Three Experiments In One Pen

duncsuss

This was my first time using Invisavue material.

I found it very difficult to shape -- it chipped out frequently even when I was using freshly-honed tools, though it took threads without too much difficulty. I don't intend to buy any more of it (although I've got a few pieces left so I will most likely use it again.)

It was also my first attempt at adding "accents" using pick-guard material, which I glued to the black ebonite of the cap finial and the end of the section that meets the barrel.

Gluing with 2-part epoxy (5 minute variety) didn't work out too well, but there are a number of possible contributing factors to that. I switched to medium CA, which worked much better. However, close inspection shows there are tiny voids along the glue line, and this wouldn't be acceptable in a pen for sale. My next attempts will be using thick "gap filling" CA and another shot using epoxy, this time letting it cure 24 hours before beginning to work it.

Finally -- and this one I'm really happy with the outcome -- it was my prototype of a section for Esterbrook Renew-point nibs that compensates for the fact that there is no feed tube coming out the back of the nib units.

I got some stainless steel tube and cut a piece to length, flared one end of it, and glued it into an ebonite plug turned to match the hole that receives a cartridge/converter. (The flare reinforces it against pulling out of the ebonite plug.) I drilled a small diameter hole through from the front to the back of the section, then glued the plug-and-feed-tube in.

Voila -- an Esterbrook compatible section that has a feed tube.

I actually like the pen overall (despite its imperfections) and I've been using it as my daily writer for the last week, loaded with Noodler's Polar Blue and using an Esterbrook #1555 (Gregg shorthand) nib.

post-87903-0-43625100-1372961086_thumb.jpgpost-87903-0-73803900-1372961095_thumb.jpgpost-87903-0-99430500-1372961098_thumb.jpgpost-87903-0-24814800-1372961107_thumb.jpg

Duncan Suss

Facebook: FruitOfTheLathe

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• duncsuss

• Chthulhu

• 3rdlakerobert

• TMac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NICE PEN! : )

Same opinion ! :thumbup: :puddle:

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/petitdauphinzele/midnightblue-1.png

aka Petitdauphinzele

NICE PEN! : )

Very pretty! Worth the effort!

Same opinion ! :thumbup: :puddle:

Thank you :happyberet:

My experience was much the same as yours -- tried it once,life's too short to try it again.

Doug

:D

I will be on the lookout for similar patterns in other material, though -- I like the finished result, but getting there was a major pain in the you-know-what.

Duncan Suss

I really like the pen and have to admit to being something of an Invisavue fan. I love the feel of it--something like ebonite. Makes me wonder if there's rubber in it. No problem turning it but drilling is a slow process.

I prefer 5-min epoxy to any CA. I do clamp the joint since the set-up time is so long (compared to CA). Mainly I like the heat tolerance and working time of the epoxy. When I use it for bands, I find I can turn it after an overnight cure.

Very nice work on the Esterbrook!

I really like the pen and have to admit to being something of an Invisavue fan. I love the feel of it--something like ebonite. Makes me wonder if there's rubber in it. No problem turning it but drilling is a slow process.

I prefer 5-min epoxy to any CA. I do clamp the joint since the set-up time is so long (compared to CA). Mainly I like the heat tolerance and working time of the epoxy. When I use it for bands, I find I can turn it after an overnight cure.

Very nice work on the Esterbrook!

Thanks, Robert.

I'm completely open to the idea it might have been my technique that made it so difficult for me to work the material; nearly every type of wood I've turned has a different character, so I ought to expect it of man-mades too.

It's also possible the epoxy I used is past its best. I've got some new supplies (keeping cool in the fridge), I'll try again with the fresh stuff and see if that holds together better after an overnight cure.

Duncan Suss

Thanks, Robert.

I'm completely open to the idea it might have been my technique that made it so difficult for me to work the material; nearly every type of wood I've turned has a different character, so I ought to expect it of man-mades too.

It's also possible the epoxy I used is past its best. I've got some new supplies (keeping cool in the fridge), I'll try again with the fresh stuff and see if that holds together better after an overnight cure.

I forgot mention that 5-minute epoxy also has better gap-filling properties. Don't hesitate to give a full 24 hrs.. though if you're going to ask it to fill gaps.

CA is rated for 2900 psi and 5-min epoxy is rated at 5000 psi for strength. For heat resistance, CA is rated poor and 5ME is rated very good. When you use 5ME, clean the parts first, preferably with denatured alcohol, and then sand to provide good surfaces for adhesion.

I forgot mention that 5-minute epoxy also has better gap-filling properties. Don't hesitate to give a full 24 hrs.. though if you're going to ask it to fill gaps.

CA is rated for 2900 psi and 5-min epoxy is rated at 5000 psi for strength. For heat resistance, CA is rated poor and 5ME is rated very good. When you use 5ME, clean the parts first, preferably with denatured alcohol, and then sand to provide good surfaces for adhesion.

Thanks for this advice, I'll report back after my next attempt(s)

Duncan Suss

Very nice! Well done!

Good job, that is a beautiful pen.

I do like the way it turned out, I'll try repeating this shape in the next pen I make. That will be another first for me -- making a pen to an existing design (as opposed to just winging it as I go!)

Duncan Suss

Cool material and shape just by themselves...but the mod work for the filling system is just really darn impressive! Kudos! :thumbup:

Ken

Thanks, Ken -- it's not rocket surgery, but I was quite pleased with myself for working out how to do it B)

Duncan Suss

nice pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nicely done, with handsome results! I'll be interested to learn how well the Renew-Point works without an air channel back into the convertor. I tinkered with this concept awhile back, and it always vapor-locked on me. I ended up ditching the nipple and plug entirely and making the pen an eyedropper filler instead; that worked *very* well.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive