Among all the Italian pens out there what is your favourite:

1. Visconti

2. Aurora.

3. Omas

4. Delta

5. Stipula

6. Montegrappa

7. Others you can think off.

If I were to buy a new FP and an Italian one I think it would be the Visconti Homo Sapiens, just love this pen. And the larger version too.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• Azura

• AltecGreen

• Christopher Godfrey

The Delta Dolce Vita oversize is a lovely pen – especially with the 18 karat original millennium Nib. However, the Visconti Homo sapiens lava pen with the Palladium nib is superior to almost anything else I have experienced. I enjoy them both, very much, but the Visconti has more ink run through it, by far. As always, my recommendation is to buy what you love.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

The Delta Dolce Vita oversize is a lovely pen – especially with the 18 karat original millennium Nib. However, the Visconti Homo sapiens lava pen with the Palladium nib is superior to almost anything else I have experienced. I enjoy them both, very much, but the Visconti has more ink run through it, by far. As always, my recommendation is to buy what you love.

I have seen and tried the Visconti Homo Sapiens here in Perth, Australia and there are two variants a large one with a larger nib (the one I like) and a slightly smaller one with a smaller nib, I think they have a 21K palladium nib I am correct but I am not sure if the accents aound them are gold, silver copper or brass, mind you the large one here in over $800 Aust, I could probbaly get this same pen cheaper over seas or online.

I have the Homo Sapiens in the oversize model and loved it when I had a fine nib on it but I exchanged it for a stub nib which, I find does not work with my handwriting. I'm still thinking of buying another nib for the HS so I can use it again.

The original HS has bronze hardware whereas the Steel Age is, well, steel.

However, in my opinion I think the definitive Italian pen is the OMAS Paragon. I like both the old style and new style but prefer the latter. You can't go wrong with either one. I'm currently waiting for my second celluloid Paragon (new style, Arco Bronze) from a fellow FPN member and I can't wait for it. OMAS nibs work wonderfully right out of the box as opposed to many from Montegrappa which, is my favorite brand.

Sorry for rambling but I recommend an OMAS.

Omas Art Deco in red. I also have an Ogiva but it was off to Italy to repair a faulty piston and it's not back yet. Now that has a serious nib but the titanium one on the Art Deco is wonderful too. Oh yes.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Hi

My favorite Italian pen is the Sheaffer Valor

Chaim

Chaim Seymour

David Elazar 8

Givat Shemuel

Israel

I don't think I can honestly pick one Italian brand and say it's my favorite. There are several Italian brands that simply haven't had any pens I've wanted yet but of the Italian pens I do own, OMAS, Montegrappa, Grifos, Aurora, Signum, Ferrari da Varese, I can't say any one maker is my favorite.

Among all Italian pen makers my favorite is definitely Aurora, they know how to sparkle interest in offering a range of different designs and finishing.
However, my latest Italian purchase was a Loclen, a brand that I noticed on Pen World magazine, and I have to say that impressed me a lot (you can check my Loclen review on the Fountain Pen review section).
It’s true when they say that design and quality come from Italy.

Good Captain (squire!), can you comment on the physical feel or comparison between Omas plus titanium and Stipula with tianium nib, I wonder? You already advised me elsewhere on the Omas, I believe...

I am a big Omas fan and have a titanium nib lying around; but want to know more about Stipula. (Anyone?)

I really like the Aurora Optima line. The black resin w/ gold furniture is the grail I pursue.

Good Captain (squire!), can you comment on the physical feel or comparison between Omas plus titanium and Stipula with tianium nib, I wonder? You already advised me elsewhere on the Omas, I believe...

I am a big Omas fan and have a titanium nib lying around; but want to know more about Stipula. (Anyone?)

The titanium nib just has that bit of 'spring' in it that is really pleasant to use. It's certainly not 'flexible' in the way that a lot of people would describe some nibs. I'm using Montblanc Midnight Blue in that pen all the time but it's possible that inks with the 'capacity' for shading would really show off this nib. I can't comment on the Stipula though; sorry.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Hi

My favorite Italian pen is the Sheaffer Valor

Chaim

Love it! +1 on the subversiveness of this post ^_~ :thumbup:

1. Omas

2. Montegrappa

3. Stipula

4. Early Ancora's

5. Aurora

6. Delta

7. Visconti

and vintages in all above except 6 and 7.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Coming from the bottom end of the market, I have pens from three bottom tier makers: Wilson, Walker, and Universal. The 80's era Walker has a rolled tip which glides across the paper like no other pen I have. However the barrel is made from a cheap plastic that is starting to crack.

I also have a Scudderia Ferrari pen bought this past April at Rome's airport. It is a misaligned IPG and quite the rip-off. I was chaperoning a school trip and unable to go to any pen shops in Rome...

My Italian Pens:

1. Stipula - Have 2 Rainbow Etrurias and a Vedo. Meticulously Italian!
  2. Visconti - Love the Rembrandt!
  3. Montegrappa - The Fortuna Gun Metal has killer looks! Fantastic writer too!
  4. Aurora - The pen that got me started - Thanks to the Aurora Idea. Have 2 Styles too!

Aurora 88 (modern big size) and Optima are my favourite Italian pens.

Sheaffer Valor (also made in Italy) is also high on my list, as it is for Chaim.

#1 to #38 - Stipula Etruria piston filler (26), Etruria Retractibles (2), Etruria Convertibles (6), Iris (2), Verrazzano (1), Laurus (1) :D.

#39 to #56 - Stipula Etruria c/c (17), including a Media (1)

Then there are a few Passaportos and Modello-Ts, a few Novecentos, and a Da Vinci Cracked Ice, which I all use be it less often.

I must say I do like the new OS versions, slightly bigger than the older ones, but I only have a few to play with. and I have a few Cleopatras I still need to play with too - those look gorgeous too :D.

I also own a few Auroras, a Visconti, an Omas (had 2, but only 1 left), but those are not being used at all :). The Auroras are ok, but doesn't call my name, the Visconti dries out too rapidly, the Omases: the less said the better - no luck with those.

Of all my Stips I actually prefer the celluloid models over the resin ones, with the exception of the De Architectura series, which to me rank equally with the celluloid ones.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I have several pens by Italian makers and like them all. My favorites are from Omas (a 20+ year old full size Paragon; a Milord-size Paragon of roughly the same vintage; a 360 Vintage LE in "blue cotton resin" from 2012; and a new Extra Lucens LE that arrived this week). Each is light in weight, comfortable in my hand, and a smooth writer. And they're piston fillers, which I prefer.

Edited by RobertS