• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penne Stilografiche

• Dj Shift

• inkstainedruth

• Algester

Well, call me prejudiced, but from what I've seen there it seems to me that price tags don't guarantee elegance/aesthetics.

(my personal opinion - another one might find these pens nice and beautiful, I would only take them in order to sell them as quickly as possible and buy one that pleases me)

anyway, thanks for posting!

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

Oh well, some Russian billionaires will be very happy to be able to boast with them, and thus enabling these companies to make normal pens for us poor blighters...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I wonder how many Parker 51s I would buy with that kind of money.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Forget buying pens with that money, I'll hire a secretary who'll do ALL my writings. No more pens for me!

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

I wonder how many Parker 51s I would buy with that kind of money.

With the value all of those pens combined, you could buy into Parker and convince your partners to rerelease the 51 again! In actuality though, if you had the $1,400,000 pen, you could sell it and buy 23,334 Parker 51's assuming they cost $60 a piece.

Edited by collectiblepens.com

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

If you were to try to buy that number of P51s, they would soon go up in price to a level reaching the lower level of those pens mentioned......

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Ugh! All the pens mentioned in that list are hanging.

They're too tacky to be sold in gift shops on Blackpool Prom.

Edited by Vendome

Long reign the House of Belmont.

Okay, so I've been making up pen wraps to help fund the fountain pen indulgence. After I read the description of that most expensive fountain pen to my husband, he just shook his head. "You've got a lot of pen wraps to go. You better get sewing." Being the mathematician he is, and helpful in the way husbands are wont to be, he started calculating, "Well, at an hour and a half per wrap and . . . ."

The thing about those pens, though, is not only do they look like you couldn't actually write with them, they are all bling and no beauty. A million and a half ought to at least get you something of aesthetic value. Of course, blowing a million on an ugly pen is not something I will ever have to worry about!

Edited by Daisy25

My Pen Wraps and Sleeves for Sale Here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaisyFair

Let's face it you are looking at jewelry not fountain pens. Most likely you would be buying a status symbol to put in your safe, not to be inked, so that you have bragging rights that you have one. To each his own, I guess!

If that is truth, and well, it is, beyond the bling vulgarity of new richness, I thing is the best way to hide millions of dollars behind a tile in a floor and not in those massive mechanical weak cajas Fuertes (vaults?) in your office. Not talking about laundry money of course, lol.

Okay, so I've been making up pen wraps to help fund the fountain pen indulgence. After I read the description of that most expensive fountain pen to my husband, he just shook his head. "You've got a lot of pen wraps to go. You better get sewing." Being the mathematician he is, and helpful in the way husbands are wont to be, he started calculating, "Well, at an hour and a half per wrap and . . . ."

The thing about those pens, though, is not only do they look like you couldn't actually write with them, they are all bling and no beauty. A million and a half ought to at least get you something of aesthetic value. Of course, blowing a million on an ugly pen is not something I will ever have to worry about!

That's the funny thing about those pens, they all look ugly. Take this pen for example.... It costs over $10,000 and looks like a baby created the design, especially the clip..

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/MONTEGRAPPA-LUXOR-BLUE-NILE-GOLD-LIMITED-FOUNTAIN-PEN-/00/$(KGrHqF,!hkE3v(69UT+BOF9N64E0Q~~_3.JPG?rt=nc

—Oscar Wilde

For a bit of perspective, I bought my first house for $10,000. (Rural North Dakota at a time when the economy was not booming.) My current one is a $50,000 house.

So, I look at these pens and wonder if I can get the kind of pleasure from them that I get from my house. Actually, this price range isn't even on my fantasy level. A few of these pens would actually buy several fantasy houses for me. (Obviously, a mansion isn't in my housing fantasies.)

And then I looked at the pens and not a single one was particularly attractive. Several would be awkward to hold with all the bizarre adornment. These are pens designed for display and to show off, not for every day use.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I guess the super rich would rather spend their Benjamin's on these pens rather than using it for toilet paper. I just find it funny that most ultra expensive items are super ugly. Just take a look in some antique books, the prices if some of the ugliest pieces are quite comical.

—Oscar Wilde

I am with most of you and unable to progress out of the $1,000 to 2,000 is a lot for any fountain pen and having a dickens of a time getting my head to comprehend when I could ever spend $10,000 on jewellery.

i am also intrigued about houses that are costing under $50,000 and I so need to stop buying pens and start buying real estate.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

I am with most of you and unable to progress out of the $1,000 to 2,000 is a lot for any fountain pen and having a dickens of a time getting my head to comprehend when I could ever spend $10,000 on jewellery.

i am also intrigued about houses that are costing under $50,000 and I so need to stop buying pens and start buying real estate.

I suspect you could probably get a house in rural Northern Ontario in that price range?

After looking at all those pens, I think I'd rather have my Lamy ABC. I compare all nibs to the nib that came with mine. I have an A nib, and the pen cost €10 including shipping when I bought it. The converter cost another €3. Also, it has my name on it. How many pens can have your name marked clearly on them in your handwriting? It is also made of wood. How many commercial fountain pens are made with wood? I'm sure there are not so many, but this is one of them. Also, LAMY customer service is very good, and if anything happened, I'm sure they would repair it. It has never been back for repairs though. It's very reliable. I always look at it and wonder why I have all these other expensive pens that write just as well, but cost so much more.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/9226497425_0f30c2ca9c_b.jpg

Still, I think the Aurora in the group would probably write well, but it would be annoying to fill. Imagine trying to get all the ink off the textured grip section. I think my Aurora Optima would write just as well and be less of a hassle. Sadly, it is mostly bling and not so much function. I want a pen that looks nice and writes well. Maybe this one? It's my Hastil.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7359/9229322062_d408609656_b.jpg

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Continuing the not so user friendly, unattractive, ridiculous price, status symbol theme: I think they missed this one.

I guess Montegrappa really was counting on 12/21/12?

Forgot to add, the rollerball version of this pen is more expensive.

Edited by thedeacon

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

Just blingy pens with useless diamonds

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Wow. Pricey. I can't imagine using one of those pens to write with, but I assume that they are more for jewelry.