Top Posters In This Topic

• stopher

• heymatthew

• TheGreatRoe

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a sort of random question.

I backed the Visionnaire. I do like the look of the pen, but am having the same issues as everyone else with the nib/feed/converter. Super scratchy, poor feed causing no ink after just a few seconds of non-use, etc. I'm wondering, has anyone tried replacing the innards of the pen? Where would I even begin looking for the parts to do that?

From what I can tell in the comments and reviews I've read, the nib/feed are glued into the section so they aren't swappable, unfortunately. I can't say for sure, but I doubt it's possible. I think by gluing them in, they eliminated a lot of QC issues as the nib and feed could just be inserted and it wouldn't matter if they were fit properly. Additionally, the gluing process probably resulted in a lot of the feed problems (I'm guessing the nib/feed assembly is clogged or misaligned, but can't be adjusted because it's permanently fitted).

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

That's unfortunate. I truly do like the design of the pen, and normally write with the pen unposted, so the weight is pretty good, but the flow issue makes it a it of a bear to use regularly. I'm currently using it with some Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, so I'll try a few other inks and see what happens. Might also try taking it apart and see what happens. I guess, worst case, I end up with a $40 paperweight for when I'm writing with my Lamy Safari...

If you're prepared to potentially trash the pen, you might want to try taking heat and solvents (separately!) to the section to see if you can get rid of the glue. Might be a fun experiment, and I don't think that any of you who were unfortunate enough to get stuck with one have much to lose if you give it a shot.

That's unfortunate. I truly do like the design of the pen, and normally write with the pen unposted, so the weight is pretty good, but the flow issue makes it a it of a bear to use regularly. I'm currently using it with some Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, so I'll try a few other inks and see what happens. Might also try taking it apart and see what happens. I guess, worst case, I end up with a $40 paperweight for when I'm writing with my Lamy Safari...

I thought the pen came with a lifetime warranty. If it does, will you send the pen back for an exchange?

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I took the pen down as far as I could without tools, but wasn't able to get the Nib or Feed out. Using a flashlight, I looked into the top of the feed area, and it does appear as if there are threads in there, so am left wondering if, like everything else, it wasn't just ratcheted down so tight that I can't get it to move. May get brave and see if some pliers don't make it move. Might end up trying to use the warranty after all...

Regarding the nib/feed, it is glued in rather than screwed in. In absence of the adhesive or the converter holding it in place from the other side, it is rather loose. When it is separated from the grip to looks something like this: https://www.lanierpens.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NIBBF-B&gclid=CL6JlJ7ZxLsCFfPm7Aod_0UAUw, where the nib and feed are a single piece.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent an email to Visionnaire, asking about the nib, and the reply that I got back is that it is a fixed nib, and is non-replaceable. However, in my fiddling with it, it seems to write much better now. Not sure what I did. I also changed the ink at the same time, so that could just as easily have done it. Was using Noodler's 54th Mass. and now am using R&K Alt-Bordeaux. Funny thing is that the R&K is a faster drying ink (in my testing) so it should have made the issues worse, not better.

One thing I did notice was that the nib was aligned a it off center of the feed, and I was able to get it closer to centered. I'm not familiar enough with how the feed/nib relationship is but it seems like that might have been a contributing factor.

Just to contribute to the topic.

when this Kickstarter was active i've in fact found very similar pens at AliBaba, i've also contacts MontBlanc, Parker and Bock (As Morgan was claiming then that pens had German nibs as i Made in Germany, and that manufacturer of the pen was the same as Mont Blanc and Parker. ) I've even posted some of the communication here.

I've also alerted the Kickstarter stuff 3 weeks before the project was concluded, and has provided them all my communication and links to AliBaba.

Unfortunately as you can see, the project wasn't suspended, while several of my posts with link to surprisingly similar Chinese pens (that were on sale even before the project was concluded) were removed by Kickstarter.

You can still find a number of them there, if you want.

This basically indicates, how much Kickstarter care about potential resale and breaching of their own rules.

Just to contribute to the topic.

when this Kickstarter was active i've in fact found very similar pens at AliBaba, i've also contacts MontBlanc, Parker and Bock (As Morgan was claiming then that pens had German nibs as i Made in Germany, and that manufacturer of the pen was the same as Mont Blanc and Parker. ) I've even posted some of the communication here.

I've also alerted the Kickstarter stuff 3 weeks before the project was concluded, and has provided them all my communication and links to AliBaba.

Unfortunately as you can see, the project wasn't suspended, while several of my posts with link to surprisingly similar Chinese pens (that were on sale even before the project was concluded) were removed by Kickstarter.

You can still find a number of them there, if you want.

This basically indicates, how much Kickstarter care about potential resale and breaching of their own rules.

WOW. That is very interesting to hear.

Time to put Pen to Paper

WOW. That is very interesting to hear.

You can see some of my messages on the first page of this very topic (for instance Boch representative stating, that ""Those lousy nibs should have been made by Chinese or Indian manufacturers.""), but i was mainly active on Kickstarter in the main comment section of the pen description. I've also repeatedly suggested Morgan to change description of the pen to make it less misleading (originally it was german hand made nib out of Iridium and so on), which he did. My real name is Egor Tilpunov and you can still see most of those posts (mainly between July 17 - Jul-21, as i was on sick leave and could devote more time to the research) ). First i've tried to get detailed answers regarding manufacturing process, (including issues that were also raised by other backers) and on August 1 i've posted a link to a very similar looking pen (the cap was very slightly different) at AliBaba and asked to describe the difference. As you see, my Aug 1 message was removed by Kickstarter, even though i wasn't making any direct accusations.

Somewhere around those days it became evident to me that this project was a clear resale fraud and i've reported it to the Kickstarter attaching all statements and emails i've received from MontBlanc, Parker and Boch as well as the links to simmilar pen at Alibaba suggesting to look into it. I've never heard from Kickstarter since.

Probably another reason to back something on the Kickstarter only if you are absolutely confident in the project creator, as Kickstarter never bothers in checking those projects (unless it is as evident as Koba beef jerkey) and cares only about getting their 5%.

Edited by edelgul

Thankfully, I was one of the few that searched before being sucked into the Visionnaire. I actually got into Fountain Pens a few weeks before this, but I was still debating whether to get it.

I just got back from watching "The Wolf of Wall Street"… three hours of Martin Scorsese with many of the scenes reminiscent of "Good Fellas".

Why do I bother you with this and why here? Because a set-up at the beginning and at the end of the movie have the DiCaprio character challenging people seated in front of him to "Sell me this pen".

See the movie!

Edited by Dickkooty2

I just got back from watching "The Wolf of Wall Street"… three hours of Martin Scorsese with many of the scenes reminiscent of "Good Fellas".

Why do I bother you with this and why here? Because a set-up at the beginning and at the end of the movie have the DiCaprio character challenging people seated in front of him to "Sell me this pen".

See the movie!

Low and behold, i made it back home without a scratch on the car! :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Awesome movie! Not for everyone though.

Back to the Visionnaire. Looks like Morgan has gone A-Wall based on the comments in the campaign. Is it vintage race time again? ;)

Time to put Pen to Paper