,

Many thanks for your kind words!

But I reckon an Engineer would've used papers with a pre-printed grid. *ducking & weaving*

Bye,

S1

Awesome, Sandy1. You are the best. Thank you so much.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Thanks, great review! I like do this ink, but I don't use it very often since I find it too dark. When I use reds (which actually isn't very often) then it's almost always for "corrections" and thus I stick to something brighter like D's Poppy or Pumpkin. But that was by no means the intention of creating this, of course.

MIke

Hi,

You're welcome!

I too am not a heavy consumer of Red-centric inks for correspondence, but when I do reach for one such, I am quite finicky & fussy. For tasks such as correction & underlining, and most entries in my personal financial records, I have a pot of Quink Red.

Bye,

S1

Just when I was going to suggest that for a complete piece of research all the senses should be used, somebody has done it.

Brilliant piece of research Sandy. It has excelletn coverage and very well presented.

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words!

The template I'm using continues to evolve, and has expanded to include some aspects suggested by other Members.

Bye,

S1

One of my favorites. My first fill of Syrah surprised me with how well it shaded in a bagasse notebook. I was encouraged to try it in wider nibs, and I usually stick to fine nibs. Kudos to Diamine! :)

What a thorough review! Thank you! I'm putting this ink on my to-buy list — it looks fabulous.

Life's too short for bad paper.

Great review, as always Sandy! Thank you!

I really like this ink; I use it in my Lamy 2000 with an EF nib. It's a great combination, IMHO, looks really nice coming out of this black pen, the flow is excellent, writing is smoooooth and yes, there is shading!

Holly

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thanks for letting us know your choice of pen+nib to use with Syrah. :thumbup:

What paper/s are you using to generate shading from such a narrow nib?

(The firm-rigid XF Posting nib on the Estie shows no shading, yet the g-p steel EF on the M400 does show shading - even on the HPJ1124.)

I'm glad you also find Syrah to run smoothly from a narrow nib.

Bye,

S1

Hi Sandy,

Your reviews are looked forward to every time in my world. Having done only two reviews myself I appreciate the time and effort that goes into your comprehensive effort.

I used Syrah as an everyday all day ink for about 6 months and then found myself burnt out on the color. It was like falling in and out of love in a Hemingway novel. We just became tired of each other. I used Syrah daily in a Lamy 1.1 stub at work on all kinds of cheap paper. It worked well enough and being an artist was acceptable to write business correspondence with. The russet hue left me feeling melancholy when at first it was so exciting.

For this warm color profile I am now using Iroshizuku Yama-budo. It is not the same russet hue of Syrah, but is related - being more of a purplish eggplant color. Once I have more experience with Yama budo I will pen a brief review.

Thank you again for reviewing an ink that got a lot of use here. It is a worthy blend and color.

Cheers - Nicholas

Another superb review. I try to read all of your reviews, not because I need more inks, but because of the education received. Sandy1, Professor Emeritus. Thank you.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Many thanks for your kind words!

I do try to pass along whatever seems of interest in my overall appreciation of ink, and to enable one to make rewarding choices when the time comes for another ink, whether it is 'needed' or not. :D

Bye,

S1

Awesome, Sandy1. You are the best. Thank you so much.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I'm glad you hold my contribution in such high regard, yet I am but one of the many who brings treats to the party.

Bye,

S1