Do You Guys Let Others Use Your Pens?

rumbleroar

No issues lending my pens to people as the people I work with are educated and understand how to write with a fountain pen.

Having said the above, although they do not know the true value of some of the pens I take to work, they know enough to know that they are expensive so avoid using them through fear of damaging them.

I actually think it is rude to say no to someone when they ask to borrow your pen. Its very hard to say it politely without looking rude or arrogant. I ensure though that they are not readily accessible to people so the chances of being asked are reduced as much as possible. You can always keep a second pen on your desk and then give that to people should they need a pen.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• GabrielleDuVent

• rumbleroar

• ac12

Actually, I'm reluctant even to lend a ballpoint. I think that anyone who can predict he may need a writing instrument should be carrying one. Still, if I have a ballpoint on me when a friend or colleague needs to write something down, I'll let them use it.

If it's just a momentary need to write something down, I will never lend one of my fountain pens. If a friend thinks my fountain pens look interesting, and would like to try one, I will lend him or her something, but it might not be one of the ones I'm carrying with me. I can always get one of my less often used pens from home, a Pilot FP-78G for example. I've even given a couple away.

I could not disagree more that it is rude to refuse to lend a pen. Of course, we all get caught short eventually and may "rely on the kindness of strangers". On the other hand, there are too many people who can never be bothered to provide their own writing instruments, even though they know they will need something. It's a judgment call in each case, but I never have a problem with saying no.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Generally, no. Most people don't ask and I haven't yet had a pen snatched from my fingers or pocket.

However, I will allow people I know reasonably well to use a sturdy pen like a Waterman Expert II. Mine is often filled with a waterproof ink, so a bit of warning will have them treat it quite carefully.

Vintage, flex and extra-fine nibs are off limits, though.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

I am in the firm NO column unless I know that person to be experiened in the use and care of fountain pens.

This decision was arrived upon after my very 1st fountain pen was forcefully borrowed and mangled by a ballpoint pen user. Never again.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I usually have a large selection of "borrowing pens" at my desk, including a couple of less expensive Chinese fountain pens. But to lend someone one of MY pens? No.

Most to all are quite light handed with my pens, in I stress that.

If I have a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex or an Easy Full Flex nib....I will take the time to teach them how to make a fancy Capitol L, my favorite fancy letter.

Capitol 'L's are literally the best letter in the entire alphabet. No joke here.

I haven't experienced one of those awkward "borrow your pen" moments followed by moments of horror looking on as the pen gets abused, At 6'2" 285#, I'm not the sort of person that most people will consider snatching a pen from, so I recognize that my lack of a problem with this is not much help. You will either listen to my instruction before using my pen, or you will find another pen.

Yeah, at 5'4", there are some people who seem to think (like that guy, apparently) that it's okay to snatch my pen from my hands. I was kind of shocked, to be honest, that he would just so blatantly disregard the fact that it is my pen. So rude. And he actually thought I would call him? It was pretty much harassment. But I get off topic.

For the most part I have no problem telling people no, but in that case, he just ripped it right out of my hands.

When someone asks to borrow my pen, I hesitate (which is usually enough for them to work it out - seeing a fountain pen etc), but if absolutely necessary,

I start the tirade:

'I only have a foutain pen, you can use it only if you don't press at all, it is a delicate instrument...'

- then as I hand it over, I feel my stomach knot up, my pulse rises, and my palms begin to sweat. :unsure:

I am watching every stroke made saying

'don't press, don't press, lightly, gently, '....

...until finally it is back in my hand and then I have to check that it is still in character by writing strings of 8's, testing the flow, looking at the tines under a x20, etc...

...It had crossed my mind that I am paranoid, but I dismiss it completely :rolleyes: . As a comparison, a good carpenter will not let someone use his best tenon saw? :)

Sometimes it is easier to ask someone else in the vicinity :D if I can borrow a pen for whoever is asking me! :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Perfection may be transient, but then so is everything.', MC

'All that a great power has to do to destroy itself is persist in trying to do the impossible.', Stephen Vizinczey

...It had crossed my mind that I am paranoid, but I dismiss it completely :rolleyes: . As a comparison, a good carpenter will not let someone use his best tenon saw? :)

Sometimes it is easier to ask someone else in the vicinity :D if I can borrow a pen for whoever is asking me! :P

User DrCodfish said in another thread:

Hunting dog carbon fiber steelhead rod, vintage corvette, trophy wife, and fountain pen: "No, you may not borrow any of these."

