Unexpensive Fp Repair

bnavas6

A while ago I discovered this pen thrown around a draw...
It was a cheap Chinese pen with a marble-like body and oak cap finished with chromed fittings.
The nib was damaged and tines blended apart. Moreover the ink cartridge was damaged and it leaked blocking off the feed and leaving horrible strains in the body.
so yesterday I decided to dive the body into a weak bleached solution and restore the feed.
As the nib was completely damaged and I had a spare semi-flex steel nib from fountainpenrevolution I decided to try a swap...
First attempt was a completely fail. The nib´s body diameter was just too big to generate enough pressure against the feed so the ink didn´t flow at all...
Then I decided to cut part of the body of an old falcon nib from a drip pen and press it between the pen´s nib holder and the nib so it created extra pressure...
And voilá! after converting it into an eyedropper, the pen works perfectly! Some work needs to be done in the feed to allow more flow as the previous nib was extra fine and this is medium. Also as the nib has some flex, the feed can´t just deliver enough ink so this weekend I´ll do some work around it.
After 20 mins of work and 7 pounds spent on a nib and some silicon grease, I have a semi-flex pen that behaves very well for everyday use

This morning as I had to do some work with the feed, I also decided to tweek a little bit the nib and give it some polish...

post-105068-0-61128700-1372507873_thumb.jpg

post-105068-0-33145600-1372507876_thumb.jpg

post-105068-0-67392800-1372507879_thumb.jpg

post-105068-0-82077500-1372507881_thumb.jpg

------Some Red ink in my veins------

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bnavas6

• pajaro

• Fabienne

• YouCollectMe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All very nice. I like what you have done.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks! I guess the bottom line is: If you really like a pen, all the time spent to make it work as you´d like is worthwhile ;)

Those nibs from fountainpenrev are a very interesting option (cheap and semi-flex). Unfortunately they only come in Broad but not a big as long as you have some sand paper ;)

post-105068-0-73358900-1372585230_thumb.jpg

------Some Red ink in my veins------

Nice handwriting, too!

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg