The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How To Dry Out Vac Fillers?

vac 700 vacuum fillers twsbi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 K. Cakes

K. Cakes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:31

Recently I won a very generous PIF and was the lucky recipient of a TWSBI Vac 700.  Everything about it was wonderful, and I had it in continuous rotation since I received it.  Until a little over a week ago when I flushed it, left it sitting in a cup with a cloth to suck out the excess water, and then I stored it.  I took it out today and  :sick: Yikes!  It smells like something is growing in there.  I flushed it again (with some dish soap) and tried to dry it out better, but for the life of me I can't get all of the water out of the barrel.  I noticed that when changing inks there was always a good amount of water droplets left in the barrel after flushing, but the ink capacity is so large it was never enough to effect the ink so I didn't think much about it until now. Is there some trick to flushing Vac fillers I'm missing out on?

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Sponsored Content

#2 msolok

msolok

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:42

Easiest way with the VAC700 is to use the wrench thatt came with the pen to unscrew the piston from the back of the pen. Then use a tissue or some scruched up towel to dry the barrel. I would also give the metal rod a wipe down and dry, and unscren the feed unit to make sure you have cleaned all ink out of there.

Currently collection:Lamy Safari's x5, Lamy Al Star's x3, Lamy Studio's x2, A Lamy 2000, Kaweco Sports/AL Sports x7, Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab) x10, Noodlers Konrad Ebonite x2, Hero 616 x10, Reform 1745 x10, Sailor 1911m x2, Sailor 1911 Realo x3, Sailor Pro Gear Realo x2, Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black, Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver, Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice (M Dreamtouch Nib), Visconti Opera Elements x3 (Amber and Black with M Dreamtouch Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age, Montblanc 146 Le Grande... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

#3 K. Cakes

K. Cakes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 20:50

Easiest way with the VAC700 is to use the wrench thatt came with the pen to unscrew the piston from the back of the pen. Then use a tissue or some scruched up towel to dry the barrel. I would also give the metal rod a wipe down and dry, and unscren the feed unit to make sure you have cleaned all ink out of there.

Thank you.  I'm always apprehensive about taking apart TWSBIs, lest they crack on me.  But this seems like the only way to go about it.  I'll do that next time I take it out of rotation. 

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

#4 Bigeddie

Bigeddie

Must not purchase more ink.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2013 - 20:57

Recently I won a very generous PIF and was the lucky recipient of a TWSBI Vac 700.  Everything about it was wonderful, and I had it in continuous rotation since I received it.  Until a little over a week ago when I flushed it, left it sitting in a cup with a cloth to suck out the excess water, and then I stored it.  I took it out today and  :sick: Yikes!  It smells like something is growing in there.  I flushed it again (with some dish soap) and tried to dry it out better, but for the life of me I can't get all of the water out of the barrel.  I noticed that when changing inks there was always a good amount of water droplets left in the barrel after flushing, but the ink capacity is so large it was never enough to effect the ink so I didn't think much about it until now. Is there some trick to flushing Vac fillers I'm missing out on?

Be careful! Something might be growing in there! 

Check other threads on the forum for mould. if it smells bad it might be that it's infected and needs quarantine, any ink you use might become infected and contaminate other pens. I would suggest thoroughly flushing the pen with an ammonia solution to be sure. Sorry to scare you, but it's worth being cautions. 

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

#5 K. Cakes

K. Cakes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 21:24

Be careful! Something might be growing in there! 

Check other threads on the forum for mould. if it smells bad it might be that it's infected and needs quarantine, any ink you use might become infected and contaminate other pens. I would suggest thoroughly flushing the pen with an ammonia solution to be sure. Sorry to scare you, but it's worth being cautions. 

I'm almost positive there was something growing in there.  I flushed it out with regular dish soap (Mrs. Meyer's Honeysuckle if that at all matters) and filled it back up.  It seems to be working just fine, no clogging or hard starts and no funny smells.  I fill it from a Vac 20 bottle and it's the only pen that uses that bottle so the worst is that I would just have to toss the ink that's in there. But I will take your advice and pick up some ammonia if I notice anything funky going on. 

#6 Bigeddie

Bigeddie

Must not purchase more ink.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2013 - 22:32

I'm almost positive there was something growing in there.  I flushed it out with regular dish soap (Mrs. Meyer's Honeysuckle if that at all matters) and filled it back up.  It seems to be working just fine, no clogging or hard starts and no funny smells.  I fill it from a Vac 20 bottle and it's the only pen that uses that bottle so the worst is that I would just have to toss the ink that's in there. But I will take your advice and pick up some ammonia if I notice anything funky going on. 

Cool, I had a brand new 580 that started to smell a bit, but it had only been inked a couple of times from a new bottle. Maybe it's just some substance that they use in manufacture. 

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

#7 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:20

regularly flush them after 2 weeks of use 

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#8 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 15:18

If you're worried about residual wet AND dismantling, after flushing leave the cap off and the piston at full retraction for a day or so.  Evaporation will see to your troubles.

The downside to this is finding a place to leave it where no one will trip on it.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vac 700, vacuum fillers, twsbi

Sponsored Content

|