I'll start lending out my pens if those people will lend me their spouses. :P

Edited by GabrielleDuVent

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Depends on the pen, depends on the person, and depends on how they ask.

Pilot Vpens are good for getting people to try a FP for the first time. So are Chinese cheapies.

A Noodler's Ahab spent some time with an artistic friend for her to try.

A Parker 45 Flighter sometimes gets lent to regular folks (but not the one with the big broad swooshy wet nib.)

Vacumatics, Sheaffer balance and Waterman Ideals are all off limits to anyone other than FP users I know.

And NO ONE touches my Lamy 2000.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I have a couple of inexpensive, expendable pens that are left out for others to use.

As for the rest of my fountain pens, they will have their turn, when I am dead.

Kudos to the Esterbrook lenders. Better people than I am.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Have to thank FPN and most other gear fetish communities for making me feel like a kind and selfless person.

Robert.

I actually think it is rude to say no to someone when they ask to borrow your pen. Its very hard to say it politely without looking rude or arrogant.

So far, I've found that looking slightly embarrassed and saying "this pen has a really weird nib" works. You know, the whole blame it on yourself routine.

I'll gladly let inexperienced users try my Lamy Studio or Pilot Metropolitan or the like, but usually with a "do you know how to use a fountain pen" first. I want to share the enjoyment of FPs! The monetary risk is low and replacement is easy. I often have a Varsity or two on hand to give away too.

Experienced FP users are welcome to try any of my pens, thought I'm a bit more wary of lending out my vintage flex pen.

Actually, I'm reluctant even to lend a ballpoint. I think that anyone who can predict he may need a writing instrument should be carrying one.

Wow, you must be loads of fun at a party.

Only those I know are fellow FP addicts will use one of my FP´s, others get a nice Pilot V Ball !

Long ago I had someone borrow one of my pens off the fly and he ended up dropping it and busting it up. He never did say "sorry", just an "oops". Luckily it was just a cheap rollerball. Bugged the freaking sht out of me, not just the busted up pen, but the freakin nerve of that guy to not even apologize.

Later in the year someone else wanted to borrow my pen off the fly and I smartened up and said,

"NO. This pen is worth several hundred dollars. I can't afford to have someone misuse or break it. It happened before." This is when I had my MB 163 rollerball with me.

When asked, I always fall back on " (Sigh), Sadly no. You see I repeatedly stabbed the last person who damaged it and as a condition of my probation I am not permitted to lend out pens."

Edited by hardyb

The Danitrio Fellowship

"It's a fountain pen, is that ok?" usually freaks people out and they go looking elsewhere.

Otherwise, I will, with instructions not to press down. It's a good way to introduce people to the fountain pen. And, actually, my nice pen doesn't go out of the house anyway.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I generally dont mind lending out a pen, especially as my "carry around" pen is usually relatively inexpensive and has a steel nib. It doesnt hurt that most people around here know how to use fountain pens anyway. What I do, however, is uncap the pen for them (I learnt that lesson after having a friend try to pull the cap off a Pelikan 600 - thankfully, she was quite petite and didnt rip the threads off).

If it is a really expensive pen, with a nib that will cost several hundred dollars to replace, then I will say "listen, sorry, this nib has been customized for my handwriting, would you mind using a different pen please?"

I had one awkward pen moment: I had some friends of friends come over to the hospital to donate blood for a family member's surgery, and I was pre-filling in the form with the patient details with my brand new MB Jonathan Swift. One of them took the form from me, and, while looking at the form, absent-mindedly reached/gestured for the pen in my hand. Given the circumstances, I couldnt refuse, and so gave it to him. That was... stressful. Pen was ok, however.

Most other pens - ehh, i dont care. If someone wants one, I'll lend it to them. It's just a pen.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Once...

Fred

...with a grip of iron and quite prepared to squeeze the balls very

hard indeed of anyone who interfered...~ Tony Blair ~