The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Three Experiments In One Pen

esterbrook invisavue pick-guard accents

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 duncsuss

duncsuss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 19:57

Nicely done, with handsome results! I'll be interested to learn how well the Renew-Point works without an air channel back into the convertor. I tinkered with this concept awhile back, and it always vapor-locked on me. I ended up ditching the nipple and plug entirely and making the pen an eyedropper filler instead; that worked *very* well.

So far I haven't noticed any problems, but my writing habits are far from normal: I use the pen to make a few notes, then set it down and program some more, then make another note, and so on. It's conceivable this allows it to avoid locking.

The first pen I made to take Renew-Points is a bulb-filler. It writes a very wet line (using the 2442 stub that I've got in there at the moment) but the volume of ink it holds (compared to a converter) means it keeps going and going and going.

Shawn Newton (watch_art) told me that when he made an eye-dropper he found it had a tendency to flood, so I was going to avoid that route ... but you found it worked very well, so maybe I'll try it after all. They are a lot less challenging than any other ink supply!

I wish I could find a source for very thin o-rings, the standard dimensions are way too fat and look ugly. I know they exist (I have a couple of the Noodler give-aways that use them) but none of my searches have been fruitful.

Duncan Suss

Facebook: FruitOfTheLathe

Sponsored Content

#22 Chthulhu

Chthulhu

Rawr.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 23:34

Mine had a fairly small ink capacity, maybe 1.5 - 2 ml is all, and the hole in my section was roughly the same size as that in an Estie sac nipple. The simplest Renew-Point pen I've cobbled together used a PaperMate stick pen with the butt end cap well sealed, the tip assembly removed, and the open end tapped to 9/32"-36 for the Renew-Point (I had to make the rather crude tap myself). The cap even still fit. :-)

Mike Hungerford
http://goo.gl/dUVnUZ

#23 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

"Federalist Frank".....(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:50

Nice job on your custom Estie!

Appleman made this one for me back in 2010-

IMG_1166.JPG

It uses a Parker Squeeze filler- it was his suggestion, since he discovered that Parker converter tips actually fit the section opening of Esties (You could not do this with a J pen though- barrels too short!)

Regards,

Frank

Attached Images

• Custom Estie.jpg

Edited by Frankiex, 10 July 2013 - 02:56.

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

#24 duncsuss

duncsuss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:03

Nice job on your custom Estie!

[snip]... he discovered that Parker converter tips actually fit the section opening of Esties (You could not do this with a J pen though- barrels too short!)

Regards,

Frank

Thanks, Frank.

Prior to this experiment, I made a section that simply had a tight push-fit of the standard Schmidt converter into the section opening.

It leaked a very tiny amount, so little that I believe it would seal itself as the ink dried around the nose of the converter -- but still, not ideal and not as good as this one IMO.

Duncan Suss

Facebook: FruitOfTheLathe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, invisavue, pick-guard accents

Sponsored Content

|