Darkest Black Ink

kassie

Hello everyone. I'm new here and I'm not sure this is the right forum topic but I'm guessing it is. I've been trying out many types of black ink, and recently stuck with Aurora Black considering it's the most pigmented and dark black ink I've tried out so far and it dries pretty fast too. I was wondering if anyone who has ever tried Aurora Black could let me know if there is any other brand of black ink that's even more pigmented and darker than this one. Thanks a lot in advance :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• lapis

• Fabienne

• kassie

I'm watching...

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

...only because personally, I don't use black.

I just want to read the comments.

Welcome to FPN, and I'm sure you will get a lot of fun out of here not to mention a lot of information. I've learnt a lot in the couple of years I've been 'here'.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Have you looked through the multitude of ink reviews here?

Also, there must be at least a hundred threads here that ask the same quesion and go on, seemingly, forever.

YMMV

I'm going to dig up the bottle of Franklin-Christoph Black Magic that I've been afraid of using............

Now paper chromatography is by no means any proof of anything but there is still a correlation between "pureness" and what we actually, subjectively can see.

If you take a look at this experiment, I'll still say that for me the darkest black -- i.e. no grey, no other "colour" than black -- is likely Noodler's Black or HOD or PR's invincible (I still detect a hint of green)I, or... best of all Kiva-Guro.

BTW Aurora's is not a real pigmented-ink but rather a dye-ink.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Noodler's X-Feather is the darkest black I have ever used--and no other visible colors in it (to my eye).

Have you looked through the multitude of ink reviews here?

Also, there must be at least a hundred threads here that ask the same quesion and go on, seemingly, forever.

now 101 <shrug>

My fingers were tingling waiting for The Good Captain to turn up...didn't have to wait long. He loves to talk about which black is blacker. :thumbup: And he never disappoints.

OK, it has been one of my most earnest quests to answer that query for myself. I would have sworn to you with hand on Bible two weeks ago that it is Noodler's Black but now I have to thank the gallant and gentle Tim for disabusing me of that notion. I have found through patient unremunerated toil that Old Manhattan by Noodler's (exclusive to Fountain Pen Hospital) is the blackest of all blacks I can run through my fountain pens. Even Sailor Nano Black is not as dark.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Hello everyone. I'm new here and I'm not sure this is the right forum topic but I'm guessing it is. I've been trying out many types of black ink, and recently stuck with Aurora Black considering it's the most pigmented and dark black ink I've tried out so far and it dries pretty fast too. I was wondering if anyone who has ever tried Aurora Black could let me know if there is any other brand of black ink that's even more pigmented and darker than this one. Thanks a lot in advance :)

There are about a million "blackest black" topics. A search will bring them all up for you Short answer: Aurora is the blackest.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Oh wow, thank you all so much for the amazing and quick replies :) I did look through the few first topics on the subject but since I don't really understand a few terms which were being used and often people had different opinions and answers, I thought I'd take my chance and ask again. Also thanks for the welcomes!

My fingers were tingling waiting for The Good Captain to turn up...didn't have to wait long. He loves to talk about which black is blacker. :thumbup: And he never disappoints.

OK, it has been one of my most earnest quests to answer that query for myself. I would have sworn to you with hand on Bible two weeks ago that it is Noodler's Black but now I have to thank the gallant and gentle Tim for disabusing me of that notion. I have found through patient unremunerated toil that Old Manhattan by Noodler's (exclusive to Fountain Pen Hospital) is the blackest of all blacks I can run through my fountain pens. Even Sailor Nano Black is not as dark.

I'm neither gallant nor gentle, but Fabienne and I worked together on this one and agreed. OMB is pretty amazing stuff, and it actually dries pretty quickly, which is an issue for me, since I'm a lefty overwriter. Even faster when diluted around 10% with water.

I don't think, by the way, that 101 topics about black ink is too many. I've learned from every one.

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

I have only been using fountain pens for about a year. I currently have Aurora black, Noodler's Zhivago and Chesterfield obsidian. Aurora is definitely the blackest, of those three...and the wettest.

Oh Gad, someone said Akkerman! Ohhhh nooooo! BTW tmenyc is great to work with. Much fun exploring the Black of Manhattan! But his Sailor Nano smells fine indeed!

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Oh Gad, someone said Akkerman! Ohhhh nooooo!

Should I bury my inkwell in the sand?

* No one here said it was your party.

Edited by MisterBoll

Noodler's Old Manhattan Black

Platinum Carbon Black

Sailor Nano Black

Virtually as black if not as black:

Aurora

Pelikan in a wet pen

I think J. Herbin Perle Noire is very, very black, probably one of the blackest

Many to choose from!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

It depends on what type of black you want. Do you want a warm black? Try noodlers HOD or dark matter..it has hints of brown. If you like cool black try Aurora black which has hints of grey. Look at comparisons on goulet pens website. You can easily see what I'm talking about. But I have both :) since I alternate being cool and hot.