J. Herbin Gris Nuage Vs Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun

lancecreeks

Hi FPN,

Recently I'm thinking of using an FP + gray ink to replace mechanical pencils in taking lecture notes. I need to keep the ink gray in order to distinguish "in-lecture" notes from post-lecture additional notes, yet the lack of permanence of pencil lead is getting on my nerves, so I'm wondering if FP + gray ink is a suitable substitute with this purpose in mind. Mostly my notes will be in the form of annotations on printed powerpoint slides as opposed to sheets and sheets of writing.

I'm wondering which of the inks mentioned in the title, when written from a Pilot fine nib (there's no negotiating this), resembles pencil lead more. I'm concerned that Gris Nuage may come out too light in a fine nib, yet I've heard that Fuyu-syogun is a wet one among Iro inks and may feather/ bleed. So I'm wondering if anyone can give a comparison of the 2, in terms of performance in fine nibs, wetness and if possible, water resistance and fade resistance. (Kiri-same is not really my cup of tea.)

Given my locale, it is not cost-effective to try out samples, and J. Herbin and Iroshizuku are the only brands with gray inks that are locally available. Since MB Albert Einstein is only limited edition, it is out of consideration, and MB Oyster Gray is not always available, but if anyone can comment, I'd welcome it too.

Thanks a lot! :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Norlander

• colrehogan

• cyclemanic

• lancecreeks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are correct -- Gris Nuage will be too light. Since Iroshizuku is locally available, you may find their Kiri-same to be a closer match.

Hi lancecreeks,

I've had good experience with Fuyu-Syogun that was loaded into a Lamy Safari with a F nib. Though your Pilot nib would be slightly finer, I believe the ink would perform at a similar level.

With regards to your main concern about permanence, I reckon Fuyu-Syogun to be rather commendable. Though not completely waterproof, a la Noodler's Black or Sailor Sei-Boku, the occasional splash or drop of water would hardly diminish legibility. In addition, it doesn't fade too much over time, for notes written more than a year ago that have been left in natural room lighting (though not exposed to direct sunlight) are still very readable.

I hope this helps you!

Edit: coming from the Safari nib, it does resemble a darker pencil, one with say 3B lead

Edited by cyclemanic

The Iroshi is not waterproof but still more so than the Herbin. Also the Iroshi is more saturated (although not as much as Noodler's or PRs). Herbin's looks a bit washed out and/or watered down.

You might like to try out Diamine's Graphite. Has a slight touch of green which I find quite similar to the lead in lead pencils (at least B or 2B).

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I'm pretty sure Gris Nuages would be way too light. I've only tried it in a medium nib, true, but I had to inject some purple into the cartridge to come up with something I could actually reliably see.

J. Herbin Cacao du Bresil might be a good ink to use, technically, it isn't a gray but it's pretty close, it is darker than Gris Nuage and about as water resistant which is practically nil.

Diamine Grey and Diamine Graphite are pretty decent too

Actually, the best gray water resistant ink that I ever had was when I took a small bottle of Pelikan Fount India Ink and heavily diluted it with distilled water to use for sketching. One little bottle can make a lot of gray ink :)

Edited by WC Lee

Noodler's Lexington Gray is waterproof, and looks just like pencil on paper. It may feather a bit on some papers, can't remember because I hardly ever use it - not much of a gray person I guess.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Out of the inks you mentioned I think Oyster Grey would be your best bet if you can get your hands on it. I know you said those were the only brands you can easily source in Hong Kong, but I would also recommend Diamine Grey and Diamine Graphite. If you buy directly from Diamine their prices for both inks and shipping are very reasonable. Less than £3 for a 30mL bottle of ink plus £5 shipping if you keep it 5 bottles or under, I believe it's £10 if you have over that amount.

Gris Nuage is a gorgeous color, but it's incredibly light. I'm not sure it would be at all legible out of a fine Pilot. I will also second the recommendation for Cacao du Brésil. Its a lovely grey that is too warm to be mistaken for pencil, but still (I think) appropriate for school work.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Although I don't have the J. Herbin ink in the title, I have the fuyu-syogun and a few of the others mentioned. I put each of them in my Pilot Namiki Falcon with an F nib. See attached.

post-42935-0-99176800-1372618145_thumb.jpg

Smith Premier No. 4